Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Can't open .top file in e-sword app

Gospels

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 levyntootsie

levyntootsie

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 August 2014 - 08:41 PM

I downloaded the module Robertson's A.T., Harmony of the Gospel but it can't open in e-sword v. 10 app. Can you help please? thanks.

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 24 August 2014 - 12:51 AM

Click "Bible" from the main e-Sword menu - click "Harmony" - and you should see an entry for the module you downloaded. By the way, this isn't a .topx file.

Edited by journey, 24 August 2014 - 12:52 AM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 24 August 2014 - 02:59 PM

I find this to be one of the most amusing requests for help that I've come across. The reason for this is that some just don't know what file type they are downloading and then don't understand why it doesn't load in e-Sword, or assume that it doesn't load in e-Sword. This seems to show a complete nescience of file types that e-Sword uses.

Another thing is the frustrating part about it, that it seems users are really not using the e-Sword help system, which should be the first port of call for help for any problems they encounter with e-Sword.

So, with that, here is a bit of timely advise which I hope users will grab a hold of so that life would be a bit sweeter, and make your life a bit easier:

• Take notice of where you downloaded a file from. e-Sword uses a lot of different file types, and each file type is used for that particular part of the program. Not all resource files are *.top or *.topx  (Topic Note) files.
  • If you are a new e-Sword user, explore the program and get to know it. In other words, familiarize yourself with the program. Also e-Sword has a very comprehensive documentation called the "e-Sword User Guide." It comes with the instillation program of e-Sword, and it is installed along with e-Sword. You can access it from your help menu (requires a pdf reader, i.e., Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader, or similar. Windows 8x has its own pdf reader which comes with the OS), and actually read the user guide. Use it as part of your familiarization of e-Sword.
  • Notice what resources goes where, and doing that become accustomed to the file types e-Sword uses.
    • Different note editor files are user created ones, and e-Sword generates three different types
      • Topic Note Editor files have the extension topx
      • Study Note Editor Files have the extension of notx
      • Journal Note Editor files have the extension of jnlx
    • Non editable resource files e-Sword uses are:
      • Bible Files are bblx and seen in the Bible Window/pane
      • Commentary Files are cmtx and seen in the Commentary Window/pane
      • Dictionary files are dctx and are seen in the Dictionary Window/pane
      • Graphic files such as maps are mapx, and seen in the floating Graphics Window
      • Devotional files are devx and are seen in the floating Devotional Window
      • Reference Library files are refx files, and are seen in the floating Reference Library Window
      • Harmony of the Gospel files are harx files, and are seen in the Harmony floating Window.

This is only the basics of what e-Sword uses, and all of this information is in the e-Sword User Guide, plus a lot more as well.

So, with all of this information I've just shared, I really hope I don't see a title like "Can't open .top file in e-Sword app" when its a .harx file or something else.LOLY.gif

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#4 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 August 2014 - 03:38 PM

this is am exe so you will have to install it note where it downloads so you can find it

Go to

the editor window

Press control and right click  

go to the folder where the file was downloaded

above the open button change topx to old top the viable list will change toall top files

find the top file click on it and open it you will now have a topx file from the top file

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Gospels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users