Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

Making a e-sword bible module from a word document.

4 replies to this topic

#1 skazclaw

skazclaw

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:30 AM

Hi all,

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question, but I can't really find what I'm looking for.

I have a whole bible (OT and NT) in a word document, I would really like to convert it so it will work in e-sword like the other bibles. It has some extra notes for some of the words in the bible verse, these notes are listed on the footer of the page on the word document. Would it be possible to add these notes in e-sword kind of like KJV+ (strongs words) bible?

I had a brief go at using tooltip, where I manually copied and pasted each separate verse from the word document to tooltip. Obviously this would take a long time. Is there a more efficient way to go about this? I don't have that much experience but should be able to learn without too much problem.

I have attached one page of the word document so you can see how it is formated currenly.

All help is appreciated. LORD bless.

Attached Files

#2 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:30 PM

I can only help with 2 problems

Make a copy and save the whole Bible as a rtf document.

Open the rtf with notepad (it looks ugly)

problem 1: some verses using a non-breakable space instead of a normal space

copy the space between 11 And

click on edit replace

copy the space and replace all with a normal space

Problem 2: place the verse numbers paralel

by replace

type a dubble space follow by a number

type \par follow by a number

examples

\par 1

Replace all

\par 2

Replace all

keep doing this until number 9

save the document

Edited by Katoog, 21 July 2014 - 01:54 PM.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#3 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Copy and paste verse by verse is painful. I looked at your single page document in TooltipNT.  I did the follow to the text  which if the formatting is consistent, can be applied to the rest of the text.  I noticed that the document has the scripture text in paragraph blocks which e-Sword does not directly support.  I also noticed that each version is marked by 2 spaces before the verse number, after the first verse.  Knowing this, I opened the DOC file in TooltipNT.  Using the Multi-Line edit dialog box, Ctrl+Shift+R, I converted all paragraph symbols to vertical tab (Shift+Enter) + a paragraph symbol (Enter).  Next converted all double spaces to a paragraph symbol.  Several verses contained multiple sentences.  I changed the paragraph symbol to a vertical tab in those.  Then using the Fill-In toolbar, selected the first chapter and added "Ruth 1:" before each paragraph.  I did the same for the second paragraph, noting that the "2" marking the start of the second paragraph needed to be changed to 1, added "Ruth 2:" to the paragraphs in the second chapter.  I moved the section headers into the text.  I then deleted all the other non-verse text.  This took just a few minutes.  If it were my project, I would cheat and write some code to do this all automatically.  The result is as follows...

Ruth 1:1  Elimelech and his Family sojourn in Moab.
And it came to pass in the days when the judges judged, that there was a famine in the land.
And a certain man of Beth-lehem-judah went to sojourn in the country of Moab, he, and his wife, and his two sons.
Ruth 1:2 And the name of the man was Elimelech, and the name of his wife Naomi, and the name of his two sons Mahlon and Chilion, Ephrathites of Beth-lehem-judah.
And they came into the country of Moab, and continued there.
Ruth 1:3 And Elimelech, Naomi’s husband, died; and she was left, and her two sons.
Ruth 1:4 And they took them wives of the women of Moab; the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth: and they dwelt there about ten years.
Ruth 1:5 And Mahlon and Chilion died both of them; and the woman was left of her two children and of her husband.

Ruth 1:6 Then she arose with her daughters-in-law, that she might return from the country of Moab: for she had heard in the country of Moab how that Jehovah had visited his people in giving them bread.
Ruth 1:7 And she went forth out of the place where she was, and her two daughters-in-law with her; and they went on the way to return unto the land of Judah.
Ruth 1:8 And Naomi said unto her two daughters-in-law, Go, return each of you to her mother’s house: Jehovah deal kindly with you, as ye have dealt with the dead, and with me.
Ruth 1:9 Jehovah grant you that ye may find rest, each of you in the house of her husband.
Ruth 1:Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voice, and wept.
Ruth 1:10 And they said unto her, No, but we will return with thee unto thy people.
Ruth 1:11 And Naomi said, Turn again, my daughters: why will ye go with me? have I yet sons in my womb, that they may be your husbands?
Ruth 1:12 Turn again, my daughters, go your way; for I am too old to have a husband.
If I should say, I have hope, if I should even have a husband tonight, and should also bear sons;
Ruth 1:13 would ye therefore tarry till they were grown? would ye therefore stay from having husbands? no, my daughters, for it grieveth me much for your sakes, for the hand of Jehovah is gone forth against me.
Ruth 1:14 And they lifted up their voice, and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law good-bye, but Ruth clave unto her.

Ruth 1:15  Naomi and Ruth return to Judah.
And she said, Behold, thy sister-in-law is gone back unto her people, and unto her god: return thou after thy sister-in-law.
Ruth 1:16 And Ruth said, Entreat me not to leave thee, and to return from following after thee, for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge; thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God;
Ruth 1:17 where thou diest, will I die, and there will I be buried: Jehovah do so to me, and more also, if aught but death part thee and me.
Ruth 1:18 And when she saw that she was stedfastly minded to go with her, she left off speaking unto her.

Ruth 1:19 So they two went until they came to Beth-lehem.
And it came to pass, when they were come to Beth-lehem, that all the city was moved about them, and the women said, Is this Naomi?
Ruth 1:20 And she said unto them, Call me not Naomi, call me Mara; for the Almighty hath dealt very bitterly with me.
Ruth 1:21 I went out full, and Jehovah hath brought me home again empty; why call ye me Naomi, seeing Jehovah hath testified against me, and the Almighty hath afflicted me?
Ruth 1:22 So Naomi returned, and Ruth the Moabitess, her daughter-in-law, with her, who returned out of the country of Moab, and they came to Beth-lehem in the beginning of barley harvest.

Ruth 2:1 And Naomi had a kinsman of her husband’s, a mighty man of wealth, of the family of Elimelech, and his name was Boaz.
Ruth 2:2 And Ruth the Moabitess said unto Naomi, Let me now go to the field, and glean among the ears of grain after him in whose sight I shall find favor.
And she said unto her, Go, my daughter.
Ruth 2:3 And she went, and came and gleaned in the field after the reapers: and her hap was to light on the portion of the field belonging unto Boaz, who was of the family of Elimelech.
Ruth 2:4 And, behold, Boaz came from Beth-lehem, and said unto the reapers, Jehovah be with you.
And they answered him, Jehovah bless thee.
Ruth 2:5 Then said Boaz unto his servant that was set over the reapers, Whose damsel is this?
Ruth 2:6 And the servant that was set over the reapers answered and said, It is the Moabitish damsel that came back with Naomi out of the country of Moab:
Ruth 2:7 and she said, Let me glean, I pray you, and gather after the reapers among the sheaves.
So she came, and hath continued even from the morning until now, save that she tarried a little in the house.

Ruth 2:8 Then said Boaz unto Ruth, Hearest thou not, my daughter?
Go not to glean in another field, neither pass from hence, but abide here fast by my maidens.
Ruth 2:9 Let thine eyes be on the field that they do reap, and go thou after them; have I not charged the young men that they shall not touch thee? and when thou art athirst, go unto the vessels, and drink of that which the young men

#4 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Copy and paste verse by verse is painful.

I totally agree with you. However there is an actual advantage to this despite it, well, only being one advantage. The only other reason is one has a strong masochistic streak to where he/she simply loves pain.

From my experience, and I only can speak from my experience, when looking back at it, the only reason for doing it verse by verse is it actually makes it quicker to pick up errors and typos in the text. When I did the Maori Bible, it would have been totally useless using a spell checker to try to pick up spelling errors and typos as the language is obviously not English. So for something like that, with basically a scant knowledge of Te Reo ( that's what the Maori Language is called) with the aid of a couple of Maori Dictionaries,  I hate to admit, I was kinda forced into having to do this verse by verse.

I can't remember the amount of typos I found in the source text, but it was quite large. Not only that, but also the was quite a number of orphaned letters (characters) in the source text that should have been a part of a word, I know that I wouldn't have picked that up by simply using a spell checker.

Moreover, as an example of what I am talking about, when using ether the word Kite (sort of pronounced, kee-te) or the phrase, Ki te (two words) can be confusing because they as spoken in the same way. So when trying to find out which is it suppose to be is quite a daunting exercise especially when one's knowledge of the language is as scant as mine.

So, as a painful experience as it was, being forced to work verse by verse in the creation of the Maori Bible (in Te Reo, Paipera Tapu) was a better way at that time. Beyond that, if its all in English, stick to using TooltipNT (T4).

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#5 skazclaw

skazclaw

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:36 PM

Oh wow, thank you so much for the detailed explainations.

I am going to go through it all shortly, just caught a fever and am quite sick.

Thank you so much once again.

LORD bless.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users