Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Good Background Commentary?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Dan L

Dan L

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 01:50 PM

Hello,

I don't know the e-sword resources very well yet. Can anyone recomend a good background commentary to me?

Thanks

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 05:27 PM

The Charles Ellicott commentary is generally very good, and has very nice introductory material. Try it out and see if it is what you're looking for. Remember to look in the "Book Level" eSword comments for this Introductory material on each book. You can access the book level materials in the commentaries by selecting the "B" button on the commentary tool bar.

If this is not quite what you're looking for, post again in this forum, and give us a little more detail as to what you need.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 Dan L

Dan L

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Thanks Dr. Dave,  I'll take a look.

btw, Your website is very helpful. Thanks for the work you've put into it.

#4 Dan L

Dan L

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 01:30 PM

I read the book level intro to Galatians, not that I'm looking for Galatians info, that's just what I picked.

The Ellicott commentary is pretty good. But it's different than what I was looking for. I was hoping to find something that gave cultural comments on books or verses or just a decent source on that type of cultrial background/history. If it would tell me more about sheep or mustard seeds or head coverings, that would be good. Maybe Ellicott does that, I didn't have a chance to read more than the intro to Galatians I mentioned--it was good, but not what I was looking for.

But since I'm not all knowing, I don't even know if what I'm looking for exists or if it did exist how helpful it would be.  So I'd appriciate any input from others.

Thanks Again,

#5 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 21 June 2014 - 03:25 PM

Hi

Just a suggestion
cmt IVP, topic books manner and custom

myself I am looking for Jewish culture back in the days of Jesus. Like what did He do between 12 years old to 30. If you knew the Jewish ways of learning, you would get a clearer picture of what He did.

But try those modules

thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#6 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 24 June 2014 - 05:49 AM

U will not find in e-sword an up-to-date background commentary (that is FREE). SPEND THE MONEY ON IVP background commentary Old Testament (recommended) and/or IVP background commentary NewTestament.  Consult dictionaries, Bible Encyclopedias as well, STUDY BIBLES (niv, esv) for background

http://www.amazon.co...y/dp/0830814191

And PAY ATTENTION TO THE CONTEXT OF THE PASSAGE NOT THE CONTEXT OF

YOUR THEOLOGY.

MICHAEL

#7 Dan L

Dan L

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:39 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll just have to put the extra work into the Dictionaries, Encyclopedias, and Manners and Customs books.

#8 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:10 PM

estudysource.com also has the ivp in esword format but bit higher price.

#9 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:15 PM

The College Press commentary series has a lot of good background material, especially in the "book" section, but also scattered throughout the comments.  The kind of commentary you are asking for is the kind I'm working on writing.  It's slow going, but I've finished James, Jude, Philemon, II John, and currently am working on Habakkuk.

#10 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 24 June 2014 - 10:10 PM

Dan L

Have you seen the Strong's McClintock Cyclopedia

if Not this may be what your looking for the link is Below

http://www.biblesupp...rature-12-vols/

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users