Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon noob

32 replies to this topic

#11 Gerald Whitney

Gerald Whitney

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

hello I am a linux user myself and i love e-sword but recently had problems installing it. I have found sucess usung play on linux and wine hq  app database for esword. following the instructions for 12.04 play on linux allows me to set up esword in own spot. if you need anymore info please ask i would be glad to help. email: theloveiknow@yahoo.com

#12 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

Linux experimentation has remained interesting.

Mint Cinnamon 17 (now 17.1) became THE distro for me. But, unfortunately, there remained certain programs that required Windows to operate correctly, eSword being one of them, so all machines have at minimum a dual-boot if not a tri-boot.

The necessity of the tri-boot has encouraged further study and experimentation. Windows 7 for eSword, radio programming, and picture editing, Mint Cinnamon as the "go to" distro, but to fully edit the GRUB menu with Grub Customizer I had to use Xubuntu.

Xubuntu...

Not Ubuntu because their menus suck. Not Lubuntu because... I guess it's broken (?). Not Kubuntu because its weirdness exceeds its coolness, and not Ubuntu Mate, because it's just not that cool (albeit, give them some time to develop it further and it may turn into something).

Xubuntu; when Mint Cinnamon fails to do what a Linux distro should, deploy Xubuntu.

Recently I tried to install "Steam" to try a game, but Mint Cinnamon gave me errors. I talked to the charter members of the local "maker space" that is starting. They gave me a series of command lines to run in the terminal, but I got errors after the second line.

But, when I did it in Xubuntu, ZERO problems.

I inadvertantly got my hands on a Windows 8 machine. Since it's not officially mine yet, I didn't want to do any irreversable damage, so I thought a dual-boot was in order; the goal was to leave the Windows 8 partition alone, but just use the Linux partition. I was quite surprised that it seemed near impossible to install Mint Cinnamon, aside from wiping and formatting the drive prior to installation. But, after a brute force partion made with UBCD, I was able to easily instal Xubuntu and leave Windows 8 quite intact.

So, it just struck me today while I was playing with a new-to-me laptop, why not try eSword in Xubuntu.

#13 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

http://xubuntu.org/

Ubuntu Software Center

type "wine" into the search box; click enter

select Wine Windows Program Loader

click More Info

check all boxes, apply, and click install

more boxes may appear; check, apply, and install again

Download, install and run eSword.

I didn't get any errors or notifications during the installation or running of eSword like I did in Cinnamon.

I can scroll through the verses and the F9 and F12 keys work. Clicking on a Strong's number does not link to the Strong's Concordance, but mousing over a references does cause the verse to come up in a window.

This is progress.

#14 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

2guntom, I can appreciate all the time & effort you've put in. I'm a pastor of a small congregation in a small town, but I've kept very busy, so I don't check in too often to BibleSupport. I think (not sure) there's a way to reach me personally through my profile. I'm willing to help, give advice, etc., but email to email would seem more direct.

My church laptop has run Linux Mint for 4 years now. Currently I have LM 17.1, Cinnamon.  I initially had problems getting e-Sword to work with Wine years ago, so I decided since most other software is free in the Linux world that I would pay once for CrossOver.  With CrossOver, I had no difficulty running e-Sword.  As far as working with it for modules and stuff, here

http://www.biblesupp...rossover-linux/

is the link to what I wrote a little over 3 years ago.  Strong's number linking, all that stuff seems to work.

I have also run e-Sword using VirtualBox, but I've decided that overall I prefer it through Crossover.  A few weeks ago I installed Win7.  I have stayed away from dual-boot scenarios for all the GRUB stuff you referred to.  I use Windows for Gramcord/Bible Companion and my favorite DTP program, Picasa, too, but otherwise Linux Mint has been the go-to for years for most daily things, so for those few needs, VirtualBox is fine.

Let me know if I can help.  It sounds like you're doing good learning on your own.

#15 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Jeff :)

#16 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:20 PM

Hmm... Xubuntu is NOT the answer either. I'm very disappointed.

I scrolled down and the page stopped right in the middle of a verse, then everything jerks, the highlighted verse disappears, and I lose my place...

That's just simply not going to work.

CrossOver is not an option for me. There is this unforgiveness that I bear in my heart that I have not repented of that I hold for "trial" ware-

"try" a program, then it stops after running a spear through your heart and your wallet poking out the other end.

I did see an interesting post today http://www.linux.com...install-and-use

This looks promising.

When you download it, under "mirrors" select SourceForge if you are stateside. (No torrents?)

Also, the third screen is supposed to show a partitioning option; I never saw one. It's best to do your partitioning BEFORE the install.

First impressions:

it looks like someone took Windows 8 and Ubuntu and put them in a blender together; the result is a smoothie. I don't like Ubuntu at all, and I like Windows 8 (& 8.1) even less, but this distro is surprisingly easy to use, manipulate and customize.

It has Google Chrome, not Chromium. Surprising.

It has a USB image burner; Mint is the only other one to do that.

Oh, did you notice in the article that Deepin has CrossOver BUILT IN?!?!

Yes, it is BUILT IN!

I installed eSword via CrossOver. I downloaded some extras via eSword's built-in downloader. Everything works. I did get the page scrolling to malfunction once, but no where near as bad as eSword Wined for other distros. Everything works.

I'm still in shock. Really...

I'm going to keep playing with Deepin. If it pans out, this may be what I was looking for. I have wanted a single distro to point people towards to steer them away from Windows and Mac.

Mint Cinnamon was my "go to" with Xubuntu as my backup, but then that switched recently. Mint was what I recommended because I feared Xubuntu would be too hard to explain. Then, I always have that minimum 50GB partition for Windows for all the programs that refuse to work in anything else, or at least aren't covered by my internship at NASA.

Hopefully that helps somebody

Back to playing...

#17 Jeff Kroll

Jeff Kroll

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationMountain Lake Park, Maryland, USA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 10:15 AM

2guntom, Deepin does look attractive & promising. The partition thing seems harder than LM for newbies, tho', which pretty much is automatic, if one needs, and I would think that would point some newbies to LM still.

Yep, my experience was the same. e-Sword on Crossover just works. Re: scrolling, sometimes the scrolling bar isn't present, but just a click in that area brings it back.

Given China's proclivity for doing some fishy stuff in the electronics world, I'd be genuinely surprised in Deepin's Crossover is legit or has no strings attached, but who knows?  Maybe it's an older version meant to attract folks to a newer version?  I basically purchased Crossover once, so a one-time expense for an e-Sword that works easily.

I'll come back here every so often and see if things continue to go well for you with the combo of Deepin & CrossOver.

#18 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

http://www.biblesupp...x/?hl=crossover

That first post in the above thread was perfect- THANK YOU!!! It answered my one lingering question: how do I install my out-of-date module?

My older NIV module installed perfectly per those insstructions.

Edited by 2guntom, 29 January 2015 - 10:32 AM.

#19 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 12:26 PM

I actually had almost abandoned Deepin-

The Google Chrome that was included caused a black screen. I learned that there is a graphics incompatibility, but I noticed the problem arose with Chromium on the same laptop, and with other computers. Moral of the story, delete Google Chrome in Linux (safe for Windows users).

Another thing I didn't like is the interface mimicks Mac. Windows is bad enough, but a company (Apple) that is more contrived and cost 4 times as much, and I have to ingest advertisements in everything I do? Bleck!

But, when I do my Bible study, I use eSword. And, I really want to leave Windows...

So, it was time to try it again.

On the Work horse computer, I manipulated the partitions and made a free space with UBCD Live Beta and GParted. The install went fine, with the only issue that I use 2 monitors. It used both monitors as one big screen which would have been fine if they were side-by-side, but they are stacked. A little weird at first, but managable.

Click on "Deepin Store". In the upper right hand corner is a main menu that looks like an eject button symbol. Click it and select "refresh package lists"; no more sudo apt-get update.  If there are updates, select the blue box in the upper right hand corner to install them all.

In the control center, stacked the displays so they worked right and the desktops functioned correctly. Time zone change and 12 not 24 hour clock. Very smooth, very easy. I had to dump the butterfly or fuzzy kitten user icon (ew!). A quick download of a chinese robot pic made for a more suitable icon.

While in the Deepin Store I found Kingsoft (WPS) Office; very cool. I have not fully adapted to Linux versions of office-type tools and programs. Some are okay and others are based in OpenOffice. OpenOffice used to be a nice alternative to Microsoft Office, but a few years ago they changed something; the result was bad- it was worse than Microsoft. I had tried to install Kingsoft in other Linux distros, but all were failures. Thank you Deepin Store!

The Deepin Store's selection is somewhat unique; it is different than Mint Cinnamon's Software Manager or the Ubuntu Software Center. Deepin has done very well here.

Next, right click on the dock. Select "classic mode". That looks like what I'm used to and it takes up less screen space, and it can be hidden for even more.

I performed a quick test of the Deepin Boot Maker bootable usb tool. Previously I had tried to make a bootable USB for Zorin OS to no avail; Unetbootin, PenDrive Linux' Universal tool, and Mint Cinnamon's tool all failed. I had to burn a DVD. Deepin Boot Maker worked! I don't know what to say, but WOW!.

FlashPlayer may have to be updated manually; thankfully this is easy to do- Deepin Store, search for "flash", select and install flashplugin.

Everything about Deeping seems promising, and everything does not require an owners manual to operate.

There are only 2 things left to do:

1) I need to find a battery widget that shows both percentage and time remaining without a mouse over for the laptop,

2) try to figure out how to interface eSword with Dropbox.

Dropbox installed fine, but trying to interface eSword caused eSword to mess up bad and become completely unusable. Switching everything back to default made eSword functional again.

#20 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:28 PM

They show Codeweavers (CrossOver) and WPS Office (Kingsoft) as "partners". That may be legit and not the typical Chinese copying/bootlegging

http://www.linuxdeep...artners.en.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users