Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon noob

32 replies to this topic

#1 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:16 PM

Very recently put Linux Mint 16 on my netbook. eSword installed fine with wine (that just sounds funny  :lol: ), my premium and free modules have installed with minimal trouble (didn't like to copy/paste license password for NASB), and everything appears to work...

EXCEPT: I cannot scroll through the verses in each chapter. When I select a chapter, verse number 1 is highlighted. I CAN scroll up and down the page to read, but the TSK and other verse-linked modules are stuck on verse 1 and I can't get them to move.

Is there a tutorial somewhere, or is there an easy fix that I've missed?

BTW I'm using the most recent release of eSword if that helps any.

#2 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:16 AM

I can't answer your question, but will definitely be keeping an eye out for responses from those more knowledgeable than I. I'm still using Mint 13 LTS, but have never tried to use e-Sword with it. I just suck it up and re-boot to Windoze when I have to use e-Sword, Access or some other Winders "feature." I just really wish the pros here or at e-Sword would work on developing/porting the best Bible study tool available (e-Sword) to make it work on the Linux platform.

The only thing I have ever used Wine for is the included Notepad clone which [completely] strips out all text formatting. All of the Linux-based text editors I've tried seem to leave in some or all of the formatting junk/code/marks/whatever, when text is pasted in from LibreOffice or most any other word processor or website.

~ Edited 1/29/2015 to correct misspelled word.

Edited by EarlMelton, 29 January 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#3 jeffg

jeffg

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 07:02 AM

WINE- Wine Is Not an Emulator.  While you can use some Windows programs in Linux with Wine, some of the programs are limited.  I have run into some problems with E-Sword in Linux.  I just found I had to use the program a little differently and get used to the limitations.  Remember, you are using a program written for a different operating system than the one you are using.  If you have a windows license, you may try virtualization.  Virtual Box is available in Synaptic Package Manager and if you need help, there is a lot on the Linux Mint forums.  You may try the pay version of WINE called Crossover.  I don't remember what version they are on now, but Crossover has more windows libraries and may work better for you.  E-Sword used to advertise Crossover as a way to use E-Sword on MAC or Linux.

You may be able to select a different verse using your mouse.  It worked like that for me.  The scrolling was an issue, you will have to use the scroll bar and mouse.

Also, Linux Mint 16 is supported for only a short time.  Right now only the Linux Mint 17 Release Candidate is available for download.  The full version for Cinnamon should be available by the end of this month I read.  You should install that, it is a LTS version with support to 2019.

Edited by jeffg, 29 May 2014 - 07:36 AM.

#4 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:00 PM

I'm noticing other issues- the copy feature doesn't follow the verses either; I have to manually select. The strongs numbers don't work; I have to manually type them in.

It's funny that I ended at Mint 16... I started with Ubuntu, but my wifi card wouldn't work. Lucid Puppy and Knoppix look like good diagnostic versions, but didn't do anythinfg for me. openSUSE was a waking nightmare...

Then I saw an article on Linux Mint, in particular "Cinnamon". Not understanding the terminologies and nominclature of the world of Linux, I ended up downloading and installing 16 since "cinnamon" was associated with  it. And, it worked with Universal USB Installer from PenDriveLinux.

Somehow, we ended up with 17 on my son's project computer for his computer science class (16 had issue with his graphic card IIRC).

$37.46 for 6 months of CrossOver? I don't know... and is it single installation or can I use it on multiple computers? I looked at it before and it didn't trip my trigger. I guess if Rick Meyers made it and was selling it I'd do it...

I'll try virtual box...

#5 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:11 PM

The below is old information that might or might not still be good, but those are the four dll's that I used to get mine going right years ago when I ran Linux. If you run a Google search for "e-Sword Linux Wine", you should be able to get more current information about what goes where and what to do. First, you have to know where to put the dll's, and I don't remember. Second, you have to set dlloverrides in Wine, and I can't remember much at all about that. Also please keep in mind that none of this information might be current now. I hope it helps.

riched20.dll
msls31.dll
oleaut32.dll
mfc42.dll

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#6 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 10:55 PM

The google search looks to be a looooong road that leads to old information that does nothing... so far.

installed Oracle VM Virtual Box. I couldn't get it to take my Windows 7. It made an honest effort with Vista (bless its digital heart), but failed. Now, with XP, I seem to be getting somewhere. Of course, I grabbed the wrong disk for the first run, so now I have to try to wipe this virtual drive and make another go of it with the hacktivated Pro disk...

Updates as I have them.

#7 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:15 PM

XP failed in Virtual Box...

#8 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

Between post five in this thread and I think post five in another thread, I seriously think I am trying to beat a square peg in a round hole...  :wacko:

#9 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 31 May 2014 - 05:38 AM

2guntom,

You said, "Then I saw an article on Linux Mint, in particular "Cinnamon". Not understanding the terminologies and nominclature of the world of Linux, I ended up downloading and installing 16 since "cinnamon" was associated with  it. And, it worked with Universal USB Installer from PenDriveLinux."

I still consider myself a linux newbie, but have found an absolutely marvelous resource. If there isn't a LUG in your area, check out the Amarillo Linux Users Group (ALUG), located

at http://www.amarillol...om/mb/index.php

They're an extremely knowledgeable, friendly and helpful bunch of folk who will welcome you and make you feel like you're among family. Create a free account and sign in. Spend some time looking through the forums and take advantage of their IRC channel to get personal help.

As to the Mint thing, JeffG gave you some very good advice: Go with an LTS version, regardless of the particular distro (Ubuntu, Mint, Open SUSE, etc.) As to the particular desktop in Mint, my personal preference is Mate, but suit yourself. I thought I was using Cinnammon, but am told it is really Mate and I love it.

Edited by EarlMelton, 31 May 2014 - 05:40 AM.

#10 2guntom

2guntom

Uploader

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 June 2014 - 11:14 PM

There is no LUG in my area, just a few linux fanatics that have their favorite distro...

I got ahold of a different version of Virtual Box, not sure how. I installed Windows XP successfully. The bad news was the display driver incompatibility. The display was a square so it didn't utilize the whole viewing area. There were some other issues that came up too.

There are many, many answers out there on the internet that are somewhat related to my problem, but none of them seem to have any solutions that can be had before the year 2025...

If I don't have eSword on it, it is of no use to me, so, it was time to get the OEM OS back on the netbook.

In the search on how to fix GRUB I found this gem of a site https://sites.google...installation-CD

Ultimate Boot CD, how did I ever get by without you?!

I removed the harddrive from the HP Mini and put it in a dock. I took an Acer Aspire One and booted it from the UBCD while docked to the HP harddrive. I formatted the drive then cloned it from the Acer (that thinks it's an eMachine). I reinstalled the harddrive and started it. It didn't start, but Windows asked to fix it and did. When all the hardware drivers installed, I fixed the Windows license key back to what it was supposed to be.

The machine runs better than it ever did!

I installed Mint 17 along side Windows 7 Starter because it ran faster than Windows the first time. The HP mini is not well suited for any Linux because of its weird touchpad and goofy wireless card...

but at least it now has Windows for eSword...

I took the Acer and decided to continue experimenting with different Linux distros since it seemed better suited for it.

I installed Mint 17 and Ubuntu alongside Windows 7 starter. I left a space on the drive big enough for one more distro... I just couldn't figure out which one. Not all the Live CD versions work, and some of them that do aren't worth owning.

I came across Kali and really thought I found something. Right off the bat, it wanted to wipe the harddrive and install... and we can't have that. I played with it for a while on the Live CD USB version. It was all fun and games till I walked away from my GOOD laptop and it went to sleep and locked the desktop. It prompted for a password, but there is no set password on the Live CD. After cold-cocking the laptop I promptly formatted the USB before I tore something up. I don't mind gutting a netbook like a fish and frankensteining it back together, but my good laptop? That's like putting Fix-A-Flat on a ham sandwich- you just shouldn't do it!

So, I guess when I'm old enough to wear "big boy" pants, I might try Kali again.

I think I've wiped all the USB drives and I need to collect all the cd's and dvd's I've burnt with different distros and destroy them so I don't inadvertently hurt a good computer and have to spend a whole day fixing it.

Now, if I can just get Ubuntu off of the Acer without having to wipe the whole drive... With Mint, I have no use for Ubuntu- it's about like putting snow tires on a bass boat... funny, but useless.

The education was good, but I've been down this road before... Windows was okay at first, but you had to do a lot of the hard stuff in DOS. I never liked DOS. 

Playing with webpages was fun, but trying to figure out all the html codes... then css...

And I see Linux is trying to draw in all the Windows people with the same feel and look, but to get down and dirty and make it actually work you have to do command lines in a terminal window... And for guys like me that don't know the command lines, I might as well be sitting in the desert with a fishing pole in my hand.

My original question was "Is there a tutorial somewhere, or is there an easy fix that I've missed?"

The answers are "no" and "no".

Mr Meyers designed eSword for Windows; that's that. When he designs a version for Linux, I'll have it. 

Until then, I won't.

This concludes my experimentation of Linux and eSword. I just wanted to update the thread for posterity sake.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users