Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Completely lost with installing modules

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AllofUs

AllofUs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 05:41 AM

I've been using eSword since almost its beginning.  I'm just now diving into modules.  Yeah, I know :blink:

I already downloaded the 1611 KJV Margin Notes.  I tried to use the installer but I received a message that it did not detect eSword.  After a lot of toiling, I uninstalled the installer.  I tried to download it again but now the installer does not install at all.

I can see the 1611 KJV module in my Computer/Program Files (x86)/eSword.  So, I click on the file which is a cmtx.  It asks me what do I want to open with.  It recommends IE.  I click on OK and it asks if I want to Open or Save.  Whether I click on Open or Save, I am unable to find it in my eSword.

I've attached screenshots for your review and any help at all is appreciated.

I apologize if the screenshots are in the wrong order. 

I included screenshots of my system information and the Document area for eSword just in case it's needed. 

Attached Files

Edited by AllofUs, 20 March 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hello,

1) First, download the Module Installer: http://www.biblesupp...ler-04-updated/

2) Click Open or Run. Let it install.

3) In e-Sword, click Options from the main menu. Then choose Resources.

Attached File  e-sword-resource-path.png   77.85K   8 downloads

4) Click the file icon shown in red above.

5) Click OK, shown in red above. 

Do steps 4-5 above, even if your e-Sword resource path is already showing.

NOW try double clicking (or opening) the KJV Margin Notes in your screenshot. This should fix any issue with the installer and work perfectly. Let me know either way.

Josh

#3 AllofUs

AllofUs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:10 AM

Thanks Josh for responding and the very detailed steps.  I followed as directed but it still did not work.  I noticed that the installer was saved to Computer/Program Files/ instead of Computer/Program Files (x86).  Does that make a difference?

Should I uninstall the installer? 

Edited by AllofUs, 20 March 2014 - 09:10 AM.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

It doesn't matter where the module installer was saved to when you downloaded it.

When you install the module installer (by opening or running the installer), it creates it's own directory.

After the module installer is installed, then you can double click any of the modules, like the KJV margin notes, to install it. For people who have reset their e-Sword settings, there sometimes is a bug with the module installer. That's why steps 3-5 above are necessary to  set your module path so the installer sees it.

FYI: Other tips

1) The modules on this website with an EXE extension are self-installing. For example, the KJV margin notes you are trying to install has a self-installing option (KJV Margin Notes.exe). EXE files work independently of (do not need) the module installer.

2) You can manually copy any module to your c:\program files\e-sword or c:\program files(x86)\e-sword location.

#5 AllofUs

AllofUs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:27 PM

The KJV Margin notes module is already inside my Program Files/(x86)/esword.  So, when I click on the module, it says the Module Installer is already installed.

I understand all of your notes and follow your instructions but it still does not want to work properly for me.  I'll try again before throwing in the towel with downloading modules.    

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 March 2014 - 06:33 PM

The KJV Margin notes module is already inside my Program Files/(x86)/esword.  So, when I click on the module, it says the Module Installer is already installed.

I understand all of your notes and follow your instructions but it still does not want to work properly for me.  I'll try again before throwing in the towel with downloading modules.    

If the KJV Margin module is already in your e-sword folder, there is no need to install it. It is already installed. Look for it in the commentary window with the tab name, "KJV-Notes". Do you see it? If not, restart e-Sword and look again in the commentary window (top, right by default).

When you say "it still does not work properly for me", what error are you receiving? And what specific module are you trying to install? Knowing what specific module you are installing can help me tell you where to look for that module. For example, some modules are "Reference Library" and do not appear on the main e-Sword screen. They appear in the separate Reference Library section of the program.

#7 AllofUs

AllofUs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

If the KJV Margin module is already in your e-sword folder, there is no need to install it. It is already installed. Look for it in the commentary window with the tab name, "KJV-Notes". Do you see it? If not, restart e-Sword and look again in the commentary window (top, right by default).

:o <----Is that the embarrassed face? If not, it should be.  

Sigh of super slowness on my part.  {{{HUGS}}} Thank you Josh for sticking with me.  I really appreciate all of your help.  

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:16 PM

No worries, write back here if you have more questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users