Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Can't get Bible Search Tool to find first Bible

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 BarryF

BarryF

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:07 PM

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I downloaded the Bible Search Tool. It installed and opens OK.

But when I click on Bibles then Create Index, there is nothing displayed in the window.

I thought perhaps I had to set the correct directory path somewhere, but do not see where to do so.

All of the other menu items appear to be related to executing searches after the Bibles are indexed.

Except the DELETE BST FILES menu item.

All my eSword modules are installed in the default directory, and they all work great.

I am using Windows 7 and it is a 64-bit machine, if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

You also need to install the e-Sword macros.  Any version will work.  http://e-sword.net/extras.html  Install them, then try again.

#3 BarryF

BarryF

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:19 PM

I attempted to follow the instructions above, but the link to the e-sword extras is bad. It finds the website but gives an 'object not found' error. I searched for the extras on e-sword, found it and installed it successfully.

Now I was able to index several different Bible Versions, but when I attempt to select the Bibles for a search, they do not show up. I tried to do a Find anyway, but no success there either.

I also am not sure what the other two links above are for. The last one is the documentation for the Bible Search Tool and I already have that and am trying to follow the instructions in it.

I installed the HotKeys even though I will never use it. I use dozens of different programs during the week and trying to remember HotKeys for each one is impossible for me. So I use menus instead.

Installing the HotKeys did not make any difference either. I followed the link to the tooltip tool, but was not sure what I was supposed to do with that, so I did nothing.

End result is that I believe I have the Bibles indexed (although it only took about 5 seconds for each one.  But I cannot select them to do searches.

#4 BarryF

BarryF

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:46 AM

Any ideas why the Bibles do not show up in the left pane when attempting to select Bibles? Both the left and right panes are completely blank.

I have even attempted to create the Bible Index multiple times for the same version. Each time I do I can see it going through the list of the books of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. The total time listed is always somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds. So it seems to think that it has done this successfully.

I even went so far as to uninstall Bible Search Tools and reinstalled it. Then attempted to index some versions again. But I still have the same results.

#5 Paul Coetzee

Paul Coetzee

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:14 PM

Try the following

Click on file settings

Change Bibles= to Bibles=* even if it was Bibles=*

Create index again

That worked for me

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 12:34 PM

Any ideas why the Bibles do not show up in the left pane when attempting to select Bibles? Both the left and right panes are completely blank.

I have even attempted to create the Bible Index multiple times for the same version. Each time I do I can see it going through the list of the books of the Bible from Genesis through Revelation. The total time listed is always somewhere between 4 and 5 seconds. So it seems to think that it has done this successfully.

I even went so far as to uninstall Bible Search Tools and reinstalled it. Then attempted to index some versions again. But I still have the same results.

Do you have any files in your c:\users\[USER NAME]\documents\BibleSearchTooll\Bibles  ???

They should have the extension, BST.

#7 BarryF

BarryF

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:01 PM

Regarding changing Bibles= to Bibles=* in the settings. . . Either I don't know how to change it, or I can't change it. I can see it in Files -> Settings, but it will not let me enter anything into those settings.  I suspect there must be some other way even though the BST pdf says that I should be able to change it here. (It also says that it is not recommended.)

After seeing the next update to this thread, I noticed that there is an ini file in my documents\BibleSearchTool directory. I edited that so that it was 'Bibles=*', then re-indexed a couple of Bibles, but they still don't show up.

Regarding the files under my documents\BibleSearchTool\Bibles directory there is only one file and it has .bst as the name (nothing before the dot). This is the only file. Since there are no names of the versions that I attempted to index, I would guess that this is not what I would hope to see.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:02 PM

Can you confirm that you have installed the e-Sword Macros, any version?

http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html

#9 BarryF

BarryF

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:19 PM

Yes, I installed the macros. I indicated that in the first post after my initial report of the problem.

That did change the symptom. Initially when I attempted to index the Bibles, no box came up with the available Bibles.  But it does after installing the macros. And it appears to attempt to index them. At least it goes through all the motions, but they do not get listed in my documents\BibleSearchTool\Bibles directory.

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

What are the names of the bibles you are trying to index?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users