Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Vine's Expository Dictionary

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 lw1527

lw1527

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I uploaded an .HTM file of the Vine's Expository Dictionary of the Old and New Testament Words. It was posted online and stated there was no copyright as it had expired. The version was a PDF which I converted to .HTM. You can add this into the Topics within e-sword.

Enjoy.

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

The PDF copy might not be under copy right, by there already is an e-sword module of the Combined Vine's (both OT and NT).  It is a premium module...probably under copy right.

This is the premium edition of this famous Bible study classic. It includes not only Vine's famous New Testament dictionary, but an extensive Old Testament counterpart as well, edited by Merrill F. Unger, the famous Old Testament scholar. All entries in both O.T. and N.T. dictionaries are organized alphabetically in English, along with the Hebrew or Greek words from which they are translated. Vine's famous insights into the various shades of meaning, plus related Scripture references are included. Keyed throughout to Strong's numbering system. Warren Wiersbe says: " ... one of my favorite tools ... a great time-saver for the busy student."

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Teetop

Teetop

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMedford, OR., 97501

Posted 22 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I was under the impression that Vines was always copywrited?

I Know I paid a small fee for it and didn't buy more than one copy.

Some premium moduals I've got more than one copy.

They are all a Blessing.

#4 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 23 March 2014 - 11:53 AM

It may have been renewed under GATT.  However, if it wz published in US 1st or simultaneously in both Europe and US (assuming that year is the same in both Europe and US for publication) and not renewed then PD.  GATT cannot restore it.  It only restores works published in Europe 1st.  

There wz a supreme court decision on works that were published earlier in Europe that fell out of copyright in US.

#5 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 12:46 PM

The original Vine's NT is public domain.  Period.

The version that can be purchased has an OT section which is not PD.  And I believe some of the NT has been edited/annotated, enough that the publishers are claiming it's a new version.  so, obviously, that wouldn't be PD either.

#6 fotiost

fotiost

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 February 2023 - 07:17 PM

I bought the Vines Complete Expository dictionary for E-sword and installed it. But It seems that it cannot use the link feature in E-sword. Am I missing something or it simply cannot be done? 

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 February 2023 - 07:13 AM

I bought the Vines Complete Expository dictionary for E-sword and installed it. But It seems that it cannot use the link feature in E-sword. Am I missing something or it simply cannot be done? 

Not too sure by what you mean by the "link feature." Can you go into a bit more detail as to what the actual issue is that you are experiencing?

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21)

Edited by APsit190, 17 February 2023 - 04:46 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 fotiost

fotiost

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 05:36 PM

When using the KJV+ in the Bibles window, and clicking on a strong's number, there are some dictionaries - in the Dictionary Window-  that are linked to the Bibles window using the "Synchronize Lookup" (the icon is a little chain). For Example, if I click over "Father G3962", and I automatically see G3962, in Strong's, for example. With Vines, I have to manually search for G3962 in order to find a definition. Considering that Vines is a paid module, I expected it to intergrate just as well as the free modules.   

#9 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 07:39 PM

When using the KJV+ in the Bibles window, and clicking on a strong's number, there are some dictionaries - in the Dictionary Window-  that are linked to the Bibles window using the "Synchronize Lookup" (the icon is a little chain). For Example, if I click over "Father G3962", and I automatically see G3962, in Strong's, for example. With Vines, I have to manually search for G3962 in order to find a definition. Considering that Vines is a paid module, I expected it to intergrate just as well as the free modules.   

It seems that the strongs numbers in Vines are not formatted correctly for e-Sword, the good news is that this can be fixed using e-Sword Tooltip NT

Edited by Tj Higgins, 21 February 2023 - 08:16 PM.

#10 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 08:28 PM

It seems that the strongs numbers in Vines are not formatted correctly for e-Sword, the good news is that this can be fixed using e-Sword Tooltip NT

Or, incorrect settings in e-Sword: Options -> Strong's # ToolTip ; check to see if Vines is listed and available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users