Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword SQLite Resources

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 TommyJSmithJr

TommyJSmithJr

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, United States

Posted 26 January 2014 - 02:31 PM

Hello All,

I have used and recommended e-Sword for years.  I am a programmer, among other things, and have decided to wade into developing some modules and tools. I program in a variety of languages (VB, C++, C#, Objective C, Pascal, FORTRAN, Java, JS, VBS, etc.) and have started a project in Visual Studio, but not locked into MS.  

From what I have read about Rick Meyers and e-Sword, he used Microsoft tools to create e-Sword.  I have found different .dll files from different sources that provide code to work with SQLite 3 files.

I want to use the same resource used by e-Sword to prevent including third-party files in the Assembly Cache, or installing them separately.  I am hoping the installed resources of either software for accessing SQLite files are accessible by other applications.  This would prevent possible .dll problems and ensure compatibility.

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHICH RESOURCES EITHER RICK MEYERS OR BRENT HILDEBRAND USED WHEN THEY WROTE THEIR SOFTWARE? 

All assistance is most appreciated.

Edited by TommyJSmithJr, 26 January 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 26 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

You need to find a SQLITE library supported by your language of choice. Standard SQLItE functionality is built into some languages, or flavors of languages. Just google your  language and sqlite to see the options.

When I wrote a few utilities, I used QT C++ which has sqlite commands built in and easy to use. I think I just included the library that had that functionality and everything compiled fine.

Something like this:

#include <QSqlDatabase>
#include <QSqlQuery>
#include <QSQLRecord>

Last I looked, e-Sword was written with an old version of Visual Basic. He probably used a VB library or maybe it came standard.

Brent uses APL to write ToolTip and I'm pretty sure he just tapped an existing library for his language to read sqlite databases.

#3 TommyJSmithJr

TommyJSmithJr

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

Josh,

Thanks for the information about Brent and APL as it saves me time.  I tried unsuccessfully to find Brent on some blogs.  At this point I am going to proceed with some open source SQLite dll libraries.

I am still open to suggestions and trying to catalog SQLite development resources for all here that want to help each other develop tools for e-Sword modules.

Are there any cooperative development effort in any common code repositories like github for tools and module development?

Edited by TommyJSmithJr, 27 January 2014 - 08:48 AM.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

No common code repositories. 

I released the source code for one of the tools I wrote. It interacts with SQLite databases: http://www.biblesupp...theword-to-rtf/

Notice the source code download option on the downloads page.

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

The SQLite code I use is from sqlite.com. 

#6 TommyJSmithJr

TommyJSmithJr

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:06 PM

Thanks,

I appreciate both of you (Brent and Josh) and your time.  Particular thanks for the links in your post Brent. I tried to read as much of the posts on the subjects, but the information I found when looking for Brent on the internet confused things --> https://sites.google...rd/file-cabinet

I mistakenly downloaded that version of ToolTip and soon found problems.  I assume Brent did some Office development in ToolTip because when I launched ToolTip I got some Microsoft Woord 2007 Normal.dotm macro errors.  After looking into the Registry changes I soon found the problem with the Macro Extras I once installed from http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html.

I do appreciate the AKJV examples provided by Brent, as it was easy to access and read with the open source tool I am using, and not be confused by the encoded blobs in the bblx files that came with e-Sword.  I might use the SQLite C interface if I can find a wrapper, or does not take me too long to create one.

I am able to modify a module while it is open in e-Sword and see the update in both running applications.

Can either of you suggest a SQLite GUI?  And have either of you created any of your own SQL functions for SQLite?

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

Can either of you suggest a SQLite GUI?  And have either of you created any of your own SQL functions for SQLite?

No, I simply called a library that already had existing functions.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 January 2014 - 03:28 PM

Thanks,

I appreciate both of you (Brent and Josh) and your time.  Particular thanks for the links in your post Brent. I tried to read as much of the posts on the subjects, but the information I found when looking for Brent on the internet confused things --> https://sites.google...rd/file-cabinet

I mistakenly downloaded that version of ToolTip and soon found problems.  I assume Brent did some Office development in ToolTip because when I launched ToolTip I got some Microsoft Woord 2007 Normal.dotm macro errors.  After looking into the Registry changes I soon found the problem with the Macro Extras I once installed from http://www.e-sword.net/extras.html.

I do appreciate the AKJV examples provided by Brent, as it was easy to access and read with the open source tool I am using, and not be confused by the encoded blobs in the bblx files that came with e-Sword.  I might use the SQLite C interface if I can find a wrapper, or does not take me too long to create one.

I am able to modify a module while it is open in e-Sword and see the update in both running applications.

Note the files at Tools4Esword are old.  The latest AKJV you will find here on BibleSupport.com.  As for macros and Tooltip, be sure you have both e-Sword and the appropriate e-Sword macro files for that version installed.  As for a SQLite GUI - google SQLite Browser.  Also Mozilla has a Firefox plug in for SQLite databases. 

#9 TommyJSmithJr

TommyJSmithJr

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for all the help.

I have what I need to start building, and everything is working.  Now let us see if I can create something useful.

Let me know if I can help you or others.

#10 TommyJSmithJr

TommyJSmithJr

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

Has anyone used, or know anyone who has used:

https://code.google..../csharp-sqlite/

with e-Sword Modules?

This may be as good resource, but I wanted to verify the library specifically with e-Sword.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users