Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Fonts and Size for e-Sword

10 replies to this topic

#1 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 18 January 2014 - 06:36 PM

Hi all,

I was wondering what type of fonts do you use for e-Sword? And the size of the font is it?
Example: the default font is Georgia and the size is 11.

is that what you prefer or do you change it?

Thank you for responding back.
Patchworkid

Edited by patchworkid, 19 January 2014 - 04:55 AM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Hi all,

I wad wondering what type of fonts do you use for e-Sword? And the size of the font is it?
Example: the default font is Georgia and the size is 11.

is that ehst you prefer or do you change it?

Thank you for responding back.
Patchworkid

When I cut and paste while working on my Sunday School lessons I prefer Ariel Black size 10.  I have used that font and size for some time because it is easiest on poor ancient eyes. But I tend to leave the fonts and sizes in the modules as their defaults.  Otherwise, it tends to mess up the formatting.

Edited by Tim Butterfield, 18 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 07:45 PM

Up until about 16 months ago, I built all of my modules with Times New Roman 12 pt. Because some had screen issues with that font (hard to believe, but I saw it with my own eyes); I opted to switch to eSword default: Georgia 11 pt. I think it is quite ugly, to be honest. But all DDT modules are now formatted to Georgia 11.

TheWord Bible Software has a feature where the end user can globally change the font of any module to a uniform font choice. In that software, I can globally change all ebooks (eSword's .topx & .refx modules are the TW equivalent of .gbk modules) to Segoe UI - which is a very attractive contemporary font. In fact, I have eSword Bibles set to use that font (when I use eSword).

I recommend all eSword modules use Georgia 11, because that is what eSword expects as the default. It will make for a more seamless & uniform experience for the end user.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 18 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hi

thank you all for your response. It has help me decide what I should do.
if others have an opinion, please state it.

Thank you again
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 Katoog

Katoog

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 01:51 AM

The RTF is set on Times New Roman 12 pt  but  with "Front Side Set by e-Sword"

I use the default in e-Sword; so can I test the effects on the layout of the most used configurations.

My tab position of "19 mm left" is a problem by other fonts configurations than Times New Roman 12pt and Georgia 11 pt

I don't recommend variable font sides.

Restored Holy Bible 17 and the Restored Textus Receptus

https://rhb.altervis...rg/homepage.htm

#6 vortriede

vortriede

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 06:35 PM

This topic interests me in that I am trying to create an English/Aramaic interlinear NT using alternating fonts - default for the English text and Estrangelo for the Aramaic. Everything looks great in Tooltip NT but when I create the bblx and load it into e-Sword, none of the Aramaic displays in the Estrangelo font.  Any suggestions?

#7 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:07 PM

Hi

Click on Modules then scroll down to Font Size Set hy e-Sword ...

when you save or create the bible module, untick or uncheck : Font Size Set by e-Sword
this should give you what you want

thanks

Edited by patchworkid, 19 January 2014 - 08:09 PM.

#8 vortriede

vortriede

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 09:23 PM

Hi Patchworkid,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I had already tried that and as well as including RTF headers (which seems like the right thing to do in this situation). No combination of these options changes anything.

Looking at the e-Sword Options->Fonts... dialog, none of the drop downs for font selection show the font that I am using even though it is installed on my computer.  This suggests to me that either e-Sword hard codes the contents of these drop downs or they are contained in a configuration file (which I have not been able to locate) or in registry entries (which I have not looked for).  I don't know if this has a bearing on the issue, but it is a curious thing, nevertheless.

I'm going to experiment with changing the fonts on some other things to fonts that are available in the e-Sword drop down lists.  If I can get those to display correctly, I may be on to something.

Thanks again and God bless,

Eric

#9 vortriede

vortriede

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:07 AM

Well... there seems to be an issue with the RTF fonttbl entries that are getting created.  The font that I am using is called "Estrangelo (V1.1)".  When I do View->View RTF, it looks ok but when I look at what is in the SQLite file, it is "Estrangelo".  Somehow, the (V1.1) is being stripped.  But, even if I correct it manually, for some reason e-Sword will not display anything that I generate with Modules->Include RTF Headers checked.  That is, when I click on the tab for my Bible, I see nothing at all if it was generated with Include RTF Headers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

#10 molevan

molevan

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

I like "Meiyro".  Very clear to look at.  Size tends to depend on screen size,  11 - 14 [Font]

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users