Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Bookmark Help - No option to create a Bookmark in ToolTipNT

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:05 AM

Attached File  Testing Bookmarks.jpg   213K   18 downloadsAttached File  No option to create Bookmark.jpg   160.79K   21 downloadsGreat day all,

Please help with creating a bookmark and hyperlinking it in Tooltip NT 1.13

I've read the User Guide (ToolTip NT-2.10) and while there is a section titled "Inserting a Hyperlink and Creating a Bookmark," the screenshot and instructions don't seem to line up with what I'm seeing.  The User Guide includes a screenshot with three options under the "Link" dialogue: "Internal," "External," and "Bookmark."  In regards to instructions for creating bookmarks, here is all I see in the documentation:

"Highlight the word(s) you want to make into a hyperlink or bookmark. Click Insert on the main menu and choose Link.
Internal: Contains the bookmarks used in the document. Bookmarks are internal document destinations. Select an internal bookmark to link to. If the document does not contain any bookmarks, this list will be empty.

Bookmark: Creates a bookmark from the text you highlighted above. Bookmarks are internal document destinations..

Now the problem is that in my Tooltip program (NT 1.13) there is no option under "Insert -> Link" for "Bookmark"--only "External" and "Internal." (See attached image).  Frankly, when I even test "External" and put a simple link to www.biblesupport.com, it renders in blue in E-Sword, but does not work.  I click on the link, and even press Ctrl + on it and the link does nothing.

Secondly, I've tried copying some of Lange's commentary (with bookmarks / footnotes) and putting it straight into my own commentary module for testing purposes.  Oddly enough, when I render it, E-Sword completely removes all Lange's bookmarks and references--they literally disappear from my module.  However, when I copy them into Tooltip (in my own module), the "Insert -> Link" dialogue acknowledes under "Internal" that there are footnotes and references (e.g. _ftnref1", "_ftnref2" etc. and "_ftn1", "_ftn2").  But again, assuming that they should still be there when I render the Commentary / Dictionary file for E-Sword, they completely disappear in E-Sword.

My question is:  How exactly do I create a bookmark in Tooltip NT 1.13?  Is there a shortcut combination?  Do I have to format the text with certain colors, underline, etc.?  I'm sure the process must be quite simple, as I have used bookmarks and hyperlinks for years n MS Word.  Please see the attached screenshots of what I'm seeing (and not seeing) in Tooltip NT1.13 regarding how to create a bookmark.

All of this, by the way, has been done in a single Dictionary / Commentary chapter or verse, so I do recognize the technical limitations of bookmarking.  (I'm not trying to do this across different chapters or even verses, but within a single Dictionary file (under one heading) or a single Commentary file under one verse remark.

Finally, I tried the simplest thing and highlighted some text in Tooltip.  I then attempted to make an "External" link and input www.biblesupport.com for the link, thinking that this should be the most basic attempt to link out to the Bible Support website, and surely this would work in E-Sword.  No--the blue link appears like <www.biblesupport.com> but when I click on it (with any combination) nothing happens at all.

If anyone has some suggestions I will greatly appreciate it.  Thank you so much,
Thomas

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:42 AM

The first thing I recommend you do is to get a current version of Tooltip NT - it's version 2.13. I have no idea if the older version is responsible for the problems you're having.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:50 PM

Journey is right. The documentation written for 2.x will not match the 1.x version of the program :) The screenshots you provided above are 1.x.

#4 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thank you Journey and Josh.  I've updated to Tooltip 2.13, and now the documentation matches perfectly.  Very nice.

Bookmarking should be plain and simple, as I've done it for years in MS Word.  Tooltip seems to be creating and storing the bookmarks in the "Link" dialogue, but when I render into E-Sword 10.1, they simply do not work--no functionality at all.  The difference now is that the blue bookmark text and links (from Lange's) isn't utterly removed and vanished, as it was in my last post.

Now, the blue bookmark text does appear in E-Sword 10.1 (e.g. a Genesis 1:1 commentary verse), but clicking on the bookmark or link do nothing.  Can someone advise on why this is?  (Here are a couple screenshots).  Has anyone ever successfully done this? (Other than the Lange commentary,) which beautiful as it is, I suspect had some "superior privileges" granted to it by Rick--just like the Strong's Concordance with pop-ups.

(Why are these privileges non-accessible to others?)

Anyway, if anybody can help--attach screenshots or a test module of successful bookmarks, that would be terrific.  Would someone allow me to send them a test module and play with it for me?

Thank you,

Thomas

Attached Files

#5 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:47 PM

Pardon my longwindedness.  Perhaps if I state my question in simpler terms.  This is an addition to my previous post, so please see the one (directly above) first.

Let me simply the issue with bookmarking by focusing on the attempt to insert a single "External link" www.biblesupport.com (see attached).  Can anyone explain why it won't work?  It cannot be E-Sword 10.1.0 as the issue, since Lange's commentary's bookmarks work perfectly.

Is there some other step that I have to do in Tooltip before simply rendering the module and inserting it into E-Sword?  Thank you again,

Thomas

Attached Files

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:08 PM

Let's try to be sure we are talking all the same terms.

1) in e-Sword, a "bookmark" is a target for a internal hyperlink. 

2) you set book marks before creating a hyperlink to it

3) book marks are not visible once create!

4) you can navigate book marks in T4 by using the hyperlink toolbar

5) Internal links are hyperlinks to bookmarks in T4 speak.

6) to follow an bookmark hyperlink (called an internal link in T4) in e-Sword, you much press the Control key then click it

To use this stuff when creating a module in T4

1) set all the bookmarks you want FIRST

2) Insert a Link, as a hyperlink (internal) to the bookmarks. - These are visible

NOTE - to navigate all hyperlinks and bookmarks in T4, use the hyperlink toolbar.  Clicking them only creates or edits them in T4.  T4 is a module creation tool.

NOTE 2 - this is not MS Word

That probably is still clear a mud...

#7 Toma

Toma

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Brent, thanks so much for the reply, and to all those who are willing to help.  I thank God for your lives.  Please see my responses below:

1) in e-Sword, a "bookmark" is a target for a internal hyperlink. 

Yes sir, understood.

2) you set book marks before creating a hyperlink to it

Yes sir, understood.

3) book marks are not visible once create!

Yes sir, understood.

4) you can navigate book marks in T4 by using the hyperlink toolbar

Yes, this works beautifully for me.

5) Internal links are hyperlinks to bookmarks in T4 speak.

Yes sir, understood.

6) to follow an bookmark hyperlink (called an internal link in T4) in e-Sword, you much press the Control key then click it

Yes sir, understood.  I've left-clicked, right-clicked, Ctrl+click, etc. No action whatsoever.  And I already mentioned that I use Lange's commentary just fine and the bookmarks there work perfectly for me, so I know how they should work.

To use this stuff when creating a module in T4

1) set all the bookmarks you want FIRST

Yes sir, understood.

2) Insert a Link, as a hyperlink (internal) to the bookmarks. - These are visible

Yes sir, understood.

NOTE - to navigate all hyperlinks and bookmarks in T4, use the hyperlink toolbar.  Clicking them only creates or edits them in T4.  T4 is a module creation tool.

Yes sir, understood.

NOTE 2 - this is not MS Word

I'm catching on to this quickly :)

Here (attached) are 4 simple photos to show the exact process I've followed.  Please view them in order: 1, 2, 3, 4 as they are named.  I'd love to attach the actual test commentary module here, but the website apparently doesn't accept those files.  If someone would be willing to take a look (it is only one verse) then I'd love to email it.  Thanks so much.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   254.46K   9 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   172.28K   12 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   199.93K   15 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   157.52K   13 downloads

#8 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:01 AM

Thank you Journey and Josh.  I've updated to Tooltip 2.13, and now the documentation matches perfectly.  Very nice.

Bookmarking should be plain and simple, as I've done it for years in MS Word.  Tooltip seems to be creating and storing the bookmarks in the "Link" dialogue, but when I render into E-Sword 10.1, they simply do not work--no functionality at all.  The difference now is that the blue bookmark text and links (from Lange's) isn't utterly removed and vanished, as it was in my last post.

Oophs! You also need to install the current version of e-Sword. That would be version 10.2.1, and there were significant changes.

Edited by journey, 10 January 2014 - 01:03 AM.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#9 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:38 AM

In T4 main menu, make sure the option "Old rtf code" in not checked.

Jon

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:07 AM

And the version variable is set to 3.

#define version=3

AND by all means, install e-Sword v10.2.1