Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

e-Sword vs. MySword

12 replies to this topic

#1 19Mark45

19Mark45

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

I am in the prcoess of having to switch from an HP handheld to some other device.  At present it seems that there are three choices: 1) Windows based devices, 2) Android based devices and 3) Apple based devices. 

From what I am able to find there is only one device that e-sword will run on and that's Apple devices like the iPad or iPad mini.  They appear to be very nice, but are also very expensive.

Recently I've run across MySword, which I understand will run on Android based devices.  However, I know nothing about MySword and am wondering if any of you are familiar with it.  I'd like to know how it compares to e-Sword in terms of the Bible versions, commentaries, dictionaries, and other materials that are available with e-Sword.

If you've got any recommendations on a platform; Windows, Android, or Apple I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Thanks and blessings for your input,

Mark

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 January 2014 - 01:30 AM

Most e-Sword modules are available as MySword modules. You can easily convert e-Sword modules to MySword, unless the e-Sword module is a commercial/premium/paid module. Those are encrypted and cannot be converted.

Most of the decision comes down to the platform--Apple iOS or Droid. Functionality seems about the same.  I'm a fan of Samsung Droid phones because the screen size of the Galaxy Note's are so large. So, I use Mysword on that device. I have e-Sword HD on the iPad. 

#3 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:22 AM

I just got an Android device a few days ago (a gift).  I am using MySword on it and quite enjoy it.  The biggest drawback to it is that versions like NKJV, ESV, and such are not available for it.  The font size is easily changed, so reading it isn't an issue (mine is a Droid Razr, so the screen is smaller than a tablet, obviously).  If you're fine with the KJV, NET, ISV, and the versions that are available here for it, you're in good shape.

#4 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 10:35 AM

Since you mentioned Ipad, just a little heads up if you are considering a tablet -- e-sword is worthless on a windows tablet unless you want to use a mouse.  At least on the ten inch Iconia, maybe larger screens will work.  I tried Mysword on bluestacks on a windows 8 tablet and it functioned fairly well after I got it running but bluestacks gave me so much trouble I shelved that idea.

#5 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:46 AM

Hi

Driod vs apple I chose droid - MySword because at the time I could make my own modules - my Study bible set.

Apple iPhone did not support custom made modules st the time.

And another reason why I chose droid is that I can have extra memory - micro sd card. Apple does not have that feature.

I am making my study bible more like amp - extra footnotes, expounding the scriptures; NKJV - removing old English and replacing it with modern English. Please check it out.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#6 lookingup

lookingup

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Most e-Sword modules are available as MySword modules. You can easily convert e-Sword modules to MySword, unless the e-Sword module is a commercial/premium/paid module. Those are encrypted and cannot be converted.

Most of the decision comes down to the platform--Apple iOS or Droid. Functionality seems about the same.  I'm a fan of Samsung Droid phones because the screen size of the Galaxy Note's are so large. So, I use Mysword on that device. I have e-Sword HD on the iPad. 

How can I convert esword modules to my sword?

#7 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

Hi

check out the link. It will tell you how to. .

http://mysword.info/...migration-tools
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#8 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:57 PM

I use eSword on my ultrabook (Toshiba Satellite U925t) as well as theWord.  The icons are small but I have no particular issues when in tablet mode.  Tablets (without a physical keyboard) are a bit more cumbersome but I did okay when I used eSword (and tW) on a MSI WindPad 110 (passed that one on to my oldest child).  The MS Surface comes with a Wacom-like pen.  I've not used eSword on the Surface (both II and III) at work but it should be much easier then other tablets.  I also use a Lenovo Yoga ultrabook (work) that has a Wacom pen and software as "standard" for when using it in tablet mode.  I use mysword on my Asus Nexus 7...very nice.  I don't use apple products (cost too much for me).

Both softwares are functional on there respective OS.

Edited by mikecindi, 31 October 2014 - 06:57 PM.

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 01 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

With regards to the reasons I use e-Sword and MySword is due purely to the availability of them. All my Mobile Devices are Samsung Galaxy:

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III
  • Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Note Professional 12.2

And on these devices I use MySword for the reason that e-Sword is not available for them. If e-Sword could be ported to them or is created for them, I would ditch MySword and install e-Sword.

On my PC I use e-Sword exclusively. I don't use any other Bible Study software mainly because e-Sword satisfies my requirements, and moreover, there is a far greater user support for e-Sword then any other Bible Study program, of which includes Bible study resources of all types.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 01 November 2014 - 03:05 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Brian McGarvey

Brian McGarvey

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 02:46 PM

e-Sword has been available for Android devices for some time now. How does e-Sword for Android compare with MySword? Can MySword modules be used on e-Sword for Android?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users