Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* - - - - 1 votes

Is there a keyboard shortcut for "Save" on Topic Notes?

7 replies to this topic

#1 miahluvdd

miahluvdd

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I'm really digging E Sword 10.x and trying to let the Topic Notes replace my word processor for typing out sermons, but it bugs me that Control + S brings up the search rather than saves the work.  Is there any other command other than moving the mouse to hit the save icon?

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:18 PM

Topic notes are saved automatically.  This is the official expanation for Using the Topic Notes editor for creating sermons, studies and other writings.

http://www.e-sword.n...iewlet_swf.html

I believe it will answer your questions.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 miahluvdd

miahluvdd

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

Ahh, so it does!  I just tried a couple of different scenarios, including just shutting the program down and it does save automatically. Thanks!!!

#4 sanuly

sanuly

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Sadly brothers, there is more to this than meets the eye. Topics do not get saved 'automatically' in the 'instaneous' sense. I believe some Action has to first take place to Trigger the Save. Like 'changing to a different topic note' or like @miahluvdd said, 'shutting down the program' which probably evokes a save before fully exiting the memory.

The evil one being ever so indulgent, my laptop crashed because of viruses, so I switched to my old PC. I typed out quite a bit of text for a talk about the tabernacle in the topic notes. Regretfully my PC was running off my UPS without me realizing it, and it abruptly shut off. Finally when I restarted the PC, my entire topic note text was gone, as was a couple of hours of work.

So a word of caution everyone, I know this is a very rare occurence (but sometimes you have to invoke Murphy's law when you do Spiritual work). Please do not work with the assumption that your Topic notes are being saved seamlessley in the background unless you do one of the explicit actions i mentioned earlier.

I can perfectly understand why @miahluvdd wanted this feature. I have now reverted to the age old MS Word practise of paranoid [triple] clicking the Save icon every few minutes. What else can I do without a keyboard shortcut. The fact that esword doesn;t have a synchronizing service with a webserver doesn't help matters either. Still grateful for what we have thus far. (1sam 7.12)

#5 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 04 July 2022 - 03:57 PM

For e-Sword for windows training information > access e-Sword for Windows website https://www.e-sword.net/ > then select the TRAINING tab in the menu row > then select the option: "Using the Study Notes editor for creating your own commentary"
Also, select and view the option: "Using the Topic Notes editor for creating sermons, studies and other writings".

Please be patient as these files may take a little time to load up. If you have a "popup killer" installed on your Internet browser, then you will need to turn it off for these to operate.

On each of the editor options, for Journal Notes, for Study Notes, and for Topics Notes, there is an option to quickly SAVE the file by using your pointer on the SAVE File icon, which is positioned to the left, just above the page where you are editing.

With e-Sword for Windows running, click with your pointer somewhere in the e-Sword app which is open on your PC, then use the quick link from the keyboard function key "F1" to call up the e-Sword User's Guide, which was loaded as e-sword_guide.pdf in your e-Sword directory folder when you downloaded the recent version of e-Sword to your PC.

The Find option is then obtained using Ctrl+F keys together, then enter the phrase to be found, then press the Enter key.
Enter the search option Study Notes, which is mentioned on page 49 with further details in Chapter 10: The Study Notes, which begins on page 133.
Similarly, browse to the beginning of the document, then Find the Phrase Topic Notes, which is found in Chapter 11: Topic Notes, which begins on page 147. You will find Journal Notes in Chapter 9: Journal Notes, beginning on page 121. 

Edited by Olaf Bacon, 22 July 2022 - 07:51 AM.

#6 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 July 2022 - 08:46 AM

I have sent a suggestion to the developer of e-Sword, Rick Meyers, to provide a quick link to Ctrl+S on the icon to the Save option, for the Journal Notes Editor, and for the Study Notes Editor, and for the Topic Notes Editor. I will let you know if this is implemented for e-Sword for windows version 13.0.1. I do not know how Ctrl+S is used on the Mac, iPhone, iPad, or Android varieties of e-Sword.

#7 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 13 August 2022 - 09:54 AM

The training module for topic editor for e-Sword for Windows is at https://www.e-sword....wlet/topic.html

#8 PeanutGallery

PeanutGallery

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 10:09 AM

nt

Edited by PeanutGallery, 13 August 2022 - 10:11 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users