Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

book comments, Chapter Comments, verse comments

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 18 October 2013 - 04:50 AM

I am trying to make a commentary, but I'm having troubles.  Probably because I dont understand all the commands and options when saving the commentary file maybe.

Im getting chapter comments in e-sword when I haven't added any chapter comments. In the chapter comments it lists all the verse comments, is that normal? I do get each verse comment under the verse comment button though.

Also another issue, here is a screenshot of what its doing in the file. I highlighted the extra verse that it adding to the comments. its a commentary on romans, but added the reference on Psa 51:4 LOL! Help

÷Rom 3:4

Quoted from Psa_51:4.

÷Psa 51:4

Quoted from Psa_51:4.

÷Rom 3:5

Attached Files

Edited by chetk43, 18 October 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 18 October 2013 - 07:26 AM

The documentation for T4 is updated: http://www.biblesupp...vision-1052013/

The documentation goes into more detail but here are two important things:

1) e-Sword now shows verse comments in the vhapter view if no chapter comments are available. And verse comments are still shown in the verse view.

2) The division signs create commentary for that verse. So if you type:

÷Psalm 51:4

Text here

then that comment, "text here", appears for Psalm 51:4.

if you want a comment to appear for Romans 1:1, then put all comments for Romans 1:1 beneath ÷Romans 1:1.

#3 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:11 PM

I found out what was doing that, I had to turn off  Multiple Verse References.

#4 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 19 October 2013 - 06:39 AM

Is there any videos explaining how to make commentary from a block of text, or an RTF file. It seems like a very tedious job, inserting marks be each verse reference, or is there an automated way of doing it? 

I started out with a PDF document then saved it as a text file, then opened that and saved it as an RTF file, so everything was not formatted right it seamed to me. so then I had to scroll through and separate all the books, and insert triple marks by them. that at least turned it into a commentary by book only. the next thing to do it seams is to separate all the verse references, and insert a single mark.

Is this the way its done?

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:22 AM

If commentaries were easy to make, then everyone would be making them! :)

e-Sword (and similar software) reads a module, which is a sqlite database. Each comment is a separate record. How will T4 know how to separate your content if you don't designate it with a mark? You would face the same issue if you were creating a commentary for a website and wanted it divided by verse. The issue is: you must have some way of distinguishing one comment from another.

It is possible to automate this process, if the text is consistently formatted. Assuming the file contains only one book (like Matthew), and that each Chapter beginning is clearly marked (like CHAPTER 1), and that the beginning of each verse comment is something like (Verse 1 or Ver. 1, beginning on a new line), then it would be possible to create an MS-Word macro that knows the book name is Matthew, remembers the current chapter, and then uses the very consistently formatted lines beginning with Verse 1 or Ver. 1 to complete and insert the Tooltip Mark (i.e. ÷Matthew 1:1).

But the text has to be consistently formatted for this to happen. Computers respond to logic. The question is: is there a logical and consistent pattern to the way the text is layed out so that a search and replace function could use? 

#6 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 19 October 2013 - 08:55 AM

I guess that answers my question. What would be the best way to convert a PDF doc to a RTF file? I think that would of made things easier.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:18 AM

Does the PDF contained digitized text (i.e. it was generated from a word processor and the text is digital). Or, does the PDF consist of scanned pages from a book (physically scanned pages mechanically reproduced with a scanner)?

For a PDF with digitized text, you just need a way of extracting the text. A site like this or this might be good for extracting already digitized text from a PDF. You can also used Adobe Acrobat (not the free Acrobat Reader, but the full version).

For a PDF with physically scanned pages, then Abby FineReader is good for digitizing the text. But you will have to proofread it and make corrections since the process isn't perfect.

#8 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

I know it wasn't scanned. It was  generated from a word processor.

#9 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

here is a link to the document. if that ok. http://www.stfonline.org/rev/

#10 chet

chet

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationNiagara, WI

Posted 19 October 2013 - 10:32 PM

Thank you, and God Bless you for all the help you have given me so far.

Edited by chet, 19 October 2013 - 11:03 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users