Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Issues with conversion to ios format for iPad app

20 replies to this topic

#11 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

BH,

I installed your software but cannot find the tool to use to vacuum and compact it.

I'm adding this to the next version.  It has not yet been released. 

#12 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 10:02 AM

I installed ifunbox and the interface seems straightforward but it looks like it would behave just like file sharing via iTunes.  So I am at a loss at to what it can do better or easier than iTunes.  ???

iTunes file sharing from what I can see was added to e-Sword HD in version 2.0 which was recently released.

#13 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

I have been experimenting with converting more e-sword user made dictionaries which are keyed to Strong's such as Abbot-Smith Manual Greek Lexicon of the NT--which I failed to do (an earlier post).  I have tried converting BDB/Thayer/Strong Definitions + KJ Concordance module and to no avail.  The converted file will transfer to the iPad and show up but it will not work.

Has anyone been able to successfully convert this type of module and use it in the e-sword app?  At this point, I am more curious rather than frustrated that I can't do something.

EDIT:  one more comment.  I also tried re-naming the file extension back to dcti rather than lexi to see if that would help.  No...

Edited by Jogirl, 01 October 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#14 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:05 PM

Hi Jogirl,

The Abbot-Smith dict is locked . It was made by DSaw , same as the liddel dict.
The BDB/Thayers/KJC/ TMV wad made from the Word and it is locked or to big to convert.

That is why you cannot convert it over to IPhone.

Thanks

Edited by patchworkid, 02 October 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#15 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have a devotional that converted, the data looks good in the database, transfers to the iPad, but will not display anything useful.  

#16 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:48 PM

I just got confirmation of Rick - there was a bug in the converter.  There is a new converter, version 1.1.2.  BH

#17 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

I have learn one more point about the converter from PC to HD.  If scripture tooltips are not green in the original, they will not convert using the converter.  It is not particularly hard to edit the original to make them convert, but you would need to know the the RTF color tag for your tooltips in the original, and change them to the green RTF tag before using the converter.  

#18 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

I just got confirmation of Rick - there was a bug in the converter. There is a new converter, version 1.1.2. BH

Yes, I heard the same thing. I installed the updated converter and now I am able to convert Abbott-Smith and have it work within the iPad app. A big thanks to Rick Meyers for making this available to iPad users.

EDIT: why is the Abbott Smith lexicon important to me? Let me give you a quote from the Let's Read Greek website:
"The 2nd edition of Abbott-Smith's famous A Manual Greek Lexicon of the New Testament was the standard English lexicon of the NT until the translation of Bauer's lexicon." So to me it is a great addition to Strong's, Thayer's, the Wordstudy dictionary. Plus, it interacts with the LXX.

Edited by Jogirl, 02 October 2013 - 07:22 AM.

#19 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:37 AM

I have learned a few more things about the conversion and use of modules in file sharing.  Once I have loaded the file onto my iPad, I turn it off and then start it up, not just close out the app. 

At times, the converter utility will freeze on me and not respond, for any of the following reasons:  my screen saver comes on, I select something else to do on my computer when the converter is running, or it just freezes for a reason I don't know.  I delete whatever portion of the file was converted and run it again.  Maybe these things are no-brainers to others.  And then, perhaps, it would begin to respond again if I waited...

#20 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:43 AM

I have learned a few more things about the conversion and use of modules in file sharing.  Once I have loaded the file onto my iPad, I turn it off and then start it up, not just close out the app. 

At times, the converter utility will freeze on me and not respond, for any of the following reasons:  my screen saver comes on, I select something else to do on my computer when the converter is running, or it just freezes for a reason I don't know.  I delete whatever portion of the file was converted and run it again.  Maybe these things are no-brainers to others.  And then, perhaps, it would begin to respond again if I waited...

The Converter appears to be a single-threaded app with no message loop monitoring (what did I just say?).  IF it appears to freeze up, just let it alone.  The conversion process may take some time and is continuing to run and it will alert you when it is done.  You can get it to "freeze" by trying to resize the window during a conversion process.  The window caption may say that the window is not responding, but the program is still running.  Just WAIT.  :-)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users