Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Issues with conversion to ios format for iPad app

20 replies to this topic

#1 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:23 PM

Overall, conversions from Bible, Dictionary, Commentary and Topic/Reference modules went very well. My iPad is humming :)) along with me. I love what I can now do in terms of Bible study.

However, when trying to get a working Abbott Smith Lexicon of the New Testament (user created module) onto the iPad app, I failed. The conversion utility turned the dict file into a lexi file. It loaded thru iTunes file sharing and is on the iPad but it doesn't work. Because the conversion turned it into a .lexi file, I don't know if that is the problem. Again, everything else is working. I am thankful for that.

The other stumbling block in preventing the study of original languages to be at its fullest (for me) is there is no LXX keyed to Strong's Greek. Ideally, this could be accomplished as it is on the software through the Apostolic Bible Polyglot module (both Greek and English). That module is locked and so cannot be converted for the iPad. And there seems to be no user module that would fill the gap.

All in all the conversions for the iPad are A+ and make it all the more useful!

Edited by Jogirl, 29 September 2013 - 04:26 PM.

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 12:21 PM

One thing I have noted with the converted files is that they are much larger than I would have expected.  Rebuilding the database AFTER conversion makes them much smaller.  One example is I expected a 8mb file, comparable to the files created in T4, but the file size was 18mb.  Rebuild the data base and it ends up at 8mb as expected.  I'm not sure if this is universal yet and it does not seem to affect the files working on the iPad.  

#3 Hiroshi.Rio

Hiroshi.Rio

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationRio, Brazil

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

@Jogirl:

Try to transfer your files to iPad with ifunbox (iPad folder: e-Sword/Library/Application Support). I say this because e-Sword did not recognize some modules that I moved to it with iTunes. 

@BH.:

What do you mean by 'rebuild'? And how can I do it? 

I would like to try with Peter Lange commentary (huge 245Mb .cmti file).

#4 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:17 PM

Jogirl - how big was the file before conversion?  As for doing it, I have build a simple tool into T4 to do that rebuilding of the file to vacuum out the extra space.  :-)   Note - I'm not sure if this size issue is general or not.  

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

@Jogirl:

Try to transfer your files to iPad with ifunbox (iPad folder: e-Sword/Library/Application Support). I say this because e-Sword did not recognize some modules that I moved to it with iTunes. 

@BH.:

What do you mean by 'rebuild'? And how can I do it? 

I would like to try with Peter Lange commentary (huge 245Mb .cmti file).

Some database editors call the feature "vacuum database ". Others call it "compact database". It makes the database as small as possible. The e-Sword converter isn't compacting the converted databases which isn't a functional problem, except it consumes more space. And when space is at a premium on your iPad or iPhone, it's worth the effort to compact the converted database.

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

I converted a DEVX file,  after vacuuming it, compacting it, the size went from 1.8mb to .8mb.  Eerily like the BBLX file, which was 18mb to 8mb, :-).   

#7 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

One thing I have noted with the converted files is that they are much larger than I would have expected.  Rebuilding the database AFTER conversion makes them much smaller.  One example is I expected a 8mb file, comparable to the files created in T4, but the file size was 18mb.  Rebuild the data base and it ends up at 8mb as expected.  I'm not sure if this is universal yet and it does not seem to affect the files working on the iPad.  

Yes, the larger files seem to be twice the size.  The topic modules, OTOH, seem to stay the same size.  So far, it has not affected the use of e-sword on the iPad.  The size of e-sword on my iPad is 2.3 GB and growing but I have a 64 GB iPad third generation so that size app is manageable.  However, I will think twice before I add larger commentaries and encyclopedias to it.

#8 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:58 AM

Jogirl - how big was the file before conversion?  As for doing it, I have build a simple tool into T4 to do that rebuilding of the file to vacuum out the extra space.  :-)   Note - I'm not sure if this size issue is general or not.  

BH,

I installed your software but cannot find the tool to use to vacuum and compact it.

#9 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:00 AM

@Jogirl:

I installed ifunbox and the interface seems straightforward but it looks like it would behave just like file sharing via iTunes.  So I am at a loss at to what it can do better or easier than iTunes.  ???

#10 Jogirl

Jogirl

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:02 AM

Forgot to say thanks to BH and Hiroshi.Rio for their suggestions and help.  Much appreciated!  :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users