Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Encrypting User modules that are copyrighted material

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:39 PM

Can I encrypt a user module I have created with the ToolTip Tool before uploading since the material is copyrighted? ( I have written permission to create the module). If so, is it done inside the ToolTip Tool or can I use a microsoft encrypting software, or is there another way to secure the module so the material cannot be edited.

Thanks

Novar

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:00 PM

Can I encrypt a user module I have created with the ToolTip Tool before uploading since the material is copyrighted? ( I have written permission to create the module). If so, is it done inside the ToolTip Tool or can I use a microsoft encrypting software, or is there another way to secure the module so the material cannot be edited.

Thanks

Novar

Is it a Topic module (filename.topx)? If so, yes, you can convert the topx module to a refx module (both readable by the e-Sword Reference Library). The refx module cannot be modified. See the e-Sword User's Guide for more information (press F1 in e-Sword).

#3 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Hello Josh, Say my module now resides in the reference library. Can I convert it to a refx from there? the conversion instructions say that in order to convert the doc needs to be in the topics notes window? If so do I paste it (250pg doc) into the Topic Notes window convert and then paste it back into the Reference Library window?

Thanks

Novar

#4 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:11 PM

Following up on my last post, I also tried copying the text in several reference library resources and tried pasting them into the topics window and the "Paste into Topics Notes" is grayed out so I cannot select it. 

Any ideas?

Novar

#5 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:38 PM

Josh, I played around a little and found how to paste the document into the Topic Notes window, but when I press control + Right click as the user guide instructs for converting a topx file to a refx file, I do not get the option to "convert to reference book" I only get the options to "New, Open, Import, and Export.

Any Ideas?

Novar

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

If you already have a topx file, you don't need to paste it into the Topic Editor. You need to just open the topx file with the Topic Editor.

The most common cause of the problem you describe, that you can't see the Convert to Reference Book option, is that the user is in the Study Notes or Journal Notes window, rather than the Topic Notes.

#7 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:55 PM

Josh, I played around some more and realized that theTopic Notes Window would not give me the option to convert as long as there was a copy of the same document by the same title in the Reference Library, so I deleted the document by the same title in the reference library and then I received the option to convert to a .refx file. So I converted it and placed the file in the Program(86x) folder and renamed it the original file name (because the Topic Notes conversion named it Topic.refx). Then when I opened the Reference Library the title of the document is there but know document appears in the window and the sections or chapters are gone. I know I have done something or many things wrong so could you give me any help on this? I was trying to follow the user guide instructions.

Thanks sooooooo much,

Novar

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:13 PM

You can send me the topx file you are trying to convert and I can see if it will convert to REFX format for me: josh@biblesupport.com

#9 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 09:17 PM

Ok, Thanks. Let me know how it wprks and how you got it to work.

Thanks

Novar

#10 Novar

Novar

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationIdaho State

Posted 28 September 2013 - 10:52 PM

Protocol for Converting Docs from E-sword Topx to secured Refx Docs

• Create document in Tooltip or in e-Sword module Program
  • Tooltip your document for best editing and formatting results
  • Once Topx file is created place file in My Documents\E-Sword folder
  • Open e-Sword and in the Topic Notes Editor, open Topx file by using drop down at bottom of Topic Notes window not at top where editing tools are located.
  • Select your Topx file from the drop down and it should be displayed in Topic notes window
  • Press cntrl then right click and select convert to reference doc from pop-up window
  • Place newly created .refx module in the folder of your choice.
  • Copy .refx module to e-sword folder in “Program Files or Program Files (x86).
  • Restart e-Sword and open Reference Library
  • You should find all is well.

Thanks to Josh for all his help.

Novar

Edited by Novar, 28 September 2013 - 10:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users