Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Macro Hotkey doesn't like the Book of John

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 breadcrumbs

breadcrumbs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 06:28 PM

Problem with Macro Hotkey not copying all verses.

Ps 103:3 Jn 1:29 as an example of two verses together.
I highlight and copy both together then macro hotkey to bring up verses. It will bring up Ps 103 verses 1 thru 22, the whole chapter. It will ignore Jn 1:29. I'm not sure what other books this may happen with, but I suspect that books that could have a number in front of them may present a problem. This happens with any book verse copied along with the book of John. ie 1 Tim 1.1 Jn 2.2 etc.  The samething happens in Tooltip when whenever the book of John follows another book. Are there any work arounds for this problem. Thank you.

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2013 - 11:51 PM

I am assuming you are speaking about the program e-Sword Hotkey.  A little insight into how the program looks up references, it looks for books first.  In your example,  Ps 103:3 Jn 1:29,  it will appear that it is looking at 3 John,  and the verse is 1:29 which does not exist.  It will then look up Psalms 103, the entire chapter.  If your text had a delimiter between the references, Ps 103:3, Jn 1:29, it will be looked up correctly.  Most references I work with have some delimiter between them.  The issue mainly comes up book names that several names, John being the worst.  A reference such as Ps 103:3 deu 32:4, WILL be found correctly.  Could I make the algorithm better?  Yeah, probably.  But it is not on my priority list at this time.  Add a comma or semi-colon will fix the problem on your end.  

And to convince you that it is looking for book references first, if your reference was Ps 103:4 Jn 1:29, they both would be found.  But again, usually there is some delimiter between references and your example does not have one.  One might ask, ok just look for a colon before the 4, but you also present an example of a period in the verse reference instead of a colon.  But what about a Reference such as Ps 3 Jn 1:1.  Is this Psalms 3 and John 1:1, or Psalms and 3 John 1:1?  The algorithm as it is works pretty well, and you need to understand some of the limitations.

#3 breadcrumbs

breadcrumbs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:13 AM

Thank you very much. I have found by putting an extra space [they was already one space between references], the extra space did the trick. Not complaining about the tools, they are great and a wonderful help.  Thanks

#4 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 07:29 AM

Yes, and extra space works because of your book abbreviation list.  Book names are found when they match the list, the rest of the reference can have a lot of "white space" and it does not matter.  

#5 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 01:17 PM

Looking at this issue, will will be easy to resolve this issue in e-Sword Hotkey.  In Hotkey, the exact position of a text reference is not needed to be known, thus, any occurrence of  :num or .num, (1-176) can be changed to have an added space after the number.  Thus,  "Ps 103:3 John 1:29" can be resolved.  The same can not be said for T4 where the precise location of scripture references must be known.  In order to resolve the issue in T4, I will need more code that in Hotkey.  That said, I now have Hotkey working with the above reference and will post an update this weekend.

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 10:33 PM

I have uploaded version 3.23 with a "fix" for the "Ps 103:3 Jn 1:29" situation.  

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 21 September 2013 - 11:24 PM

NOTE - the latest update is still not perfect.  Example:  Ps 103:1-3 Jn 1:29 will fail.  Ps 103:1, 3 Jn 1:29 will fail.  Again, the easiest fix would be to have the texts formatted with delimiters:  Ps 103:1-3, Jn 1:29, Ps 103:1, 3, Jn 1:29.

#8 breadcrumbs

breadcrumbs

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

BH,

Thanks for your efforts. Downloading now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users