Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Getting Message: Error Encountered Opening Bible File

2 replies to this topic

#1 jtwanabe

jtwanabe

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 04:40 PM

Though I just recently downloaded the latest version of Esword I'm not sure this is the issue. Regardless I

cant even load the KJV that comes with the program much less all my other downloads. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

JT

Edited by jtwanabe, 15 September 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#2 Scribe

Scribe

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 07:18 PM

Though I just recently downloaded the latest version of Esword I'm not sure this is the issue.

You might need to close down e-sword and re-start.

Regardless I cant even load the KJV that comes with the program much less all my other downloads. Any suggestions?

You shouldn't need to load the standard KJV as it will be automatically loaded, unless you a speaking about a different version type.

Are the other downloads compatible with the latest version (10.2.1)? Version 8 and lower are not compatible with version 10.2.1

Are you able to run the version of e-sword you recently downloaded?

Did you have a different version that worked?

There could be other reasons such as firewall settings. You'll need to be more specific if your still having problems.

Scribe

#3 PaulSmith.dat

PaulSmith.dat

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 September 2013 - 04:49 AM

Problem:The user I downloaded modules for had no problem opening them but all other users could not open them nor were listed on e-sword resources. My system is XP Pro with latest patches. Running e-sword 10.2.1. I've had e-sword for years but did not get the issue until version 10.x  Maybe It isn't 10.x per se but subtle changes caused by windows updates?

This solution worked for me. I noticed file owner on downloaded modules was blank where other resources had administrators group as owner. The user that downloaded had admin privileges - as did the other users trying to access. (Maybe if you install when not an admin the problem may not occur).

So I changed owner to admin so I could change file permissions. Only then could I change file permissions to allow other users to access the downloaded modules. This process is way too complex for 'normal' users so a programmatic change needs to be made when downloading resources.

The root issue is when e-sword installed modules the permissions aren't being set to allow all users access - even though the other users are also admin members. Technically one might balk at setting these modules to full access automatically in all users groups, but practically speaking what does it matter? The modules are not private to a user, and any corruption that may occur by allowing all users access can be fixed by re-downloading the resource again!

Paul Smith

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users