Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

creating module for mysword, hitting the bumps

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jedidia

Jedidia

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Ok, here's how things are looking:

I have converted an entire new testament to a vpl file (verse-per-line), as I saw that this was basically what ToolTip NT asks for, and I was aiming for esword as a priority.

So far so well, module finished, working perfectly in esword. Now on to other formats... and here the trouble starts.

First I tried the "cheat"-solution by simply changing the file extension, as was mentioned on this forum. It worked quite decently, except that it wreaked havoc to UTF-8 characters, replacing them not just with weird symbols, but indeed with whole strings of numbers and slashes. Since this is a bosnian NT, it's quite unreadable. So I look for another solution.

Next, a web-search brings me to open bible reader, which makes rather impressive boasts about its IO capabilities. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to do unicode either, so the vpl turns to giberish on import. I try to import the bblx file I created a bit earlier, but it can't open it. So much for that.

I come back here and take a look at the rather unweildy migration steps via TheWord, which I ignored before. I download all the neccessary stuff, then try to import my bblx file into TheWord importer. But the importer doesn't even want to start the process, claiming that my bblx file is password protected.

This is where I'm a bit out of ideas. There's two possibilities with what might be wrong with the last step: either TheWord importer screws up for some unknown reason which someone with more expierience on the matter might be able to uncover, or my bblx is indeed password protected and I'm too blind to find the export option in ToolTipNT that lets me turn off password protection.

If somebody could help me with that, I'd be much obliged. Alternatively, a reliable method to convert a vpl to a mysword module would also be appreciated.

#2 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:22 AM

theWord importer does not work with .bblx files.

If you want to send me the file, I can try migrating it back to a .bbl for you which will work with theWord importer.

#3 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

You can also try this method:

http://www.biblesupp...ord/?hl=scripts

I have not used this myself, so I am not sure if it will work for you.

Blessings,

Peter

#4 Jedidia

Jedidia

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:44 AM

theWord importer does not work with .bblx files.

Ah yes, I completely forgot about that. I just changed the file extension to .bbl in the hope it would work...

I have no problems with sending you the file, but a more independant solution would be welcome, as this is only a first version. It'll undergo some field testing and I'll probably have to make corrections, and I'm also not sure yet what other formats might be requested. It could get rather annoying for you if I have to convert the thing again. If you could point me to an application that can convert .vpl or .bblx to .bbl, it might be a more permanent solution.

alternativley:

I can code. If you can point me to a comprehensive documentation of the mySword format, I could probably write a converter from vpl myself.

EDIT: Just saw the additional reply. Will try that too, thank you.

#5 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 02 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Ah yes, I completely forgot about that. I just changed the file extension to .bbl in the hope it would work...

I have no problems with sending you the file, but a more independant solution would be welcome, as this is only a first version. It'll undergo some field testing and I'll probably have to make corrections, and I'm also not sure yet what other formats might be requested. It could get rather annoying for you if I have to convert the thing again. If you could point me to an application that can convert .vpl or .bblx to .bbl, it might be a more permanent solution.

alternativley:

I can code. If you can point me to a comprehensive documentation of the mySword format, I could probably write a converter from vpl myself.

EDIT: Just saw the additional reply. Will try that too, thank you.

Changing the extension to .bbl will not work.  .bbl is a completely different format (access data base).  There is a program that can migrate files backwards to .bbl, but it does not work for most people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users