Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Citing legal?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Ton Gelderblom

Ton Gelderblom

New to Bible Support

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hello,

I would like to know if it is officially legal to cite books you can download here. 

For exegesis for my study I cited the Pulpit Commentary which I downloaded here. 

I can't find the Pulpit Commentary in the download-window of e-Sword. 

So that means that when I download it here it's only for personal use if I understand it right? 

Is citing legal then? 

Thanks for your answer(s) 

#2 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 17 June 2013 - 10:32 AM

Hi, Ton,

What exactly do you mean by "officially legal to cite"?

I have a forum post here that discusses footnoting (end noting, body noting, etc.) using eSword. It may be helpful to you.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#3 Ton Gelderblom

Ton Gelderblom

New to Bible Support

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks DoctorDaveT,

Your link is helpful. I'll probably use that in the future.
"officially legal to cite" = that I won't break any copyright laws when I cite a work that I have downloaded here, but never bought.

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 01:12 PM

Ton:

All of the modules here are legal; all of the modules at my site are legal. So, you're good to go.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 18 June 2013 - 08:47 PM

It is never illegal to cite a source, whether you own a copy or not.

#6 Ton Gelderblom

Ton Gelderblom

New to Bible Support

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 June 2013 - 02:37 PM

Ok, Then I have it clear.

#7 TaSwavo

TaSwavo

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, UK

Posted 19 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think some of the people above got confused over citing and having the resource at all.

You asked about citing resources - they answered defensively without reason.

You were clearly asking about how YOU use eSword material. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Actually each source will usually have it's own rules of citing (i.e. for non-private usage).

It very often goes something like this

"you may quote up to 500 words from the text as long as you quote the copyright notice"

If you just say "NKJV John chapters 1-7" you are citing a lot more but you are NOT showing the content. The user would have to HAVE the NKJV to see the verses directly mentioned. This is ALWAYS acceptable (unless you are stating things about state secrets, spy stuff, or secret patented business stuff).

The same applies to books. I could say "Dawkins The God Delusion p16, para. 2" without problem. If I express it in text (i.e. print it out) I would have to adhere to the copyright rules stated in that book. I WOULD probably be allowed to do it if I quoted the copyright notice (i.e. where the quotation was from and who it belonged to) as long as it did not cross the threshold of what they allow (usually a number of words).

A properly crafted e-Sword file should include the copyright information in it's metadata (data you don't normally see).

Clicking the tab "Bible->Information" does not always give more than the basic copyright info - often it does though and one should look there first. The same applies for other sources (commentaries, etc.).

To be totally safe check out the BibleSupport page for the resource - as it might contain info otherwise unexpressed (which we have to agree we have read when we download something so...)

If in doubt don't go more than a couple of hundred words - and say what the source (who and what) you got it from is. It need only be a small addition in brackets on a slide, or a brief comment in a presentation (unless the credit is on screen or print that accompanies the presentation - if you record the presentation you should supply with it the accreditation of the works you quote - though it's only usual in academic circles to do so).

Edited by TaSwavo, 19 June 2013 - 04:21 PM.

#8 Tony Stark

Tony Stark

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 04:46 AM

It seems to me that citing the E-sword or other electronic version would be no different from citing the printed version--provided that the two are identical. However, on your automatic bibliography maker or whatever, you should definitely note which medium you used. For example, I am using Mark Driscoll's sermon transcripts instead of the audio version, and in Word's bibliography maker I note that I am using a PDF, and note which page I am citing and so on, and so on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users