Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Can E-Sword 10 be used with a Touch Tablet using Windows 8?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 philiptheevangelist

philiptheevangelist

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:58 PM

I am desiring to buy a Windows 8 touchscreen tablet to use with E-Sword 10.  I would like to transfer all of my notes from my laptop onto it and use it as my pulpit Bible.  Before I make the investment I would like to know if anyone is effectively using E-Sword on a Windows 8 tablet. 

Philip

#2 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:39 PM

There was a thread a few weeks ago about this and unless I missed it there was nothing definitive that came along - you can search for it and be sure.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:35 PM

Hello, I doubt e-Sword is completely touchscreen compatible but I don't know for sure.

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:11 AM

hi

please notice  the image that says

Minimal system requirements include:

• Windows XP (SP3), Vista, 7, or 8
  • Pentium based PC (or equivalent)
  • 800 x 600 resolution or greater

Attached File  e-Sword net.JPG   136.09K   20 downloads

thanks

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 Tim Phaler

Tim Phaler

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

I have also been considering a tablet and started the thread (I believe). A friend of mine purchased a surface pro, you can't operate esword with windowsRT, and esword looks amazing! However, using a full touch screen can be difficult as some of the tabs are hard to get to and scrolling up and down is similar as with a mouse. It depends how in depth of touch you want. Basically it's the same as your esword now with your finger as the mouse pointer.

Not sure if that helps any but I'm still going to be purchasing one, just waiting for the second gen windows 8 tablets to come out.

In His grace and love,

Tim Phaler

#6 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:21 AM

I use eSword and theWord daily on a MSI WindPad 110W.  Certainly neither is designed for a "touch" environment but I have no complaints with these programs over others that are not Windows 8 apps.  Note that Windows RT does not run on the same processor architecture that Windows 8 runs on so the requirements for software will be different (i.e. eSword won't run on it).  So to answer your intial question yes eSword works nicely with Windows 8 just as it does with Windows 7.

Edited by mikecindi, 18 May 2013 - 01:23 AM.

#7 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

A friend of mine says he overcame the "Touch" problem....because Surface Pro allows for a wire- less mouse to be used on the USB Port.

dartmaster644

Edited by dartmaster644, 25 September 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#8 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 02:42 PM

With a mouse, yes you can use it nicely.  With your fingers, unless yours are a lot sharper than mine, no :-)

Scrolling up and down or scrolling the book tabs is impossible on my 10 inch Acer Iconia.  Once in awhile I get it to move but no control and very seldom any reaction.

I'm using a bluetooth mouse. 

#9 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:41 AM

I just had a thought (and thats all that it is)....on these Windows 8 Tablets....you might be able to use a "Stylus"

if you don't or can't use a mouse. (Just a thought).

dartmaster644

#10 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 09:26 AM

I tried the normal rubber ball stylus and it wasn't any better than a finger.  I have a Dagi stylus I will try later and see if that is any better.  The Dagi is supposed to be a little more accurate though I tried it originally on a Lenovo touch screen netbook but the whole netbook was a bit of a flop so not sure poor operation on it is a just evaluation.

Edit:  Just tried it and it does not work at all on anything on my Iconia 10 inch.  It is no longer listed on ebay so they may have redesigned their offerings.  Mine has a plastic disk sticking out at an angle at the end.

I suggested that modifications would be nice for tablets but don't know if they will be forthcoming.

There might be a program that would let you run android in a window and use Mysword, haven't looked into that.

If it won't work on a 10 inch I'd rather doubt it would on smaller screens either.

Edited by exscentric, 26 September 2013 - 09:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users