Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Hebrew Fonts not Working in HiSB and HWSG

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 esmallmeadow

esmallmeadow

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 11:33 AM

Greetings All,

I have installed and tried all the Hebrew fonts in attempt to get these modules to display with hebrew text without success. The HOT+ and IHOT+ are displaying Hebrew correctly, but the HiSB (only shows the strongs numbers, hebrew transliterations, and English) and the HWSG (is displaying only : and - combinations which seems like a font issue, but none of the fonts correct the issue) are not displaying the text. Everything  else works perfectly. Maybe these two modules have something in common regarding the Hebrew Script which my phone does not want to perform correctly. I am running Android 4.1.2.

Thanks,

Eddie

#2 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:47 PM

Could it be a font issue? AFAIK the HOT+ and IHOT+ use Hebrew characters without vowel points, maybe the others have vowel points. You can download a different font here: http://www.mysword.i...d-mysword/fonts

Regards,
Rob

#3 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 09 May 2013 - 09:07 PM

Greetings All,

I have installed and tried all the Hebrew fonts in attempt to get these modules to display with hebrew text without success. The HOT+ and IHOT+ are displaying Hebrew correctly, but the HiSB (only shows the strongs numbers, hebrew transliterations, and English) and the HWSG (is displaying only : and - combinations which seems like a font issue, but none of the fonts correct the issue) are not displaying the text. Everything  else works perfectly. Maybe these two modules have something in common regarding the Hebrew Script which my phone does not want to perform correctly. I am running Android 4.1.2.

Thanks,

Eddie

Eddie,

I was not sure how to answer, but here is the answer I got from the MySword developers:

1. I think IHOT does not have vowels (diacritical marks).
2. Ask if WLC is properly displayed?
3 Since the font does not work in Jellybean, ask him to switch to default font for Hebrew.
4. Ask him if there are blank spaces where the hebrew text shoul appear.
5.  Ask him if he rooted the device and change the default roboto font to something else that do not have the complete unicode character set especially hebrew.

Blessings,
Peter

#4 esmallmeadow

esmallmeadow

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:32 AM

Thanks for your responses! The galaxy s3 is rooted with a custom rom. None of the Hebrew vowel marks display correctly, even WLC. So I guess I will try to reestablish the original/default font settings within this rom and see if things work from there. Looks like I will need the rom developer from XDA to find out what was changed and how to best change it back.

Thanks for your help. I just wanted to make sure there were no known compatability issues before changing my rom's settings.

Eddie

#5 Magno Lima

Magno Lima

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

Hello Eddie,

I am the guy who compiled HWSG. I have no issues here with nekutot & teamin. I did not used any other font but the default.

As I was unable to get support about how to properly formatting it I had quit to release a new version. The new one had marks to parashiot division (weekly reading of Torah) with references to haftarot, brit chadash and tehilim.

That notes are in Portuguese but are very simple to understand as it shows only verses reference and translation. My intention was to release an english, spanish and full hebrew version.

Would you like to test it? 

#6 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 16 August 2013 - 06:02 PM

hi

can you please upload a sample so we can look over it and help you get it into English.  (to help fix your module)  

thanks

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#7 Magno Lima

Magno Lima

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

Ok, but since the module itself is just a sqlite scruture I simple fill it with the raw text using uft8.

There is no formatting tags and I have compared with other texts both in greek, english and other hebrew texts (WLC ie.) and I did not see any diference. Tonight I upload the whole file here as a media or a dropbox link.

Shalom.

#8 Atheist Rob

Atheist Rob

e-Sword Addict

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:33 AM

Ok, but since the module itself is just a sqlite scruture I simple fill it with the raw text using uft8.

There is no formatting tags and I have compared with other texts both in greek, english and other hebrew texts (WLC ie.) and I did not see any diference. Tonight I upload the whole file here as a media or a dropbox link.

I've converted the Hebrew Study Bible series and the NA26 Greek bible from e-Sword to MySword, and I represent the UTF8 characters in HTML form, e.g. Aleph is encoded as "&#1488;".
MySword uses the HTML engine of the Android device to generate the text so I can imagine that not all devices will properly represent raw UTF8 characters. Could this be the reason?

Regards,

Rob

Edited by Atheist Rob, 23 August 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#9 Magno Lima

Magno Lima

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I've converted the Hebrew Study Bible series and the NA26 Greek bible from e-Sword to MySword, and I represent the UTF8 characters in HTML form, e.g. Aleph is encoded as "&#1488;".
MySword uses the HTML engine of the Android device to generate the text so I can imagine that not all devices will properly represent raw UTF8 characters. Could this be the reason?

Regards,

Rob

Could be the reason. I dont know if I can "simply" html tag go get some influence to the text, as changing or forcing some fonts to load, I really dont think it will work.

#10 Magno Lima

Magno Lima

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 04:45 PM

Well, 

Here the link to the "new" version of HWSG 1.2:

https://dl.dropboxus...69/hwsg.bbl.rar

Please let me know I everything is ok. Check the notes.

By the way today I was studing the week Torah portion (Ki Tavo - begin Deut 26:1) and the parashah name (portion name) was done using latin characters to easy text search (ki tavo, i.e., in hebrew could appear in a lot of places), so its works as a special text tag. Well, if I find this text mySword crashes! I have no problem with any other text searching in such manner.

Thank you all! Shabat shalom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users