Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Plans to make a module of NIV 1984 Bible?

26 replies to this topic

#11 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Having Bible Works for my desktop computer,  I waited until e-Sword was available for my iPad and iPhone before purchasing the NIV Bundle to use with e-Sword.  After purchasing the ipad and iPhone versions, I went to download the NIV bundle, and the 2011 translation is the only one available.  You cannot even read the 1984 version online on Bible Gateway anymore!  Evidently, the 1984 version is no longer being printed or published--digitally or otherwise.  In this event, does this mean that a 1984 NIV Bible Module can be made legally?  I really do not want to switch versions after 28 years of memorizing in the 1984 one.  If it can legally be done, does anyone plan to make such a module?  

Thanks, 

acjthai

This information may be useless due to the incompatibility issues between e-Sword PC edition and e-Sword  HD and LT.

When I updated the NIV 1984 edition to the 2011 Edition, I also kept the '84 one. This is e-Sword PC version.

Like I said, this information may be useless, and probably is. :ph34r:

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#12 wales

wales

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 05:01 AM

I have NIV Bible plus NIV study bible on my Android, they are available through the OliveTree app on Google play.  There is a charge for these bibles, there are some free and many others to download.   It is a good app, no charge for the App, I find it very useful. Give it a try.

Colin 

#13 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 07 April 2015 - 02:29 PM

Just a thought.

I'm one of those that do not throw out older editions of the Bible, i.e., 1984 Ed., of the NIV. I've also kept the TNIV due to it no longer being published, and no longer in print. For those who do not keep older editions, I think that this is perhaps one of the biggest mistakes one can make, because when it comes to inaccuracies in a new edition of an existing version, the best comparison tool one can have is the use of the previous, and/or a much older edition of that version. Comparison between translations/version tended to be shown as a pretty inaccurate method of comparison due to the changes within the translated language in the way that people speak today.

For example, I can think of about 3 examples to kick off Genesis 1:1 using today's English idioms and expressions which are just as accurate as "In the beginning ..."

1. The way God got the ball rolling ...
  2. The way God kicked it off ...
  3. The way God got started with banging up the heaven and earth was ...

As I just put up these three examples I had several more thoughts that came to mind of how one can translate the Bible and yet still have a very accurate translation. You might not like the expressions and idioms used, but that does not make a translation/version inaccurate. All inaccuracies and errors come as a result of mistranslating from the original language, not because its different from your favorite translation/version. Some inaccuracies and errors are deliberate to make it fit to a particular philosophy and/or agenda, but outside of that, most seem to be pretty good.

I don't quite know how I bunny trailed onto that, however I think that it was good to air out some of the stuff that goes on when it comes to the versions that we sometimes love to hate, and all that goes with it.

Enjoy.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#14 Olaf Bacon

Olaf Bacon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 06 December 2020 - 04:56 AM

The NIV84 title "1984 New International Version" is included as a Premium item from inside e-Sword, option "Download", option "Bibles", as from 2017/01/02, provided when you download e-Sword from https://e-sword.net/downloads.html The latest version for the Microsoft operating system is version 12.2.0 updated 2020/08/28. The latest version for e-Sword X for the Mac is version 7.0 2020/06/17 and for e-Sword HD for the iPad is version 10.2.1 updated 2020/05/08; and for the e-Sword LT for the iPhone, the latest update is version 10.2.1 updated 2020/05/26.

#15 schuc

schuc

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 May 2021 - 02:39 PM

The NIV84 title "1984 New International Version" is included as a Premium item from inside e-Sword, option "Download", option "Bibles", as from 2017/01/02

Sorry I'm bringing this old thread back but it's exactly what I'm wanting... NIV84 for e-sword.  FYI that I have been exchanging emails with Rick from e-sword support and he confirmed to me that even though NIV84 shows up in Download->Bibles, it is not possible to purchase it via e-sword.  He said that the option was removed by the publisher in 2012.

Just like others here, I would very much like to get NIV84... Actually, I'd like to get NIV73 as well but NIV84 is my main goal.

Any help/suggestions would be very welcomed!

#16 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 30 May 2021 - 09:07 AM

Sorry I'm bringing this old thread back but it's exactly what I'm wanting... NIV84 for e-sword.  FYI that I have been exchanging emails with Rick from e-sword support and he confirmed to me that even though NIV84 shows up in Download->Bibles, it is not possible to purchase it via e-sword.  He said that the option was removed by the publisher in 2012.

Just like others here, I would very much like to get NIV84... Actually, I'd like to get NIV73 as well but NIV84 is my main goal.

Any help/suggestions would be very welcomed!

I can help you via email if you want to go that route.

I have the NIV84.bblx module as well as an NIV78.bblx module.

You mentioned the NIV73 edition which at that time was just the NT the first edition with both the OT & NT is in fact the 1978 edition

#17 schuc

schuc

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 June 2021 - 06:13 PM

Just wanted to say thanks and you are all awesome. Have a great day everyone.

#18 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:08 AM

Is there a list of differences or changes between the different versions of the NIV anywhere, please? I've got a hardback '84 edition.

#19 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 09 June 2021 - 11:44 AM

Is there a list of differences or changes between the different versions of the NIV anywhere, please? I've got a hardback '84 edition.

There is a website that lists all of the changes between the 1984 NIV and the 2011 NIV, the site also has comparisons between the 1984 NIV h the 2011 NIV and the 2005 TNIV

http://www.slowley.c...011_comparison/

#20 Gerhard1

Gerhard1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 June 2021 - 08:56 AM

I still have and use the Old e-sword (8.05) and I have the NIV 1984 as a .bbl. savedonefree@yahoodotcom

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users