Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Plans to make a module of NIV 1984 Bible?

26 replies to this topic

#1 acjthai

acjthai

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationS.E. Asia

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Having Bible Works for my desktop computer,  I waited until e-Sword was available for my iPad and iPhone before purchasing the NIV Bundle to use with e-Sword.  After purchasing the ipad and iPhone versions, I went to download the NIV bundle, and the 2011 translation is the only one available.  You cannot even read the 1984 version online on Bible Gateway anymore!  Evidently, the 1984 version is no longer being printed or published--digitally or otherwise.  In this event, does this mean that a 1984 NIV Bible Module can be made legally?  I really do not want to switch versions after 28 years of memorizing in the 1984 one.  If it can legally be done, does anyone plan to make such a module?  

Thanks, 

acjthai

#2 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:20 PM

Excellent Question.  Have you written the people who hold the copyright for the NIV84 version?  They would have the final say on this translation, it would seem.  eSword no longer offers it for the desktop platform.

#3 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 26 April 2013 - 05:32 AM

I purchased the NIV bundle in 2011, and it included the NIV84 version, so I was able to access the info from the module. Since it has contact information I'll paste it here in case anyone wants to contact them about getting permission to make a module  for release,

The Holy Bible, New International Version
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by International Bible Society. Use of either trademark requires the permission of International Bible Society.

The NIV text may be quoted in any form (written, visual, electronic or audio), up to and inclusive of five hundred (500) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 25 percent or more of the total text of the work in which they are quoted.

Notice of copyright must appear on the title or copyright page of the work as follows:

Scripture taken from the HOLY BIBLE, NEW INTERNATIONAL VERSION®. Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society. Used by permission of Zondervan Publishing House. All rights reserved.

The "NIV" and "New International Version" trademarks are registered in the United States Patent and Trademark Office by International Bible Society. Use of either trademark requires the permission of International Bible Society.

When quotations from the NIV text are used in non-saleable media, such as church bulletins, orders of service, posters, transparencies or similar media, a complete copyright notice is not required, but the initials (NIV) must appear at the end of each quotation.

Any commentary or other Biblical reference work produced for commercial sale that uses the New International Version must obtain written permission for use of the NIV text.

Permission requests for commercial use within the U.S. and Canada that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Zondervan Publishing House, 5300 Patterson Avenue, S.E., Grand Rapids, MI 49530.

Permission requests for commercial use within the U.K., EEC, and EFTA countries that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, Hodder & Stoughton, Ltd., 47 Bedford Square, London WC1B 3DP, England.

Permission requests for non-commercial use that exceed the above guidelines must be directed to, and approved in writing by, International Bible Society, 1820 Jet Stream Drive, Colorado Springs, CO 80921.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#4 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:48 AM

Personally, I'd like to see the 1973 NIV made into a module.  It was the version that came out that caused quite a few folks to get royally upset and threatened to boycott it if they didn't change some things in it...  Specifically Acts 2:38.  By the 1984 release, it was changed in order to sell more copies.

#5 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 26 April 2013 - 08:20 AM

Personally, I'd like to see the 1973 NIV made into a module.  It was the version that came out that caused quite a few folks to get royally upset and threatened to boycott it if they didn't change some things in it...  Specifically Acts 2:38.  By the 1984 release, it was changed in order to sell more copies.

I remember hearing about the controversy, but can't remember what it was exactly.  I'm not wild about the NIV,  prefer the word for word translations like the  NASB, ESV or KJV.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#6 willriddle

willriddle

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 10:21 AM

Hi everyone.  I grew up on the NIV 1984 and now, as other have said, it can't be gotten anywhere.   I bought the NIV module for e-sword, but alas only the 2011.   Would anyone be willing to email me the 1984 if I show where I purchased the 2011?

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 26 November 2014 - 02:57 PM

Hi Brad,

If the copyright is not renewed for that edition, then in 2023 you should be able to make into a Module.

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#8 rcmichels1

rcmichels1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

My church only uses the 1984 NIV on Sundays. I was even looking for an offline one to download to my Android tablet. HA!  Good luck with that!  I was surprised that e-Sword didn't have the 1984 NIV as an available module.  Can't find it to purchase nor can I find it on Bible Support. :(  Will keep checking to see if that changes.  If anyone happens to know a link to a good, offline, 1984 NIV download for Android ... I would really appreciate it. TY! 

#9 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:00 PM

My church only uses the 1984 NIV on Sundays. I was even looking for an offline one to download to my Android tablet. HA!  Good luck with that!  I was surprised that e-Sword didn't have the 1984 NIV as an available module.  Can't find it to purchase nor can I find it on Bible Support. :(  Will keep checking to see if that changes.  If anyone happens to know a link to a good, offline, 1984 NIV download for Android ... I would really appreciate it. TY! 

http://download.cnet...4-76239035.html

I do not have Android so ?? so Might not be what your looking for

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#10 rcmichels1

rcmichels1

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 06 January 2015 - 05:00 PM

Thanks to those that sent me a link to the 1984 NIV module download.  :)   Look forward to any info regarding offline NIV for android as well.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users