Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

configuring(?) tooltip

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 berwi

berwi

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:11 AM

L.S. in the name of our Savior,

I am trying to make a cmtx file. By tooltipping (>menu>scripture>tooltip), e.g. Rom 8:29, it turns out as (in green or the chosen color) Rom_8:29.

Is it possible that this _ (underscore in stead of the space) will be left away? If yes: how, if no: is there a possibility (the kindness) to build it in? In many other commentaries I see that this underscore is not present indeed.

Kind regards

Ben

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

e-Sword requires the _ to be present because e-Sword uses a pattern match to "recognize" verses (instead of an RTF link).

The _ actually is in other commentaries you see. The underlining of the verse conceals the underscore. That's the reason e-Sword tooltipped verses have the underlining--to conceal the rather ugly underscore. The reason "Georgia" is the default font in e-Sword is because Georgia's underlining completely conceals the underscore. Times New Roman, for example, often does not.

It's kind of a bandaid on a bandaid, all caused by not using RTF links.

On the ToolTip 4 "Tooltips" menu bar, where the color is chosen, also pick underlining and you should not see the _ anymore.

#3 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:03 PM

It is possible to get a clean look and a popup. Just use white for the single underscore and remove the underline. So you would need to use a search and replace on the module to easily change them all, that is what I do.

Jon

Attached File  2013-04-16 23 56 26.png   16.86K   9 downloads

#4 berwi

berwi

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 06:49 AM

Thank you Jon for your solution.

I think I understood it, but when trying it, I met a problem

The simple replace of the existing green underscore by pasting an underscore in white succeeded. But not in the replace-mode. By pasting the white underscore, the color is simply "forgotten" and the underscore is replaced by another underscore.

I think I do something wrong. But what?

Ben

Thank you Josh for your kind and clear explanation.

Ben

#5 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 17 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Hi,

I was just showing an idea of how to get the popup and the text to look nice and clean.

But this idea would really need to be implemented by the authors of e-Sword and/or T4 because to change a whole module one needs to use a Sqlite editor and understand rtf codes and regular expressions.

Jon

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 April 2013 - 02:57 PM

Using Raymond's Sqlite Regexer tool, I think it would work like this:

search for: _

replace with: \\cf8_\\cf3

cf8 turns the _ white. cf3 returns the color to the e-Sword light green tooltip color.

Another route: Before making the module, you could use MS-Word to search/replace _ with _ colored white.

This will look odd for anyone who does not have their background set to white, though.

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2013 - 10:04 PM

I have experimented with T4, and adding four lines of code to T4 I can make the "_" in a valid references white.  The "_" is still there, just white.  If you copy and paste the text to another program, the underscore remains.  I have not released this code, but it is simple enough.  Of course, this only applies to NEW modules you are creating... 

#8 berwi

berwi

Liking e-Sword

• Veterans
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 04:30 AM

L.S. in the Name of our Savior,

I did understand, there is still the possibility that the white _ will be visible against a coloured background. When I was thinking this over, and read again what Josh had explained, it became me suddenly clear, that a long time ago I had changed the default character in E-sword in another one (because of my eyes). So I changd it back and ..yes.. the _had disappeared in the underline. Before this, the _ had come upon the underline.

So the problem is solved. Only with the restriction to maintain the default character. But that is someething I can live with. Remains the possibility that other people meet the same problem when they read the cmtx file.

But as for now thanks to you all who paid attention to my question.

God bless you

Ben

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users