Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Help with downloads please

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 patdavoll

patdavoll

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

I'm trying to download some files, but I get a message that I can't do that till my other downloads have completed.  But I don't have any others waiting.  I have tried to download a couple and lost my internet connection, but I deleted those from my downloads.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks

#2 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

I'm trying to download some files, but I get a message that I can't do that till my other downloads have completed. But I don't have any others waiting. I have tried to download a couple and lost my internet connection, but I deleted those from my downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks

What are you trying to use to download with, and what browser are you using? Information like this and more would be the start to trying to figure out what's wrong. Can you download from other sites or not at all?

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:33 PM

I'm trying to download some files, but I get a message that I can't do that till my other downloads have completed. But I don't have any others waiting. I have tried to download a couple and lost my internet connection, but I deleted those from my downloads. Can anyone help me? Thanks

I'm afraid you may have fallen in between the "cracks" of recent security steps I've taken.

A couple of weeks ago, someone attempted a (weak and uncoordinated) denial of service attack on this server. It involved the use of proxy servers, creation of multiple accounts, and multiple downloads of the largest file they could find. This was combined with some other elements as well, no need to go into it all.

My response was to install a hair trigger (zero tolerance really) firewall that will ban anyone who attempts to port scan the server. I blocked most proxy servers from viewing this website, blocked new account signups from proxy servers, blocked new account signups from more than 1 ip address, and other measures. I also stopped allowing more than 2 simultaneous downloads.

I believe you were snagged on that last one: more than 2 simultaneous downloads. I can only foresee this happening on a dialup connection or satellite type of connection? You will probably just have to wait until the server realizes (times out) the broken download. I apologize for this.

Josh

#4 jmloy

jmloy

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationNaples, Florida 34120

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

A lot of the programs offered here don't self extract or can be extracted. I've got tons of Esword modules but I can't get any from here. I am using Ken Ward's zipper (and it opens files elsewhere but not many from here). I'm trying to load "The Greek New Testament Commentary" Alford.

Berdine Mayes Th.M.

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:53 AM

Hi, welcome to Bible Support.

When you download this commentary, you're downloading a file named: TheGreekTestament.cmtx

You should copy that file (TheGreekTestament.cmtx) to either:

c:\program files\e-sword

-or-

c:\program files (x86)\e-sword

Then re-start e-Sword.

If you can't get the file to copy and appear in e-Sword, write back here and I'll make it a self installing module for you and upload it.

This on my wishlist of e-Sword functionality-- for a user to be able to double click on an e-Sword resource (like the one you downloaded) and e-Sword install the resource. I have even contemplated writing a stand-alone utility that would let a user double click on an e-Sword resource and install it in the e-Sword folder (I receive enough inquiries about this to make it worthwhile...)

#6 hrob1

hrob1

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 06:29 PM

I have downloaded about 20 different comentaries. Only about 10 are in E-Sword. Where are the rest?
If I download some there is the "E" in a box when I run or open it it goes to E-Sword.
Some if the icon has a picture of a PC it will dopwnload into E-Sword Sometimes.
I use Firefox but I have tried with IE and the same result.
On my downloads page of the PC all the items are are in the download but I can't get them into E-Sword.
What do I do?????

thanks,
hr

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 October 2011 - 08:22 AM

I have downloaded about 20 different comentaries. Only about 10 are in E-Sword. Where are the rest? If I download some there is the "E" in a box when I run or open it it goes to E-Sword. Some if the icon has a picture of a PC it will dopwnload into E-Sword Sometimes. I use Firefox but I have tried with IE and the same result. On my downloads page of the PC all the items are are in the download but I can't get them into E-Sword. What do I do????? thanks, hr

1) From the Firefox download screen,right click the cmtx file you downloaded and choose "Open Containing Folder":
Attached File  firefox-cmtx.jpg   82.43K   15 downloads

2) Windows Explorer appears with the file you downloaded highlighted. Right click the file you downloaded and click copy:
Attached File  install-cmtx1.jpg   247.92K   17 downloads

3) After clicking copy, go to your e-sword folder, as shown below. Your e-Sword folder might be:

c:\program files\e-sword

-or-

c:\program files (x86)\e-sword

Attached File  install-cmtx2.jpg   307.35K   19 downloads

4) Right click on the screen,and choose "Paste"
Attached File  install-cmtx3.jpg   295.03K   25 downloads

5) Restart e-Sword

I have a raw beta program I wrote that takes over the e-Sword file associations in Windows. And when you double-click an e-Sword resource, it copies it to the appropriate folder automatically. I never finished it (procrastination). When I do, I may call on you to help test it on your version of Windows.

Josh

Attached Files

#8 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:06 AM

This may help to shed some light on this situation. All of the files I've downloaded here with the exception of a few did not arrive on my computer named like the download page here. Most of them were without extensions, and I had to rename the files before they could be used. I have no idea if that's a problem with what I used to download with or not. I use the download functions in Firefox. It's ironic that the correct extension is part of the filename in many cases - example:

123zip
123exe

No extensions at all. I have to rename the files to

123.zip
123.exe

and then they will work correctly. So, I carefully download one file at a time and compare the filename of what I got with the download page here. I then rename what I got to match the filename on the download page here. It sounds like this same thing is happening to hrob1. The quickest way he could find out is to look at the files and see if they have a filename extension. Obviously, a file without an extension is not going to work. I hope this helps some.

If this is a problem in Firefox, I have no clue in how to fix it. I do download from other sites without any problems.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:51 AM

Journey,

As an experiment, could you create an account and download several files from this site: http://invisionfocus.com/files/ Just pick some files at random to download (free ones, of course).

That site also runs IPBoard. That will tell us if your Firefox is having problems with just this site or with all IPBoard sites. If it happens on all IPBoard sites, then I can work with you to try to replicate this issue so I can report it as a bug. Right now, I am unable to reproduce this problem on any of my three Windows computers (Vista, Windows 7, and XP). I'm running Firefox 7.0.1 on my computers. If the problem happens only on BibleSupport.com, and not on other IPBoard sites like the one above, then that can help point us in the right direction too.

When you report back with what happened on the test downloads, can you also report your version of Firefox (click Help/About) as well as your version of Windows?

Thanks,
Josh

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:45 PM

I'm running Firefox 7.0.1 on my computers

Josh,
I'm running Firefox 7x on my 'puter, using Windows XP, and to date I've have had no issues with downloading any files from here. The only time I strike a problem with downloading is when I use my download manager when there is no zip or exe extension to the file. For some reason the Download Manager just doesn't recognize files without a zip or exe extension.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21).

Edited by APsit190, 09 October 2011 - 02:46 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users