Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there an Android version or not?

32 replies to this topic

#21 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:42 AM

The limitation of Xamarin appears to be that you are limited to native controls, anything above this requires specific code for each platform.

#22 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:09 PM

The limitation of Xamarin appears to be that you are limited to native controls, anything above this requires specific code for each platform.

Hi Jon,

I don't know too much about that, and with that said, I'm not going to disagree with you.

Having said all of that, the one thing I do know, is that when it comes to Cross Platform software, this goes a very long way to bring about those capabilities. And with that, when it comes to the Controls and component units is that to have  them working on all the platforms. This, then, cuts out a huge amount of work.

How does this affect e-Sword? Well, it works out great. And moreover, the thing is that irrespective of the platform, the resource file extensions remains the same, and works the same way whether its on an iOS, Android, or Windows mobile devices. This means that what works e.g., Android, works on the other two platforms and etc.

Finally, let me make this recommendation: Go to the MSDN Channel 9 site, and search up Xamarin, and either download the videos, or watch them online. There is a real huge heap of stuff that one can do with this product. Also, there are tutorials on coding, design, and etc., and on how all this comes together to get it working on all the platforms. That said, the best thing you can do, is to have a play with it yourself, and see just how good it is. I can promise one thing, it ain't gonna bite you ;)

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 10 October 2016 - 05:13 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#23 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 11 October 2016 - 02:05 AM

Hi Stephen,

I watched some video tutorials in the past and just a couple of days ago from the Xamarin developer site (not that I am a developer, I am just a hobbyist programmer). It would be interesting to hear comments from the developers of biblical software, to get their take on Xamarin, and how much shared code could be used. I am not in a position to make a comment beyond the one I gleaned from watching the tutorials. 

Jon

#24 w4ien

w4ien

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:31 AM

I am interested in knowing the process of converting e-Sword content to MySword for my Android tablet.  Can someone give me some details on this process?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

Robin

#25 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 11:17 AM

I am interested in knowing the process of converting e-Sword content to MySword for my Android tablet.  Can someone give me some details on this process?  I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you in advance.

Robin

You could make a start by looking here http://www.biblesupp...ules/#entry4372

Jon

#26 mikejody

mikejody

Liking e-Sword

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:27 PM

It's now been years and years on this topic; is there any update to getting an Android version of E-Sword?

#27 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 June 2017 - 09:25 AM

It's now been years and years on this topic; is there any update to getting an Android version of E-Sword?

The answer is still no, but you're welcome to ask Rick Meyers again yourself: http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#28 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:23 AM

The answer is still no, but you're welcome to ask Rick Meyers again yourself: http://www.e-sword.net/feedback.html

Below says it all in regard to what I am doing about it.

Attached File  PRAY.gif   13.04K   0 downloads

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#29 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 04:35 AM

Below says it all in regard to what I am doing about it.

Attached File  PRAY.gif   13.04K   0 downloads

Blessings,

Autograph.png

X (formerly Twitter)

#30 irsmun

irsmun

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

My feeling is that Rick is an apple snob. It's quite a common illness among apple culture.
So, feel lucky there is even a PC version. The fact that android dominates the market by no small margin doesn't matter.
I wouldn't hold my breath as I'm sure he's had multiple thousands of requests for this over the years, many with the offer to pay for it, with no hint of ever becoming reality.

Edited by irsmun, 08 July 2017 - 11:24 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users