Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there an Android version or not?

32 replies to this topic

#11 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 08 October 2016 - 06:06 AM

I agree that mySword is good. I would simply love to sync my personal work when away from the desktop, though. This includes Study Notes and Topics. Can't think of anything else, but I'd also gladly pay for those two myself. When I suffered from temporary insanity and bought both an iPad and iPhone two upgrades ago, HD was such a class act, but still, it wouldn't sync notes. I don't understand why that's such a problem when I can enter a new contact, calendar reminder, or draft an e-mail with Google, it's all instantly available on both my Galaxy Tab 4 and S7 phone also. And I don't pay a cent for it! Would gladly pay much more if someone could make e-Sword compatible also.

And I'm talking about a native app, not something like APsit190's comment above. The reason there is that I'm totally ignorant of the Visual Studio thingy, but wonder if it would do the job while camping in the wilderness or riding a camel through a foreign desert with no Internet access. Would it still sync what work I'd done there when I got back to civilization? if "Yes," I may look into it.

I absolutely LOVE e-Sword!

Edited by EarlMelton, 08 October 2016 - 06:09 AM.

#12 MikeLi

MikeLi

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:27 PM

Eliran,

Thanks.  I will take a look.  It would just be so much easier if I could have one program for all my devices.  

#13 MikeLi

MikeLi

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 07:38 PM

Hello Earl,

I think what APsit190 was saying is that if the source code for e-sword written using Visual Studio, which is a piece of software to compile code so it can run on various platforms, for example Win, IOS and Android.  The base code is still the same but Visual Studio handles the heavy lifting of adjusting the code so that it works on the various systems.  Essentially, the developers should just have to tell Visual Studio what platforms they intend to use e-sword on and hit.  Not being a coder it is probably harder than that but that is the basic.

#14 EarlMelton

EarlMelton

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • LocationLevelland, Texas

Posted 09 October 2016 - 05:53 AM

Thanks, MikeLi,

So, with Visual Studio, I would not have to be online and my PC back at the cabin would not have to be left on and online 24/7/365? When I climbed out of the Grand Canyon, returned home and fired up the PC, all the work I'd done while in the hole would be synced? Reason I'm asking is that another "solution" to make e-Sword compatible with Android was posted some time back. But for it to work while you were away, the 'puter at the house had to be live and online. In reality, you were working remotely on that PC, but using your Android phone or tablet or Linux laptop to do so. That would not be possible in the scenarios I'm probably inadequately describing. If it would be possible with Visual Studio, I'm looking into it, by cracky! And I'll give APsit190 a big high five for his post!

Wait, I just re-read your reply. Visual Studio is a programming tool which would be used to completely rewrite the e-Sword program? Confessing here that I'm totally ignorant about it! I was somehow thinking it was an app I could install on the Android and possibly also on the PC. That's not the case, though, is it? Shoot a monkey!!!

#15 MikeLi

MikeLi

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 07:28 AM

Earl,

You are welcome.

Correct visual studio is tool (know as a compiler) for developers not you and I. But in most cases today the source code is writen using a multipurpose compiler such as Visual Studio so the developer doesn't have to be an expert in all the different device operating systems, such as Win, Android, Linux, iOS 10.....

I just wish the e-sword people would compile an Android version of the program. Like I mentioned I am not a hard coder (more of a hack then anything) so I am sure it is a bit more complicated but that is a basic understanding.

In other words for now we are out of luck!

#16 Tj Higgins

Tj Higgins

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 10:07 AM

Earl,

You are welcome.

Correct visual studio is tool (know as a compiler) for developers not you and I. But in most cases today the source code is writen using a multipurpose compiler such as Visual Studio so the developer doesn't have to be an expert in all the different device operating systems, such as Win, Android, Linux, iOS 10.....

I just wish the e-sword people would compile an Android version of the program. Like I mentioned I am not a hard coder (more of a hack then anything) so I am sure it is a bit more complicated but that is a basic understanding.

In other words for now we are out of luck!

You might do a Google search for software conversion tools as there are some that can convert Windows softeware (EXE) to Andriod's APK format however even with such a tool there would still be an issue converting e-sword modules to Android format 

#17 Eliran Wong

Eliran Wong

e-Sword Fanatic

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:09 PM

Android device with Intel CPU, may run exe file with crossover:  https://www.codeweav...ossover-android

I had installed TheWord in one of my Android devices.  It runs very good.

#18 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:14 PM

Hi Earl,

Visual Studio is a Programming IDE (Integrated Development Environment) which one can create and deploy software.

Visual Studio 2015 Programming IDE Community Edition

Visual Studio 2015 -Developement Mode.png

There are two major parts to the program which are:

1. The Designer, which is seen in the above Screenshot
  2. The Code (Text) Editor

And for Windows programs this is what is normally used.

Visual Studio has several programming languages built into it, which are, C#, C++, Java Script, Visual Basic, F# and Python, just to name a few.

Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition - Code Editor

Visual Studio 2015 Code Editor.png

With Visual Studio 2015, one can also create software (Apps) for both Android and iOS devices using Xamarin. And its this capability that really make this IDE an exceptionally handy tool because it takes away the need to write code separately for the different platforms. Because of having Xamarin built into Visual Studio, using C# as the backbone, it is now just a matter of designing and writing code once, then compile it for the required platform.

But it doesn't end there.

Because of the fact that Microsoft has gone with Universal Windows, which means Windows now covers all of their devices. It is now just a matter of just writing code once, and then compile and deploy for the various platforms. This includes:

• Windows PC
  • Windows Xbox
  • Hololens
  • Windows Mobile (which includes the Surface Phone).

Microsoft is also seriously looking at developing for AI (Artificial Intelligence) devices. And so, in the next update of VS2015, one may possibly see what one can do in that respect.

Since having this version of Visual Studio, I began to take a serious renewed interest in programming especially in the areas one can go into. And one of the areas that has increasingly become more interesting to me is both Virtual and Augmented Reality, ergo the Hololens. What one can do with that baby is only limited to one's imagination.

Now, getting to the significance of what this all means.

From my perspective, it would not be difficult for Rick Meyers to create e-Sword for Android. To do this all he needs to do is get a grasp of C#, (if he hasn't already), and then create a Xamarin project in Visual Studio, design the UI (User interface), write the code, then compile and deploy for:

• iOS devices, both Phone and Tablet
  • Android devices, both Phone and Tablet
  • Windows Phone.

Easy and straight forward as that.

Now, all we have to do is just to convince him. And that can be your job :lol:

Blessings,

Autograph.png

Attached Files

Edited by APsit190, 09 October 2016 - 04:27 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#19 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 09 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

Android device with Intel CPU, may run exe file with crossover:  https://www.codeweav...ossover-android

I had installed TheWord in one of my Android devices.  It runs very good.

Hey Eliran,

What Android brands have Intel CPUs? You now have got my eyebrows totally raised.

Blessings,

Stephen (Php 1:21).

X (formerly Twitter)

#20 JPG

JPG

Jon.

• Moderators
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 02:38 AM

My Lenovo YOGA Tablet 2-1050F has an Intel processor.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users