Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Trouble with the "search" feature here.

2 replies to this topic

#1 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've been having issues with the "search" bar here at BibleSupport.  For example, I typed in Far Above All in the search box, made sure it was set on e-Sword downloads, and it came up with zero results.  However, I uploaded the "Far Above All" translation over a year ago, and found it in my list of uploads.  Peter P also uploaded the MySword version, and it didn't show up in the search either.  Is this an effort by the folks who run the ip board program to force people to use the now-default Google search? (which, by the way, is really annoying).

-Brad

#2 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 23 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

I've been having issues with the "search" bar here at BibleSupport.  For example, I typed in Far Above All in the search box, made sure it was set on e-Sword downloads, and it came up with zero results.  However, I uploaded the "Far Above All" translation over a year ago, and found it in my list of uploads.  Peter P also uploaded the MySword version, and it didn't show up in the search either.  Is this an effort by the folks who run the ip board program to force people to use the now-default Google search? (which, by the way, is really annoying).

-Brad

Google search has been the default search here for some time, I agree that it is very annoying to have to keep changing it, especially since most browsers have a web search engine easily accessible in their tool bar.  

The default should be (in my not so humble opinion) e-Sword downloads, but then others may prefer mysword downloads or help files depending upon what their needs are most of the time.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

The Google Search was a Google search of our downloads section. Rather than querying our database, it was querying Google's index of our website. But it was creating more problems than it was solving.

So now the default search says "Downloads" and queries our own database. The built-in search algorithm isn't nearly as good. But Google wasn't showing all of our results. (When there was an e-Sword and MySword upload of the same content, Google would show only one or the other, probably thinking one was duplicate content).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users