Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Feedback, features, complaints

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

I've made a lot of changes over the past week or two, most small and too numerous to mention, a few large. I wanted everyone to feel free to speak up if there's something changed that bothers you. Or if you would like to see a new something changed or added, again feel free to comment. I assume when no one complains, they like it. :)

Specifically, does the new Topics / Replies Summary on the main page of the Forums add value to your experience here? The idea is a bird's eye view of recent activity, but it also consumes a great deal of screen real estate. Or does it not really matter either way?

Does the front page add value to the site? I was never quite sure how to approach the front page. Is there something that isn't there that you would like to see? Is there something there that shouldn't be? I thought about minimizing the Latest News to the side and taking the side content and putting it in the center. Also added to the front page, left column is: New e-Sword Modules: Today | Since Last Visit

I've also made a number of changes to the downloads area.

I tried to distinguish between this website and the official e-Sword software, by putting "Official e-Sword" text in the left column that links to e-Sword.

I added: "e-Sword 9+ Module Download:" at the top of each download for 9.x downloads, and similar text for 8.x and MySword downloads. This addresses the common misunderstanding of downloading the wrong module version. I'm working on separating the MySword downloads into its own left hand column as well.

Lots of small URL changes to make Google happy.

And I've added a pull-down menu system. When you hover over a menu item (like Forums or Downloads), you have a direct link to specific sections within those areas. Also added a Settings Menu to make changing your password, picture, email notifications, etc easier.

#2 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 01:19 AM

Dear Josh

I am new to the forum and surely I don't know all the features.

However, I missed a way to know which replies I had read and which I hadn't, like in the old e-Sword-Users. I think this reply summary is the nearest thing: at least I can know what has been written recently, and I don't need to check all the threads again.

Thank you, I think this is becoming a great place.

Regards,

Carlos

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:28 AM

Dear Josh

I am new to the forum and surely I don't know all the features.

However, I missed a way to know which replies I had read and which I hadn't, like in the old e-Sword-Users. I think this reply summary is the nearest thing: at least I can know what has been written recently, and I don't need to check all the threads again.

Thank you, I think this is becoming a great place.

Regards,

Carlos

Hi Carlos,

Good points. We do have that feature, it's just not obvious. I'll work on making this functionality easier to use.

In the attached screenshot, notice the cross graphics. The darker cross graphic means there's unread posts/replies in that forum. The lighter (washed out) cross means you have no unread content/replies in that forum.

Also, (not shown in the screenshot) near the top, right of your screen you will see this link: View New Content. This shows you all posts/replies since your last visit. And this definitely needs to be more prominent and intuitive. Thanks for bring these up, I'm sure others wondered about this as well.

Attached Files

#4 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:43 AM

Good points. We do have that feature, it's just not obvious. I'll work on making this functionality easier to use.

Is there a "Jump to first unread message" feature?

With two or three pages, it isn't too difficult to find the last message that was read.
I'm looking to when there are conversations that add three or four pages overnight.

On one forum I frequented, the record was 1,000 posts in the same thread in a twelve hour time frame. The type of success one desires, but dreads.

jonathon

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:01 PM

Is there a "Jump to first unread message" feature?

With two or three pages, it isn't too difficult to find the last message that was read.
I'm looking to when there are conversations that add three or four pages overnight.

On one forum I frequented, the record was 1,000 posts in the same thread in a twelve hour time frame. The type of success one desires, but dreads.

jonathon

Good suggestion, have had that issue myself here with paging through old content to find new content. Now when you click a forum topic, you will be taken to the first unread post, if you are logged in. This is true whether you're clicking from the front page on a topic listed there, the forums index page with the recent topic summary, or from within the forum itself where all of that forum topics are listed. Of course, you can still navigate to any page of the topic you like.

#6 Justin

Justin

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2011 - 01:37 AM

I adore the recent activity updates and nearly everything else I have seen. To be honest, I do not pay any attention to the front page.
"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life and he that winneth souls is wise." - Proverbs 11:30

#7 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 29 August 2011 - 06:24 PM

Hi Josh,
Thus far you've done a pretty good job, and really I've got no complaints. :D HOWEVER (I like saying that) I've got a suggestion I've like to make as there is nothing totally perfect and that there is always room for improvement )I like saying things like that as well ;) )

One of the things I would like to see in the resources/modules information editor is to have the ability to upload and insert screenshots of what a particular resource looks like such as a Bible translation, commentary and etc. At the moment we don't have that available. The editor I'm using at the moment gives me the opportunity to attach an image file, and although this is reasonably good, It end to think that to upload and insert the file is rather better.

Ok, time to get off my hobby horse and soapbox.

Oh yeah... ummm, before I forget ... keep up the good work and don't stress out.

Blessings,
Stephen (Php 1:21
X (formerly Twitter)

#8 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 29 August 2011 - 08:20 PM

So you want to be able to do this:

http://www.biblesupp...book-converter/

The screenshot of what the program looks like? I just need to turn it on for each category...functionality is already there

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:36 PM

Hi Josh,
Yup... I've done what you did with a screen shot of ESIM but all it is, its just an attached file that one has to click on in order to be able to be viewed, not an inserted.

I just need to turn it on for each category...functionality is already there

Great! then can you do that too please with a great big cheesy :D (grin)

Blessings with a great big >:D<
Stephen (Php 1:21).
X (formerly Twitter)

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hi Josh,
Yup... I've done what you did with a screen shot of ESIM but all it is, its just an attached file that one has to click on in order to be able to be viewed, not an inserted.

Great! then can you do that too please with a great big cheesy :D (grin)

Blessings with a great big > :D<
Stephen (Php 1:21).

Easy enough, I enabled this feature in every category and subcategory. The field below where you upload a file, will now let you upload a screenshot, similar to how you did this: http://www.biblesupp...installer-menu/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users