Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

How to change location for saving topic notes

18 replies to this topic

#1 Diane Constantine

Diane Constantine

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:49 AM

I have copied the e-sword data file to online storage. But how do I tell my e-sword application that I want to save online, not in my docs folder?

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

You mean for Topic Notes, Journal Notes, and Study Notes? You can press CTRL-right click in any of those windows for an option to Open a topic/journal/study note file. If your online storage (like DropBox) has a PC app that makes the storage a Drive letter, you can navigate to it.

#3 gurumike

gurumike

New to Bible Support

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hi, I am the husband of the lady above and have been an e-Sword user for years. I think what would help would be to have the process for putting the topics, journal and Study notes clearly outlined in one place. Right now we are trying to cobble it togetehr from several places. Does that exist anywhere?

#4 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Josh's explanation is right on if you open a topics, journal and Study notes file form Ctrl + Right  click open  then that file will also be saved in that location

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

If you right click in any of the Editor windows, you can configure (with the Open command) where e-Sword looks for the study, note, or journal file. 

This works for Drop Box (when using their PC sync app):

1) CTRL-right click in an e-Sword Editor window (Journal, Study, or Topic).

2) Click Open

3) Navigate to your Users\[your name]\dropbox folder. For example, my path is: C:\Users\Josh\Dropbox. Your path will be different, depending on your what your Windows user account name is.

(TIP: You can Click Start > Run: %homepath%/dropbox to get the complete path to your Drop Box location if you don't know your User path).

4) Choose the Study, Journal, or Topic module (as appropriate for which Editor window is active) and click Open.

This assumes you have already copied the Study, Journal, and/or Topic note files to Dropbox and it's had time to sync. This also assumes you are using DropBox.

Is this not correct? Try it and let us know, and if this works, we can turn it into a tutorial.

CONFIRMED. My instructions above work. Tried it on my PC.

Edited by Josh Bond, 23 January 2013 - 12:02 PM.
Instructions confirmed working, and are not theoretical

#6 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

The other option is to reassign the location of resources.
1) Click Options+Resources
2) Click the folder button in the lower right of the "Resource Options" dialog box.  It will be just above the right side of the Cancel button.
3) Select the folder you want to use for your resource location, such as dropbox.
4) Click OK - to select the folder
5) Click OK - to acknowledge that a restart of e-Sword is necessary
6) Click OK - to close the Resource Options dialog box
7) Close and Restart e-Sword.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

The other option is to reassign the location of resources.
1) Click Options+Resources
2) Click the folder button in the lower right of the "Resource Options" dialog box.  It will be just above the right side of the Cancel button.
3) Select the folder you want to use for your resource location, such as dropbox.
4) Click OK - to select the folder
5) Click OK - to acknowledge that a restart of e-Sword is necessary
6) Click OK - to close the Resource Options dialog box
7) Close and Restart e-Sword.

Right, Options > Resources works for resource types like Commentaries, Bibles, Dictionaries, Devotionals.

But not for Topic Notes, Journal Notes, and Study Notes. Unless you CTRL-right click each Editor window to open the topic, study, or journal module at your new location (like Drop box), e-Sword will continue using your My Documents\e-Sword folder even if you have changed Options > Resources.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Right, Options > Resources works for resource types like Commentaries, Bibles, Dictionaries, Devotionals.

But not for Topic Notes, Journal Notes, and Study Notes. Unless you CTRL-right click each Editor window to open the topic, study, or journal module at your new location (like Drop box), e-Sword will continue using your My Documents\e-Sword folder even if you have changed Options > Resources.

You are right - of course.  Changing the folder works as you say, when you Ctrl+right click.  But does the combo box at the bottom of the edit populate with files at the new location, or does the combo box just disappear?  What controls whether the combo box appears or not, is not clear to me.

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

You are right - of course.  Changing the folder works as you say, when you Ctrl+right click.  But does the combo box at the bottom of the edit populate with files at the new location, or does the combo box just disappear?  What controls whether the combo box appears or not, is not clear to me.

I'm thinking the combo box appears only for Topics?

#10 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Brent

if I'm understanding you yes  the popup window showing different topx files does show the filrs in the new location chosen by the Crtl +Right click open

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users