Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Get rid of the childish demerit stuff

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

Ok, coming across a big red "demerit" thing on my profile, just turns my stomach and makes me think this place encourages cliquishness (refering to the agree/disagree thing that in my case is negative and like a big red flag as soon as I look at my "Content".).

And, actually, in my case, it just sparks a huge amount of defiance and makes me want to do bad things like deliberately be disagreeable (not nice to put me in a position where I'm tempted to sin like that :P) Or worse, to cease participating at all (which may be the whole point and what some people would prefer.)

Truth is not a popularity contest. And whether a number of people agree or disagree, is usually irrelevent, and when it's relevent, they can use the reply feature to make their ideas known, rather than besmirching people with a childish rating system.

I already get the distinct feeling there's a large anti-Catholic vibe, which isn't conducive to the purpose of the site, presumably. Having demerits and other such negative assignments is not friendly, to say the least.

Just a suggestion. Get rid of the demerits.

Edited by rosc, 07 January 2013 - 08:53 PM.

#2 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:30 AM

BTW, by putting things in negative light (such as the "points" system and all the files attacking Catholicism) you just put people on the defensive then they return the attacks (I'm more than tempted to post a whole bunch of apologetics attacking Protestantism and its derivatives, but, if you really wanted to know these things you'd do your own research so I won't bother casting pearls :)

Point is, you won't convince intelligent people by besmirching reputations with silly points or negative attacks.

#3 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

rosc....

I've read your post with some degree of dismay. Allow me to register this "Opinion". Whether we call them "Agreements/Disagreements" or "Merits/Demerits"....they are no more or less "Opinions"...and lets be fair....we all have "Opinions"....I'm sharing mine with you right now, and you've shared yours in the Post I'm responding to. I for one wouldn't want evryone to agree with me all the time....I'm pretty sure you wouldn't either. "Disagreement is one of the measures we must use to evaluate the worth of our own "Opinions"......it is also the ingredient we use to learn and expand our own knowledge about most anything. Hopefully I've learned something of value from your "Opinions"....like perhaps when I use the Agree/Disagree" buttons....to do so with more caution in the future.

I may also add this: Please don't allow these "Opinions" to cause you to "want to do bad things like be deliberately disagreeable"....after all you did say (in your opinion) they are "usually irrelevant". Embrace all the "Opinions"...negative or positive....and learn from them.....you'll be all the better for it.

Thank You for hearing me out, my friend !

Dartmaster644

#4 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

I don't have a problem with disagreement, debate, discussion, etc. I have a problem with the childish demerit system that besmirches peoples reputation. Especially in the cowardly anonymous manner it's implemented here.

If the intention of the point system is more of a POLL, then perhaps it should be replaced with POLLS and used when appropriate.

Using it to besmirch my "reputation" because I ask a programmer to seek copyright permission for a Catholic bible, after being summarily blown off by one of the admins, just instigates a disagreement and leads me to believe this board is anti-Catholic (and not all that helpful otherwise.)

I didn't join here to be part of a clique, or enter a popularity contest, or to be attacked and besmirched. I came asking for help, and then seeking someone willing to obtain copyright permission to produce the NABRE for eSword (and was basically blown off in that request until I asked if there was someone else I could ask who might actually care to try.)

Considering I was attacked for asking for a Catholic bible, it leaves a sickening feeling in my gut and my heart that makes me want to no longer participate. If that was the intention, congratulations, you (meaning in the abstract sense "you" whoever thought up such a ridiculous "reputation" system) won.

All this system does is incite misunderstanding and bad feelings (at least for me).

Maybe I'm over-reacting and I should just not care what you people think. But, then if that's the conclusion I should draw from this experience,  it makes me wonder what this board intends to accomplish.

If the intention is to educate, you should probably get rid of the points system. Education is not a competition (or, shouldn't be.)

And a 2nd PS to my previous posts:

In my opinion, there should not be ANY negative attacking type files or system here, if you're doing the Lord's work.

Attacking ANY creed is anti-Christian. Besmirching ANY reputation is anti-Christian.

How weak is one's own faith if one feels compelled to justify themselves by attacking another creed?

#5 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

rosc

Using it to besmirch my "reputation" because I ask a programmer to seek copyright permission for a Catholic bible, after being summarily blown off by one of the admins, just instigates a disagreement and leads me to believe this board is anti-Catholic (and not all that helpful otherwise.)

there are plenty of catholic material on this site to say this site is anti catholic and it host catholic material is well wrong  its not anti catholic

the second thing is if a resource builder does not want to work on or seek permission they don't have to everyone here is a volunteer no one gets paid for running or uploading to this site

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#6 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

rosc....

I've read your post with some degree of dismay. Allow me to register this "Opinion". Whether we call them "Agreements/Disagreements" or "Merits/Demerits"....they are no more or less "Opinions"...and lets be fair....we all have "Opinions"....I'm sharing mine with you right now, and you've shared yours in the Post I'm responding to. I for one wouldn't want evryone to agree with me all the time....I'm pretty sure you wouldn't either. "Disagreement is one of the measures we must use to evaluate the worth of our own "Opinions"......it is also the ingredient we use to learn and expand our own knowledge about most anything. Hopefully I've learned something of value from your "Opinions"....like perhaps when I use the Agree/Disagree" buttons....to do so with more caution in the future.

I may also add this: Please don't allow these "Opinions" to cause you to "want to do bad things like be deliberately disagreeable"....after all you did say (in your opinion) they are "usually irrelevant". Embrace all the "Opinions"...negative or positive....and learn from them.....you'll be all the better for it.

Thank You for hearing me out, my friend !

Dartmaster644

You make valid points especially about learning from others opinions which brings me to mine

How can anyone learn from an unvoiced opinion what was disliked! what was; said the way it was said; etc.

if the opinion is not voiced then how can anyone learn from it

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#7 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

rosc....

Thank you for your response. You have much to think on....and Pray about. Along with myself.... there will be many here that will be Praying with you......as you proceed to work your way thru this dilemma. God Bless you-my friend.

Dartmaster644

#8 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:14 PM

And a 2nd PS to my previous posts:

In my opinion, there should not be ANY negative attacking type files or system here, if you're doing the Lord's work.

Attacking ANY creed is anti-Christian. Besmirching ANY reputation is anti-Christian.

How weak is one's own faith if one feels compelled to justify themselves by attacking another creed?

Many of those who write books to point out errors are those who sincerely believe there are seroius issues of belief and practice that are impacting the eternity of those who adhere to them.  Their work is generally not meant to justify their own faith (I am sure there are exceptions), but to help others examine their beiliefs. 

It is a common assertion to say that it is anti-Christian to point out error.  However, the New Testement clearly teachers and demonstrates otherwise.  The scriptures must be our final authority, not Catholic apologists, or any organization.

The apostolic authority ended in the time of "the apostles".  We must look to their writings to understand the faith once delivered to the saints.  Many of their writings arose out of the need to point out errors that had crept into the churches.

Blessings,

Peter

#9 dartmaster644

dartmaster644

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:53 PM

DSaw....

"Dislike"....is not necessarily a synonym for "Disagree". Even if we don't know why folks disagree

with us...."Disagreement" should serve to instruct us that: (1) We aren't always right,   (2) Search out and enjoy the diversity of opinions that do exist on a given subject.

Learning starts....when we realize there is more to know and understand about a given subject than

just our limited understanding of it. I must agree with you....that an honest exchange of ideas

greatly enhances the learning process. However that is not to say...that the simple clicking of an

"Agree/Disagree" button doesn't start that learning process....and motivate one to evaluate his/her own ideas.....in the greater arena of diverse thinking. 

For instance: I don't have to know or understand why J.V.McGee disagrees with John Calvin about Eternal Security.....but it should certainly motivate me to investigate the subject further.

Therein begins the learning process for me...whether I agree with either,neither or both of them.

Agree/Disagree buttons do not say someone doesn't like you....nor should that assumption

be made ....which was part of my advice to "rosc".

Two things I've learned in life is: I've learned alot from those who are in agreement with me.

I've learned perhaps as much or more from those that do not agree with me.

I hope in some small way I've addressed both of your questions. (and by the way....I've deactivated

the up and down buttons to this posting) :D....not really !!

Dartmaster644

Edited by dartmaster644, 08 January 2013 - 03:05 PM.

#10 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

I've had many tears and sorrows
I've had questions for tomorrow
There've been times I didn't know right from wrong
But in every situation
God gave blessed consolation