Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Subcategories for Ref files

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#11 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

This site has an advance search option it allows for searching of tile and content and of just topx files select  the gear icon beside the search button

when I'm browsing or schecking new downloads I use the downloads forum but  when I want to find something specific I use the search

That helps for the topx files that have tags or whose titles indicat they cover the desired area of study.  But at present there are far more files that have nothing like even minimal information.

I use the downloads forum much as you do when I am checking new downloads, but even some of the newest downloads (especially those created by specific module creators) have little if anything in the forum or download blurb page beyond the title of the module.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#12 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

What you are describing is the ability to categorize your modules within e-Sword. I know it's been presented to Rick Meyers a number of times over the years. I've provided screenshots  of how it looks in other Bible software. But that effort would have to come from e-Sword itself.

I understand that, and wasn't expecting to find that there was an easy fix (but that didn't stop me from hoping).  There are likely far more important and useful changes being worked on than this relatively minor (however annoying to our collective "inner librarians") problems.

I did suggest a sort of "markup file" addition to what ever functions to index the list of topx or refx files as a possibility, but that suggestion comes from someone with no significant knowledge of what sort of programming adding that would require.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#13 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I wasn't trying to insinuate that we did not need subcats

I was just trying to give options that are available now! that might not have been known about

Edited by DSaw, 07 January 2013 - 02:22 PM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#14 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the files on this website, not my downloads (I can easily sort those on my own.)

It's difficult to know what to search for, when I'm fairly a novice at this and don't know where to start.

The tag idea seems to be the easiest to do at the moment, if users could be able to add tags on existing files. That'd make the job easier for everyone  (assuming we don't sink to tag abuse? :)

The problem, as I said before, is that many files have no tags or descriptions. And, presumably the admins have plenty on their plates already. So, enabling a feature to allow users to add tags to files might be helpful to both users and admins (except, perhaps, the programmer who has to implement the code to enable it for us ;)

#15 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

Again, please understand I'm talking about the files on this website, not those in eSword itself.

#16 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just realized there's a website-specific subforum, if a mod would move this to the correct place if its more appropriate there (Still trying to find my way around, the view is complex :)

Edited by rosc, 07 January 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#17 billhuff2002

billhuff2002

Module Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD, USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

Like Josh said, I have been attempting to add tags and what descriptions I can find as I go through our files.  In additition, I am currently trying to verify that all  of our dowloads are tool-tipped and somewhat formatted.

If anybody finds a .topx file that is not tagged, but has a tag option for that file, please message me with that information and I will update the topx download area as I receive them and can.  I know that about 30% of our available downloads are currently not tagged, but I hope that with help this number can be greatly reduced.

In addition, I am still working on finding descriptions for a lot of our files.  This is a very time comsuming project and I will continue to work on this also.

#18 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Like Josh said, I have been attempting to add tags and what descriptions I can find as I go through our files.  In additition, I am currently trying to verify that all  of our dowloads are tool-tipped and somewhat formatted.

If anybody finds a .topx file that is not tagged, but has a tag option for that file, please message me with that information and I will update the topx download area as I receive them and can.  I know that about 30% of our available downloads are currently not tagged, but I hope that with help this number can be greatly reduced.

In addition, I am still working on finding descriptions for a lot of our files.  This is a very time comsuming project and I will continue to work on this also.

Thanks Bill - you are doing a really GREAT job too!   I've downloaded several of your updated modules, and there's been a real improvement. :)

#19 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:36 PM

Yes absolutely, thank you for all the work you do as admins (I am a sysadm by trade so I know how thankless a job it is! -- but always remember, in this line of work, No News Is Good News! :)

My suggestion would help make the job easier by allowing users to participate.

But maybe that's not a welcome suggestion.

#20 billhuff2002

billhuff2002

Module Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,895 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD, USA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

Users can add tags as they upload files themselves.  As far as the existing files are concerned, I will make my offer once again.  If you find a file missing a tag and have a suggestion, send me a message and I will update the information.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users