Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Subcategories for Ref files

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

There are 225+ pages of "Reference" modules in the files, but there are not subcategories within this huge group of files, making it difficult to browse files of interest.

Yes, there are a few "tags" that can be used, but, the majority of reference modules do not seem to have any tags. And worse, do not have any descriptions upon which to search.

Is there any plan to sort these files into categories?

Or, at least allow us to view maybe 100 at a time, instead of 10 (which after a week I've only been able to look through 250 out of 2700+ files like this.)

Having piles of resources isn't much use without sorting them into manageable nuggets :)

If you'd like, and would give me a list of the files with whatever data is on them already (names, descriptions, tags) I'd be happy to sort them out so the administrators can sub-categorize them.  Suggestions for sub-category names would be helpful too.

#2 JohnP in Alameda

JohnP in Alameda

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I am also interested in a solution to this problem.  Thanks.

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:35 AM

Attached File  custom search.JPG   54.83K   17 downloadsTry this

Edited by DSaw, 07 January 2013 - 06:41 AM.

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:42 AM

That would help find a file by its name, but not by its topic or theology or author which is what is more often the problem.

Unfortunately many of the older modules don't much (or any) information that would help sort them by anything other than title.  Even some newer modules have next no information either in the for of tag/key words or even on the download page as to just what you are getting other than the name of the module and the author of the work, though if you are familiar with other modules created by the module maker you can often guess what the theological bent of the module will be.

Is there a way to "attach" key/tag word to them so we could build up our own "reference card file" on them as we download them?

Edited by Baunllaw, 07 January 2013 - 07:44 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#5 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Yeah sorting the view doesn't solve the overwhelming problem of having to sift through 227 pages, 10 files at a time, with no subcategories :)

#6 rosc

rosc

e-Sword Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

I've been adding reviews here and there, not sure the download search thingy keys in on reviews. But I assume the google search would scrape it eventually and be able to use a review as keywords.

Giving users the ability to add tags to existing files would likely be a big help, then we can just click on tags of interest and get a good listing of files.

Someone (or several someones) is (are) going to have to go through all of the files tagging them.

I also saw on the old e-sword users forum, that when files were moved over to this site, the descriptions were not ported along. Might be useful to pick a volunteer to cut/paste the old descriptions over :)

One of the biggest problems with the Information Age is being able to efficiently locate information (sorry, my inner librarian gets all rankled over this stuff :)

#7 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

I have 233 refx files and 267 topx files in my personal e-Sword resouce library. 

At times locating a specific resource even in the files I already have is a bit daunting, being able to search for all my library resources relating to say as example Amillennial eschatology would certainly be helpful.

Edited by Baunllaw, 07 January 2013 - 09:40 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#8 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:54 AM

This site has an advance search option it allows for searching of tile and content and of just topx files select  the gear icon beside the search button

when I'm browsing or schecking new downloads I use the downloads forum but  when I want to find something specific I use the search

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

There are 225+ pages of "Reference" modules in the files, but there are not subcategories within this huge group of files, making it difficult to browse files of interest.

Yes, there are a few "tags" that can be used, but, the majority of reference modules do not seem to have any tags. And worse, do not have any descriptions upon which to search.

Is there any plan to sort these files into categories?

Or, at least allow us to view maybe 100 at a time, instead of 10 (which after a week I've only been able to look through 250 out of 2700+ files like this.)

Having piles of resources isn't much use without sorting them into manageable nuggets :)

If you'd like, and would give me a list of the files with whatever data is on them already (names, descriptions, tags) I'd be happy to sort them out so the administrators can sub-categorize them.  Suggestions for sub-category names would be helpful too.

Bill, one of our moderators, has been working on  pasting a table of contents into the file description of the topx/refx files that do not have a description. This helps the website member see what's inside a book and also help with keyword targeting for search. He's also been tagging a lot of resources. 

I'm open to subcategories. Ironically, Dr. Dave and I have been talking about about sub-categories for Commentaries. I'm not sure what the sub-categories for for topx/refx would be. I haven't looked too closely to see what the content patterns might be.

#10 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

I have 233 refx files and 267 topx files in my personal e-Sword resouce library. 

At times locating a specific resource even in the files I already have is a bit daunting, being able to search for all my library resources relating to say as example Amillennial eschatology would certainly be helpful.

What you are describing is the ability to categorize your modules within e-Sword. I know it's been presented to Rick Meyers a number of times over the years. I've provided screenshots  of how it looks in other Bible software. But that effort would have to come from e-Sword itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users