Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Louw & Nida

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

Would anyone know if the Louw & Nida Lexicon is available for esword, please? 

#2 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 29 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

I've seen this in someone elses library and it appears quite good...  or am I asking for something bad?

#3 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:04 PM

Louw-Nida Lexicon

http://www.laparola....co/louwnida.php

I know nothing more.

Michael

#4 djmarko53

djmarko53

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location64093

Posted 01 May 2019 - 04:15 PM

I have the lexicon in question, but not for e-Sword.  If it was Public Domain wouldn't

mind trying to create this for e-Sword.  Here is what the first section in the Lexicon

looks like on my end:

1 Geographical Objects and Features

A  Universe, Creation (1.1-1.4)

1.1  κόσμοςa, ου m: the universe as an ordered structure - 'cosmos, universe.' ὁ θεὸς ὁ ποιήσας τὸν κόσμον καὶ πάντα τὰ ἐν αὐτῷ 'God who made the universe and everything in it' Acts 17:24. In many languages there is no specific term for the universe. The closest equivalent may simply be 'all that exists.' In other instances one may use a phrase such as 'the world and all that is above it' or 'the sky and the earth.' The concept of the totality of the universe may be expressed in some languages only as 'everything that is on the earth and in the sky.'

1.2  αἰώνb, ῶνος m (always occurring in the plural): the universe, perhaps with some associated meaning of 'eon' or 'age' in the sense of the transitory nature of the universe (but this is doubtful in the contexts of Hebrews 1:2 and Hebrews 11:3) - 'universe.' δι ᾿ οὗ καὶ ἐποίησεν τοὺς αἰῶνας 'through whom (God) made the universe' Hebrews 1:2. In Hebrews 1:2 it may be essential in a number of languages to translate 'he is the one through whom God created everything,' though in some instances a more idiomatic and satisfactory way of rendering the meaning would involve a phrase such as '... created both the earth and the sky' or '... the heavens and the earth.'

1.3  ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ: (a more or less fixed phrase equivalent to a single lexical item) the totality of God's creation - 'heaven and earth, universe.' ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ παρελεύσονται, οἱ δὲ λόγοι μου οὐ μὴ παρελεύσονται 'heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away' Mark 13:31. There may be certain complications involved in rendering ὁ οὐρανὸς καὶ ἡ γῆ as 'heaven and earth,' since 'heaven' might be interpreted in some languages as referring only to the dwelling place of God himself. The referents in this passage are 'the sky and the earth,' in other words, all of physical existence, but not the dwelling place of God, for the latter would not be included in what is destined to pass away.

1.4  κτίσιςc, εως f: the universe as the product of God's activity in creation - 'universe, creation, what was made.' τῇ γὰρ ματαιότητι ἡ κτίσις ὑπετάγη 'for the creation was condemned to become worthless' Romans 8:20.  The meaning of κτίσιςc might very well be treated as a simple derivative of the verb κτίζω 'to create' (42.35), since the reference is to the result of God's creative act. However, in a number of contexts, the process of creation is no longer focal, and what is in focus is the total physical universe. In some languages the meaning may be best expressed as 'the world and all that is in it' or even 'everything that exists.'

#5 johanseb

johanseb

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 May 2019 - 05:01 PM

It seems quite useful...

#6 djmarko53

djmarko53

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location64093

Posted 02 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

If anyone can confirm that this Lexicon is public domain, wouldn't mind trying to 

create an e-Sword Version.  Afterall, I already have it in another commercial 

Bible Program.  If it is Public Domain, then it would be a matter of doing a lot

of Copying and Pasting into the Tooltip Editor.

#7 RevSteve

RevSteve

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 May 2019 - 02:14 PM

From: https://en.wikipedia...ohannes_P._Louw "Johannes Petrus Louw (31 December 1932 – 23 December 2011) was the editor of the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament Based on Semantic Domains (UBS, 1988, with Eugene Nida); he also developed an approach to linguistics which became known as South African Discourse Analysis." However there are websites that has its material for a specific word on demand. So I do wonder... One thing I wouldn't like is it appears the Greek words aren't in alphabetical order? I am guessing the book isn't flying off the shelf...still may have good information in it. Looks like a big tome.

#8 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 03 May 2019 - 04:44 PM

"anyone can confirm that this Lexicon is public domain."--Not public domain.  still  in copyright so you must get permission from authors.

I know nothing more about it being online.  I have it in logos & gramcord. Muhahh! :P

#9 djmarko53

djmarko53

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • Location64093

Posted 04 May 2019 - 04:08 AM

Well, I have it in Wordsearch and must admit i don't use it very much.

In WordSearch I use the Lexicon feature on a particular word and it

searches dozens of Lexicons automatically.  Wish e-Sword had such

a feature, 

#10 anh Mike

anh Mike

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  • LocationCHICAGO, IL

Posted 04 May 2019 - 05:55 AM

contact UBS about making a module.  Worse they say is $$$$$$$.$$ or get lost.  Fees are negotiable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users