Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

ToolTip NT for e-Sword Turns 1

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

POPULAR

A year ago, give or take a day or two, our friend Brent started work on ToolTip NT (also called T4), the successor to ToolTip 3. ToolTip NT is an e-Sword authoring tool, allowing anyone to make e-Sword modules. Or at least that's how it started. Now it's used well beyond e-Sword and even beyond Bible software in general.

Without ToolTip, the biggest e-Sword modules you see on this website wouldn't be here because we would have to spend our time developing tools rather than making modules. ToolTip automatically converts verse references to e-Sword format with one of the best algorithms I've ever seen. And it works backwards, converting e-Sword tooltip references to their full (normal) text for publishing material outside of e-Sword. This is a huge time saver for making verse references for e-Sword or for other publishing needs, saving countless hours.

I remember looking on eSnips once at some old version 8 modules. The module maker left some internal notes in the module, remarks to himself and others on the module's composition. He noted he had worked for months tooltipping the module (this was a several megabyte module). And that he would try to get the rest of the module tooltipped within the next year.

Now a year after the project began, T4 has evolved into a masterpiece. The most useful of T4's features include the: 

• Mass creation of database records with predefined symbols
  • Best verse tooltipping and error checking algorithm freely available to the public.
  • Recognition of Greek and Hebrew with color options for whatever publishing format you need.
  • Various options (algorithms) for converting implicit verse references to explicit references (ver. 5 to Gen. 1:5)
  • Options for chapter recognition and formatting
  • Custom Bible book abbreviation recognition
  • Reliable Roman numeral verse conversion to Arabic digits (John iii, 16 to John 3:16)
  • Insertion of paragraph numbers
  • Importing text from existing e-Sword modules, RTF, Microsoft word, etc.
  • Exporting text in PDF, HTML, Microsoft Word, etc.
  • Hyperlink and bookmark support
  • Showing every verse reference in a paragraph, page, or document.
  • Advanced study mode features for seeing the full text of verses from a verse reference
  • Too many others to list

Attached File  t4.png   150.86K   16 downloads

T4 would cost tens of thousands of dollars to develop from scratch, paying hourly programming rates. Ironically, Brent isn't a programmer. And many would consider his programming language "less than ideal" for text manipulation.

But Brent's confirms a theory I contemplated as a project manager some years ago. Programming languages rarely confine a programmer. A programmer's knowledge of his language confines a programmer (some exceptions, yes, but the larger point is true).

I've seen plenty of programmers who knew "just enough" to get by. I've seen plenty would need enormous amounts of time to "figure things out". I've seen plenty make excuses or even attack the legitimacy of a proposed feature because they could not program it easily. An inadequate command of a programming language often manifests itself as stubbornness.

Brent's command of a programming language is nearly unparalleled. In my lifetime in IT, I've only seen 3 programmers that knew their programming languages as well as Brent. Hats off to you, brother. And thank you!

Your ministry makes this ministry (and so many others) possible!

Click here to view the articles

#2 James Rice

James Rice

Moderator / Resource Builder

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

Thank you Brent!

#3 DSaw

DSaw

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 20 December 2012 - 07:10 AM

here here could not agree with you more Josh

and I'm sure every resource builder will agree also

But I just want to tress what you pointed out

WITHOUT T4 ALLOT OF THE MODULES ESPECIALLY THE MOST DOWNLOADED ONES WOULD NOT EXIST.

so not just resource builder should thankful to God for Brent all those who are edified by those modules should be

Thanks be to God for Brent and thanks to Brent for His work

May God change our hearts to what the truth is

2Ti_2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Rom_9:16 So then it is not of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.

2Ti 2:24-25  And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient, In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; 

#4 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

HAPPY BIRTHDAY T4!!!

Birthday-Cake-261x300.jpg

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#5 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:01 AM

Brent,

I do not use your program but I am grateful for it none-the-less, as I am the recipient of modules of professional quality made by those who do use it.  Thank you Brent!

Josh, thank you as well for pointing that this would be a propitious time to express my gratitude.

Ebed

Posted Image

#6 david psalms

david psalms

Resource Builder

• Moderators
  • 984 posts
  • LocationAndhra Pradesh, India

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:47 AM

Brent,

I have not made a single module without using T4. Thank u for designing this tool. without your tool most of the tasks should have been very difficult. without this i could not have done these many modules in this short period of time.

The first goal in life is to make ourselves acceptable to the LORD

#7 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:06 AM

Hi BH,

I and all of us (I know) Thank you very much for your hard work (to us it is, but to it it may not that is you have the Grace to do make this excellent five star tool that has bless thousands (the number is endless) Only when we get to Heaven, will we know.

thank you

Niobi aka Patchworkid

Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 December 2012 - 11:11 AM

Josh - wow! Thank you for your kind words. If you only knew what I don't know! T4 would not be where it is without your sharp powers of observation in finding and reproducing problems. People don't know what goes on behind the scenes. You kindly and quietly pointing out flaws privately.

I am reminded of the following scripture references (hint - copied from T4 in BB code):
Jeremiah 9:23-24 Thus said the LORD, Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, neither let the mighty man glory in his might, let not the rich man glory in his riches: 24 But let him that glories glory in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD which exercise loving kindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, said the LORD.
John 17:3 And this is life eternal, that they might know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

#9 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 22 December 2012 - 04:00 PM

Hello Brother Brent,

I want to add my thanks. I've used ToolTip for all of the modules that I've made, and I can't imagine how long it would have taken without it. Truly, ToolTip is a wonderful tool used for God's Work. Thank you for your labor of love.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users