Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

J.B. Phillips New Testament (& some OT)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anthony Grubb

Anthony Grubb

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:51 AM

In performing a search on this site, I came across a few hits that indicate the J.B. Phillips NT was definitely at one time available here. I twice came upon links to it, probably the same link,

http://www.biblesupp...englishbblxexe/

Well, as you may already know, the link no longer works, and no information comes up to explain why, but I could presume there were copyright violations and/or trouble with permissions.

According to the BibleGateway Copyright notice for J.B. Phillips NT, the work holds a 1962 copyright owned by HarperCollins (the same parent corporation that owns Zondervan, which in turn owns and operates the BibleGateway site).

Nearly the entire year of 1962 exceeds the normal 50 year limit for works to become public domain...just a couple weeks till 2013.... However, I performed another search, this time with the Library of Congress, and they mention a Macmillan copyright as late as 1972 on the work (and one by Collins (predecessor to HarperCollins) here, as well). Incidently, the information I came across on Phillips' OT work on the Library of Congress site mentions a 1963 copyright.

As you can see, I've spent the better part of 90 minutes researching this, and sourcing the material for you . . . consider it a breadcrumb trail . . . so please toss me a few crumbs back and tell me what is going on with this one. Thank you! :-)

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Hello,

We removed it because it's copyrighted.

#3 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

A work originally copyrighted in 1962 and properly renewed is under copyright for a total of 95 years. This one will be under copyright for a looooooong time.

I have a copyright flow chart available at my website. Click this link to see it.

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users