Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Scripture Tool Tips in Topx Files

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Melchizedeksean

Melchizedeksean

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I am finding that very many of the "formatted?" scripture references are not popping up when moused over. I am wondering if it is something on my end. If not, I would like to have access to the scripture tool tip tool within the reference library.

Thanks.

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:17 PM

Is the problem with all modules, or just one module? If it's all modules, it could be a configuration issue. If it's just one module, it could be a problem with that module.

Click Options from the main e-Sword menu. Then click Scripture Tooltip. Make sure that's set to Active Translation. Then in your Bible window, choose the KJV Bible. Then try the tooltip again in the Reference Library. You should see a popup.

FYI: Choosing Active Translation and the KJV Bible is just for troubleshooting, as it eliminates potential issues, such as an incomplete Bible module or Bible module with only the NT. If your Active Translation is a NT only translation, then OT scripture tooltips will do nothing (from a user friendly perspective, e-Sword should show a tooltip that says, "No translation data for Active Translation"). Setting the Active Translation to KJV also makes sure you did not earlier choose a Tooltip Translation that is no longer installed.

#3 Melchizedeksean

Melchizedeksean

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the info Josh.
I took a closer look and found that any scripture reference that has a colon at the end with no space, such as Mat 4:18: would not work. Other types of punctuation seem to be fine, like ; . or ) and }. Also, if the reference is directly followed by a letter it does not pop up. One example I noticed was written like Rom 15:4ff. I randomly sampled maybe 120 Topx files, if they were tool-tipped, most seemed ok. I don't suppose I have to tell you that about 20% are not tool-tipped at all. A good portion of Arthur Pink, Austin Sparks, Andrew Murry, John Gill, Charles Finney as well as others need so attention. I must have landed on a bad page because when I posted earlier I was reading something and it seemed like half of the tool-tipped scriptures did not work. I am unable to find it now but thought it was in one of the newest modules. Anyway, thanks for all your hard work.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

Right, those files need to be revisited. They were created before ToolTip came about. ToolTip tooltips quickly and easily, and avoids the punctuation issues that cause e-Sword not to recognize the verse. Most (every?) modern Bible software uses real RTF or HTML links.

I guess for ease of coding when e-Sword first started, probably just to get the program running in the very beginning, e-Sword looks for a book abbreviation_chapter:verse. Unfortunately, that was never changed. If it were, you could have real chapter links and link text without changing the text (helpful in situations where the original text is: Matthew 3:1, 11, 15, 18. That's changed in e-Sword to Mat_3:1; Mat_3:11; Mat_3:15; Mat 3:18. On a long string of verses, it's visually annoying.)

#5 billhuff2002

billhuff2002

Module Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts
  • LocationFrederick, MD, USA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:04 PM

I am currently visiting the older .topx files on a one-by-one basis and tool-tipping and doing any re-formatting that I can as I have the time. Once all the individual files are reviewed, I will begin to review all the files in the collections.

If you have a particular .topx that you would like done quickly, please let me know and I will do what I can for you.

#6 DoctorDaveT

DoctorDaveT

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

You're a peach, Bill.

Prior to the first public release of Brent's Scripture ToolTip Tool, nearly all .topx module builders had to manually tooltip every individual reference in their work. Every one - individually - had to be highlighted, and "ctrl-j" to turn it into a tooltip. It was a huge time investment to build a nicely formatted module. To be quite frank, we were all happy to have anything - tooltipped or not - because there were so few modules publicly available.

I was building a .topx module of Leupold's commentary on Genesis when BH got me my first copy of Tooltip. Wow! Did it speed up the work! It more than doubled my build speed - and that was before I even understood how it worked.

Today, "pump and dump"* module should be dumped right into the recycle bin. Brent's excellent tool leaves no good reason for anyone to build a poorly formatted module.

Way to go, BH! Thanks for your ministry of love! And way to go, Bill - for fixing up all those older modules built prior to the era of T4!

*"Pump and Dump" - a module built with text that is pumped up from some digital outlet like archive.org where the text was OCR'd and never corrected, and then dumped into a module shell with little or no formatting and proof reading. Fortunately, "pump and dump" is much less prevalent today due to Brent's "8th Wonder of the World."

Dave
visit www.DoctorDaveT.com for eSword modules, software tips, & more

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:11 PM

Thanks for all your hard work, BIll.

And well said, Dave.

#8 Melchizedeksean

Melchizedeksean

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

Wow, What a great response from you guys thanks for everything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users