Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Tooltip Tool Support

• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#1 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

Hi!

I think T3's author, Brent Hildebrand, is one of the members here. So, is this now the right place to look for support on T3?

I have some suggestions and some questions too.

Thanks!

Carlos

#2 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:12 PM

Hi!

I think T3's author, Brent Hildebrand, is one of the members here. So, is this now the right place to look for support on T3?

I have some suggestions and some questions too.

Thanks!

Carlos

Ask and you shall receive (an answer). It might not be the answer you want! :-)

#3 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hi Brent

Thank you for your help, and for this great tool.

I'm used to the old tools, and I'm trying to learn to use T3.

I would like to some suggestions. Maybe some of them are implemented and I just was unable to find them O:-)

- It's nice to have the interface in Spanish, and Spanish abbreviations are supported by means of an external list, but the resulting references are in English, so they're of no use for Spanish texts (e.g. 1Ki_1:10 is 1Re_1:10 in Spanish). There are official e-Sword abbreviations for several languages. It would be great if T3 could create references in those languages, or if that is too much work, if the user could customize the output abbreviations. I can provide a list of official Spanish abbreviations if needed.

- At present the user has little control over what T3 considers a Bible reference. I would like to be able to choose the separator character (1:10 or 1.10 or 1,10). It would be great if other options were configurable too, such as converting these kind of references: 1Ki 5:1-8:24. Usually I prefer not to have those activated since they don't make sense, but at this time there no way to disable them.

- Recently I prepared a commentary with the footnotes of a Catholic Bible, and there were a lot of references to Tobit, Judith, Ecclesiasticus, Maccabbees and so on, which I had to tooltip by hand. I don't mean to debate whether those books are inspired (I don't think so), but since e-Sword supports Bibles that include them, it would be good if T3 were able to recognize references to them.

I have also a question, but I think I better start a new thread. :-)

Thank you very much!

Carlos

#4 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hi all. More good information on how to make Books, Chapters, and Verses in Tool Tip Tool.

1. Click on Marks
2. Scroll down to 'Set Extra Marks', Select it.
3. ÷ = Verses, ÷÷ = Chapters, and ÷÷÷ = Books
{1 marks (÷} Verses} ; {2 marks (÷÷} Chapters ; {3 marks (÷÷÷) Books
4. Insert the 3 marks for Books where you want Books to be at. [÷÷÷Gen]
Insert the 2 marks for Chapters where you want Chapters to be at. [÷÷Gen 1]
Insert the 1 mark for Verses where you want Verse to be at. [÷Gen 1:1]

For multi-verses [÷Gen 1:1-26.
For muli-chapters (just Tool Tipping) [Gen 1:1 - Gen 2:20]

Thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#5 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:39 PM

Hi all. More good information on how to make Books, Chapters, and Verses in Tool Tip Tool.

Hi Patchworkid

Thank you for that information. I think I read that in other thread. I don't see clearly the link with my questions, but anyway it will be useful.

What you say applies to book, chapter and verse commentaries, doesn't it? I understand it doesn't apply to Bibles, does it? I thought the Bible format was limited to:
[B]
C:V
with a single mark at the beginning. You don't mean I can use any format provided I add the corresponding marks, do you?

Thanks.

Carlos

#6 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:29 PM

Hi I'm sorry but I do not make bibles with tool tip even thou you can. I use BeST2 along with my Bible Template.I was mainly talking about Cmt. Check your C:Program Files - e-Sword ToolTip folder and My Documents - e-Sword ToolTip folder In there is a lot of information on how to use Tool Tip Tool.

Thanks
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#7 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hi Brent

Thank you for your help, and for this great tool.

I'm used to the old tools, and I'm trying to learn to use T3.

I would like to some suggestions. Maybe some of them are implemented and I just was unable to find them O:-)

- It's nice to have the interface in Spanish, and Spanish abbreviations are supported by means of an external list, but the resulting references are in English, so they're of no use for Spanish texts (e.g. 1Ki_1:10 is 1Re_1:10 in Spanish). There are official e-Sword abbreviations for several languages. It would be great if T3 could create references in those languages, or if that is too much work, if the user could customize the output abbreviations. I can provide a list of official Spanish abbreviations if needed.

- At present the user has little control over what T3 considers a Bible reference. I would like to be able to choose the separator character (1:10 or 1.10 or 1,10). It would be great if other options were configurable too, such as converting these kind of references: 1Ki 5:1-8:24. Usually I prefer not to have those activated since they don't make sense, but at this time there no way to disable them.

- Recently I prepared a commentary with the footnotes of a Catholic Bible, and there were a lot of references to Tobit, Judith, Ecclesiasticus, Maccabbees and so on, which I had to tooltip by hand. I don't mean to debate whether those books are inspired (I don't think so), but since e-Sword supports Bibles that include them, it would be good if T3 were able to recognize references to them.

I have also a question, but I think I better start a new thread. :-)

Thank you very much!

Carlos

- Spanish. I do not speak Spanish, but if T3 is in Spanish mode, then the tooltips should be in Spanish, compatible with e-Sword. A Reference such as Revelation 14:6-12 in English, would be Apo_14:6-12 in Spanish. And APO would be a valid Spanish abbreviation for Revelation. AS for other languages, T3 is NOT written in Unicode, and it gets harder to implement other languages. It will support Unicode characters such as Greek and Hebrew, but natively, it is not Unicode. You will need a real programmer for that. I'm a self-taught hobbyist (and I'm not getting younger).

- Bible references. T3 will recognize Rev. 14:6-12, Revelation 14:6-12, or Rev. 14.6-12, etc. It will not work with Rev 14,6-12, or Rev. 14/6-12. All forms I've seen, but by far the most common form in the data I have converted is either a colon or period between the chapter and verse. Also, if you do not want chapters split out, then turn OFF T3v3 tooltip formatting. So, with V3 turned on, for 1Ki 5:1-8:24, you get: 1Ki_5:1-18; 1Ki_6:1-38; 1Ki_7:1-51; 1Ki_8:1-24, all of which work with e-Sword, you I know it masks the continuity of a reference some what. If it turned off, you get: 1Ki_5:1-8:24, which of course will not work in e-Sword. So you do have the choice.

- Apocrypha, you are correct, T3 does not currently work with the Apocrypha.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:38 PM

1. Click on Marks
2. Scroll down to 'Set Extra Marks', Select it.
3. ÷ = Verses, ÷÷ = Chapters, and ÷÷÷ = Books
{1 marks (÷} Verses} ; {2 marks (÷÷} Chapters ; {3 marks (÷÷÷) Books
4. Insert the 3 marks for Books where you want Books to be at. [÷÷÷Gen]
Insert the 2 marks for Chapters where you want Chapters to be at. [÷÷Gen 1]
Insert the 1 mark for Verses where you want Verse to be at. [÷Gen 1:1]

For multi-verses [÷Gen 1:1-26.
For muli-chapters (just Tool Tipping) [Gen 1:1 - Gen 2:20]

Thanks
Patchworkid

This T3 markup description is for making a commentary with T3.

#9 ebulerdo

ebulerdo

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 01:48 AM

Hi Brent

Thank you for your answer. I understand you perfectly when you say you're a self-taught hobbyist programmer. Currently I'm at the beginning of that stage. O:-)

- Spanish. I do not speak Spanish, but if T3 is in Spanish mode, then the tooltips should be in Spanish, compatible with e-Sword. A Reference such as Revelation 14:6-12 in English, would be Apo_14:6-12 in Spanish. And APO would be a valid Spanish abbreviation for Revelation.

Yes, that's what I mean. It should be Apo, but I get Rev. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The interface automatically opens in Spanish, but anyway I selected Language - Spanish. The menus are in Spanish, but if I type Revelation 14:6-12 and tooltip it, it's converted to Rev_14:6-12. Can you please check that?

- Bible references. T3 will recognize Rev. 14:6-12, Revelation 14:6-12, or Rev. 14.6-12, etc. It will not work with Rev 14,6-12, or Rev. 14/6-12. All forms I've seen, but by far the most common form in the data I have converted is either a colon or period between the chapter and verse. Also, if you do not want chapters split out, then turn OFF T3v3 tooltip formatting. So, with V3 turned on, for 1Ki 5:1-8:24, you get: 1Ki_5:1-18; 1Ki_6:1-38; 1Ki_7:1-51; 1Ki_8:1-24, all of which work with e-Sword, you I know it masks the continuity of a reference some what. If it turned off, you get: 1Ki_5:1-8:24, which of course will not work in e-Sword. So you do have the choice.

Sorry, I didn't mean it should support any character as separator, since as you say that wouldn't have any use. What I meant was to be able to select whether using a dot, a colon, or both, in order to avoid false positives. But you're right it doesn't make much sense, it was something very specific for a particular text I was working with.

On the other hand, I didn't know what the Tooltip v3 option was for. Now I know. Thanks! :-)

I have to congratulate you both for the software and the clear and very well written documentation. I've read it all, although I still have a lot of questions. O:-)

Thank you!

Carlos

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 July 2011 - 06:18 AM

Yes, that's what I mean. It should be Apo, but I get Rev. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. The interface automatically opens in Spanish, but anyway I selected Language - Spanish. The menus are in Spanish, but if I type Revelation 14:6-12 and tooltip it, it's converted to Rev_14:6-12. Can you please check that?

Which version are you using of T3?

Sorry, I didn't mean it should support any character as separator, since as you say that wouldn't have any use. What I meant was to be able to select whether using a dot, a colon, or both, in order to avoid false positives. But you're right it doesn't make much sense, it was something very specific for a particular text I was working with.

Sometimes, the Bible verse parser in T3 is to "smart". It will combine into a tooltip a reference that is not a reference. "That's the way it is. 11 different verses..." would become, "That's the way it Isa_11 defferent verses...". This is one reason to know your source material and to then edit the Abbreviation List to match your material. For example, if your source always uses Isaiah for Isaiah, and no other abbreviation, then remove ALL other Isaiah abbreviations from the list and this will prevent some false positives. I've tried to make T3 as generic as possible, but with the ability to whittle out that which you do not need for a given project. Am I making any sense?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users