Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Lange's Commentary for e-Sword

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:09 AM

Thanks Niobi, I didn't know T3 did that too, Brent's T3 just keeps on amazing me. I've yet to explore all it's uses.

You may also want to check out dolphin text editor menu:
http://www.animal-so...editor-menu.php

Add extra formatting/sorting to any text editor (e.g. Notepad, Word, Visual Studio, etc).

Here's a brief description of it

Dolphin Text Editor Menu expands the functionality of any text editor.
It doesn't replace your current text editors - it makes them better.

Dolphin Text Editor Menu works with any software where you can type sentences or paragraphs. This includes: Visual Studio; OpenOffice Writer; MS Word; GMail, Firefox; online forums; Notepad; Wordpad; HTML / PHP editors; etc. This enables you to have advanced text manipulation tools available wherever you need them.

Dolphin Text Editor Menu expands the functionality of any text editor by adding an extra menu allowing you to:

Sort text alphabetically
Reverse line order
Remove blank lines
Change text case
Remove duplicate lines
Align text
Remove HTML and BBCode tags
Remove text formatting
Plus many more...

The menu sits quietly in the system tray and only shows itself when you press the hotkey (which is initially set to Ctrl+Numpad0). If you are changing source code; editing html / php; writing a report; data cleansing; or simply making notes in notepad: Dolphin Text Editor Menu can make your life easier.

Complete list of functions
Step-by-step guide to using Dolphin Text Editor Menu
Version history
Screenshots

Dolphin Text Editor Menu can be disabled when certain applications have focus, to avoid conflicting hotkeys and each menu item can be hidden to help you easily reach the functions you use the most.

No complicated installation is required.

#22 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 July 2011 - 10:54 AM

Would you give me any Word macro to remove line breaks?

Unfortunately, I don't have a one-size-fits-all macro to remove all unwanted line breaks. I don't believe it's possible to code such because of the differences in documents.

Let me walk you through what I did for the Lange's Commentary raw text. Each document will be slightly different depending on HOW the unwanted line breaks appear in the document.

First, you'll need an understanding of Microsoft Word's Regular Expression Searching or some of this won't make sense. You'll need to enable wildcard searching in the advanced Search feature/popup of Word.

Much of text looked like:

We have already observed that we do not regard
as well grounded the dissolution of the Mosaic
code of laws from history as its basis. Moreover,
a clear carrying out of the system would show
that we could regard the origin of it only as inetinctive,
not as the conscious work of Rabbinic
design. The ten commandments, Ex. xx. 1-17,
form the introduction of this arrangement. But
the ritual law follows immediately, beginning
with a group, not of ten, but of four laws

We can't just remove all line breaks. Because then, our document would be one long paragraph with no way to tell where the paragraph breaks were.

So one very safe search/replace we can use is:

Search for: ([a-z])(^13)([a-z])
Replace with: \1 \3

This search looks for lower case text, a line break, and more lower case text. The replacement text indicates that the first parenthesis text should be reinserted, as should the third parenthesis text. The ^13, or line break, will not be reinserted. This should not remove line breaks that indicate a new paragraph because a new paragraph would start with a capital letter, a number, or something other than a lowercase letter, right?

So now, our text looks like this:

We have already observed that we do not regard as well grounded the dissolution of the Mosaic code of laws from history as its basis. Moreover,
a clear carrying out of the system would show that we could regard the origin of it only as inetinctive,
not as the conscious work of Rabbinic design. The ten commandments, Ex. xx. 1-17,
form the introduction of this arrangement. But the ritual law follows immediately, beginning with a group, not of ten, but of four laws

But, we still have some unwanted line breaks. Because we searched earlier for lower case text surrounding the line break, we're going to miss everything else. So if a line ends with a comma, or a semicolon, or a colon, or some odd formatting, the line break will remain. Many of these are easy to address with follow-up searches

This search will remove the line breaks when the end of the line is a comma:

Search: ([a-z],)(^13)([a-z])
Replace: \1 \3

Now our text looks like this:

We have already observed that we do not regard as well grounded the dissolution of the Mosaic code of laws from history as its basis. Moreover, a clear carrying out of the system would show that we could regard the origin of it only as inetinctive, not as the conscious work of Rabbinic design. The ten commandments, Ex. xx. 1-17, form the introduction of this arrangement. But the ritual law follows immediately, beginning with a group, not of ten, but of four laws

You can repeat with a semicolon, colon, and other punctuation in the document, as long as your search doesn't get so broad that it starts dismantling the line breaks used for new paragraphs.

Other documents will be different. For example, there could be a space between the last character of the line and a line break. If the document had indented paragraphs, this would so very easy. We could just remove all line breaks unless the line break is followed by an indent. Such ease rarely happens with OCR text, though.

But even after all this and similar search/replacements, there will be some "bad" line breaks that remain, especially in an OCR document. Those will need to be removed by hand, unfortunately. But in just one volume of Langes, these types of searches removed over 100,000 bad line breaks.

After the line breaks, you could do more simple searches. For example, quotation marks render as: "
You could replace that with a quotation mark " using just a normal search and replace. Various other punctuation renders similarly and needs to be corrected.

#23 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 08 July 2011 - 11:10 AM

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but where can i find a macro to convert roman numerals to normal numbers?

David Cox has a Word Macro that will very intelligently (without harming other data), convert roman numerals wherever possible. Some numerals are not possible.

http://www.davidcox....acro_romans.htm

#24 chosen

chosen

Liking e-Sword

• Members (T)
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have a one-size-fits-all macro to remove all unwanted line breaks. I don't believe it's possible to code such because of the differences in documents.

Let me walk you through what I did for the Lange's Commentary raw text. Each document will be slightly different depending on HOW the unwanted line breaks appear in the document.

First, you'll need an understanding of Microsoft Word's Regular Expression Searching or some of this won't make sense. You'll need to enable wildcard searching in the advanced Search feature/popup of Word....

After the line breaks, you could do more simple searches. For example, quotation marks render as:
"
You could replace that with a quotation mark " using just a normal search and replace. Various other punctuation renders similarly and needs to be corrected.

Thank you for answering troublesome request with kindness and patience. Great help!

#25 dyan

dyan

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

David Cox has a Word Macro that will very intelligently (without harming other data), convert roman numerals wherever possible. Some numerals are not possible.

http://www.davidcox....acro_romans.htm

Thanks Josh, I'll check out the macros at David's site

#26 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 09 July 2011 - 04:35 PM

Hi all. I would like to know if anybody would like to help (format) this commentary?

thanks for letting me know
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#27 Justin

Justin

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2011 - 06:24 PM

I will do whatever I can.
"The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life and he that winneth souls is wise." - Proverbs 11:30

#28 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 22 July 2011 - 05:20 AM

HI all. Concerning the Lang's Commentary - If you could only have the commentary; It would be in Chapters example: Gen 1:1-31. It will not be in verses. Because it is a very Huge job to put into verses. (Not the one I posted a Topic {in Word Doc}.)

What do you think about that?

thanks
Patchworkid
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#29 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:55 AM

HI all. Concerning the Lang's Commentary - If you could only have the commentary; It would be in Chapters example: Gen 1:1-31. It will not be in verses. Because it is a very Huge job to put into verses. (Not the one I posted a Topic {in Word Doc}.)

What do you think about that?

thanks
Patchworkid

A lot of e-Sword modules are this way. It's just easier. If you don't, you will get burnt out and this will never get done. So in Tooltip, you would have something like this:

÷Gen 1:1-31
Commentary for all 31 verses of chapter 1.

÷Gen 2:1-25
Commentary for all 25 verses of chapter 2.

I think that's fine. If someone wanted to go wild later and break it up, they could.

#30 rafaelnycollas

rafaelnycollas

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:32 PM

olá minha amada!a a paz !sou irmaoa rafael gomes ,cogrego aqui no brasil na asembleia de deus,que deus possa te abençoar e que voçe possa conseguir postar o material de lange,um forte abraço a todos os seguidores,esse site aqui no brasil para min é um grande porta aberta por deus, para o conhecimento da palavra .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users