Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Trojan Agent in *.exe files

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cjbaird

cjbaird

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

I've been a member of BibleSupport for nearly a year, and I have downloaded nearly 100 *.exe files as well as numerous nonexecutable files (e.g.- *.TOPX, CMTX, etc.) - i.e. this is a great site and I've recommended it to a number of friends.

But, for the first time today, SUPERAntiSpyware (a program I've used for years) tagged 4 *.exe files that I downloaded on two separate occasions from BibleSupport (but have not yet installed) as containing the Gen-VB Trogen.Agent.

The files (the names of which I edited to reflect the name of the authors for easier indexing) are -

Bounds, EM [Edward McKendree] - Bio -The mighty prayer warrior_topx.exe
Bounds, EM [Edward McKendree] - Prayer-Takes In the Whole Man_topx.exe
Evans, William - Outline Study of the Bible.exe, and
IAV - Israeli Authorized Version Commentary cmtx.exe

Hopefully this is a "false positive" and there is nothing wrong. SUPERAntiSpyware has reported an occasional false positive in the past on older programs (e.g.- a circa 2001 cardiovascular risk program from NIH).

Has anyone else reported a similar experience?

Yours in Christ,

CJ Baird

NOTE: I tried to upload the files in question but was told "You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file".

#2 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:23 PM

A few things,

Who uploaded the files, just curious...?

Did you also use other tools like a good antivirus tool, and Malwarebytes, and, results...?

Did you also get a hit from - https://www.virustotal.com/ - when you had the suspect files scanned...?

There are nasty files out there true, and just as many false-positives :)
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#3 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:27 PM

Norton's does not detect any of these files.

But there's lots of talk about SuperAntiSpyware + Gen-VB Trogen.Agent + false positives.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&safe=off&spell=1&q=trojan.agent/gen-cdesc+superantispyware+false+positive

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 15 October 2012 - 03:31 PM

And here's proof of the false positive:

Attached File  false-positive.png   98.68K   21 downloads

#5 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 15 October 2012 - 06:44 PM

Nice to see it was only a false-positive, and kudos to the OP for reporting it regardless.

We should be scanning every download from the interwebs :) before installing or extracting to our system, as well, have a few alternative tools at our disposal, and regularly (at least weekly) update the definitions.

It wouldn't hurt to have VirusTotal in our browser's bookmarks as one more option.

Of course, this seems unwarranted when we've been so fortunate (???) while surfing the AlGorian Super Highway, but - once we encounter our first seriously destructive virus, malware... that destroys files and forces a reinstallation of the OS - then we'll kick our backside for not being proactive.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users