Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Esword update

12 replies to this topic

#1 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

Seems like we must be about due for an update to Esword? Anyone aware of an impending release?
I saw the Ipad version just came out.. anyone using that?

Mj

#2 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 14 October 2012 - 08:34 PM

Seems like we must be about due for an update to Esword? Anyone aware of an impending release?

There probably is but no one is going to say anything about it because it would be under wraps. The only ones will know anything about it are the Beta testers, and you can guarantee they're not going to say anything.

On the side, I would love to be a Beta tester.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#3 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:30 AM

I suspect it will be some time:

1. The e-Sword development team is rather small.

2. They are in the process of releasing a major, new product for the i-Pad.

3. No matter how well the beta testers do their job, the real end users are going to find bugs which need immediate attention.

4. I suspect another new product is on the way.

All of this takes time, so my guess the next update to e-Sword is a good while away.
Posted Image

#4 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:32 PM

I suspect it will be some time:

1. The e-Sword development team is rather small.

2. They are in the process of releasing a major, new product for the i-Pad.

3. No matter how well the beta testers do their job, the real end users are going to find bugs which need immediate attention.

4. I suspect another new product is on the way.

All of this takes time, so my guess the next update to e-Sword is a good while away.

Good point. I understand the Ipad version is out. Perhaps there will be and Android based version released. Android does hold the market share as far as I know.

#5 MJ_

MJ_

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts
  • LocationCyberspace

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:33 PM

There probably is but no one is going to say anything about it because it would be under wraps. The only ones will know anything about it are the Beta testers, and you can guarantee they're not going to say anything.

On the side, I would love to be a Beta tester.

Blessings,

Beta testing sounds like fun! I agree! I love new features!

#6 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:56 PM

I don't believe any new version of PC e-Sword is pending. Rick hasn't asked for the manual to be updated, which is usually prior to any official release.

He has spent quite a bit of time learning to program in Objective C for the iPad and then actually creating e-Sword HD. He hasn't said so specifically, but I think this development cycle went into e-Sword HD and not into the PC version.

#7 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 11:01 PM

Good point. I understand the Ipad version is out. Perhaps there will be and Android based version released. Android does hold the market share as far as I know.

I suspect that the next new product will be for the iPhone, because the coding is quite similar to the iPad. After that, then Android based e-Sword product(s). Depending on how Windows 8 is received/accepted over the next year or so, then maybe a new Windows based product. Rick is going to be as busy as a grasshopper in a preschool playground for the next little while.
Posted Image

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:18 AM

I suspect that the next new product will be for the iPhone, because the coding is quite similar to the iPad. 

iPad, then iPhone, the Mac OS X.  (The same code base can be used for all three.)

There are two or three IDEs for iOS and Mac OS X, that will generate workable code for Android. If Rick is using one of them, then e-Sword for Android is not out of the question.

The Android developer's nightmare is support. The only way to ensure that a program runs on a specific device properly, is to test it on that device. (It is not uncommon for the updates to the installed apps I have, to be not supported, and, as often as not, uninstallable on my Xoom.) Simply to keep up with released Android devices, requires a monthly budget in the neighbourhood of US$10K. By way of contrast, all of the iOS devices that have been publicly released, can be purchased, in working condition, used, for under US$10K.

Depending on how Windows 8 is received/accepted over the next year or so, then maybe a new Windows based product.

Windows 9: If:
* Microsoft lasts until it is released;
* is released on schedule;
* contains all currently announced features;
* contains all currently announced components;
* works as currently advertised;
Then e-Sword on your desktop, laptop, game console, and mobile device is extremly probably. The kicker being whether or not it will be allowed in the Windows 9 application store.

However, Microsoft has never:
* released an OS on schedule;
* included all announced features in the OS release;
* included all announced components in the OS releas;

###

e-Sword Live! is getting long of tooth. A makeover here is long overdue, if it is to remain competitative in the web based Biblical software market.

Revamping includes:
* Rename existing "Topics" to "Cross-references";
* Add "Daily Devotions";
* Add "Prayer List";
* Allow for user created notes;
* Incorporate maps of places, and trips;
* Redoing the site using HTML 5.0, and related technologies;

###

Much as I would like to see e-Sword as a native Linux program, I doubt Rick will do that, unless it is as a "personal cloud" program. Something that one runs on one's private cloud. A migration, so to speak, of e-Sword Live!, from a corporate LAMP server to personal LAMP servers.

jonathon

#9 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:27 AM

I'm looking forward to using e-Sword (for the PC) on the Windows 8 tablets. The next update for (PC) e-Sword will be to make e-Sword compliant with Windows 8.

Posted Image
After they come down in price, of course. :) They're way more expensive than an iPad or Droid pad. :(

http://www.zdnet.com...oad-7000005926/

#10 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 17 October 2012 - 04:38 PM

I'm looking forward to using e-Sword (for the PC) on the Windows 8 tablets. The next update for (PC) e-Sword will be to make e-Sword compliant with Windows 8.

After they come down in price, of course. :) They're way more expensive than an iPad or Droid pad. :(

http://www.zdnet.com...oad-7000005926/

Hi Josh,
A real problem with the way that MS is going with Windows 8 will be Closed Distribution (http://www.gamasutra...feature/179420/) All applications for it will only be able to go through MS App Store, and can only be put there on approval. Microsoft also reserves the right to remove any app for little or no reason if they want to, and so from my perspective as a Software developer, this will be a huge kick in the guts for many programmers, Software Designers, Developers, and Engineers. If that is the case, then also this could affect e-Sword big time, and as such I am really concerned about it.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users