Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Program Hangs PC

5 replies to this topic

#1 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:27 PM

Blessings to all.

After I start E-sword 10 in Windows 7 the program comes up fine and shows the modules I have. However, if I were to click on any item in the dictionaries section, I get the "I'm working on it" revolving circle which goes on and on and hangs the whole PC. I have uninstalled and reinstalled e-sword twice but same problem. The modules I have are attached.

I am running a Dell laptop with Intel core i3 2.2 Ghz, 4 Gb of memory.

Sure could use some assistance.

Thanks in advance.

Lew

Attached Files

#2 exscentric

exscentric

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 02:55 PM

Doesn't look like you have much installed but if you have a lot of modules this can happen though normally on my units it is only seconds not minutes. If the small window on the right of the dictionary section is open that slows the dictionary feature down significantly. There is a hot key to open and close that (search) window though I don't remember what it is.  There is a manual on this site, you could download and look if you are in a hurry, or someone should post that knows and they may have better ideas than mine anyway :-)

I have a 1.6 ghz netbook and it usually comes up in 10-15 seconds after I change dictionaries.

#3 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 October 2012 - 03:59 PM

This is a shot in the dark, but this might be it. Install eSword as the Administrator and try things again. I'm using Windows 7 and know that it is picky on permissions. I hope this helps you.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#4 Mike_S

Mike_S

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationcRaZyToWn

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

If in fact it is the populating of the dictionary topics list that is causing the problem, Ctrl+T will enable / disable (show / hide) the list. You will need to do this for each dictionary that is enabled. See The Dictionaries Window pg. 166. Also, 'disabled' is best for slow opening / poorly performing dictionaries - pg. 167...?

F1 to open e-Sword User Guide - go here Download e-Sword User Guide if you need to get it.

Also, pg. 18 for other 'common task' hotkeys (shortcuts).

HTH :)
2 Timothy 3:16-17
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

#5 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 14 October 2012 - 07:28 PM

e-Sword will sometimes hang-up when if you're using version 10.x but not version 10.1. I noticed with Lange's commentary, some versions 10, before 10.1 will cause the e-Sword to hang.

#6 lewiej

lewiej

e-Sword Addict

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:29 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I uninstalled and reinstalled as Admin. Before I did I moved all the modules to a temp folder to see if indeed the issue was in the modules. On restart I clicked on a verse in the Bible to make it the selected verse and guess what.....the program hung up again. So, it cannot be the modules since they are not in e-Sword.

Got me......in all the many years I have been using this program I have never had in issue. Is thee a way to install an older version?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Lew

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users