Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

e-Sword on iPad

134 replies to this topic

#1 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:22 PM

I am excited and most pleased. I just received the following pop-up on e-sword:

e-Sword HD for the iPad

Coming on October 15th!
Posted Image
e-Sword — the world's most popular Bible study software is now available on the world's most advanced mobile operating system! e-Sword HD is feature rich and user friendly. As your library grows you will appreciate the intuitive layout and synchronization of resources. e-Sword HD is so easy to use you may never need to tap on the Help button!
For more information visit e-Sword HD.
Posted Image

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 10 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Yep, this is going to be awesome. Hence my new found love for the iPad. :) Rick coded this app himself for the iPad.

Right now, you will only be able to use the official e-Sword resources with the iPad. You cannot use user-generated modules because of how tightly Apple locks down the operating system. One of the programmers might have a way around this, effectively hacking the "sandbox" that the iPad uses. I suspect you could add your own modules if you jailbroke the iPad. Also, Rick implied there's some flexibility with me placing some modules inside his download system for the iPad.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out, but when it's released, you will only be able to use official resources with the iPad.

The modules will be sqlite, but they will not be RTF based. Instead, they are HTML based. So it will take some time for us to learn to convert resources to the iPad format, as well as figure out a way to get user made modules into the e-Sword sandbox.

#3 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 01:59 PM

Sorry

Edited by LarryG, 06 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#4 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:24 PM

No, because they are Droid based.

#5 LarryG

LarryG

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 02:39 PM

Sorry

Edited by LarryG, 06 November 2012 - 06:31 AM.

#6 journey

journey

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 10 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yep, this is going to be awesome. Hence my new found love for the iPad. :) Rick coded this app himself for the iPad.

Right now, you will only be able to use the official e-Sword resources with the iPad. You cannot use user-generated modules because of how tightly Apple locks down the operating system. One of the programmers might have a way around this, effectively hacking the "sandbox" that the iPad uses. I suspect you could add your own modules if you jailbroke the iPad. Also, Rick implied there's some flexibility with me placing some modules inside his download system for the iPad.

We'll just have to see how it all pans out, but when it's released, you will only be able to use official resources with the iPad.

The modules will be sqlite, but they will not be RTF based. Instead, they are HTML based. So it will take some time for us to learn to convert resources to the iPad format, as well as figure out a way to get user made modules into the e-Sword sandbox.

I don't have an Ipad, but my son does. I'm going to try and talk him into installing eSword on it. Your post brought up a question that I've been wanting to ask for a long time. There are many outstanding user-made modules that are polished to the extent that they are as good as or better than Rick's official modules. I don't understand why Rick doesn't apopt some of the best ones and make them official - unless downloading bandwidth is a problem for him. I seriously doubt that any module-maker would object to their work being adopted as official.

Philippians 4:6-7 (KJV)
6 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. 7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

#7 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:27 PM

There are many outstanding user-made modules that are polished to the extent that they are as good as or better than Rick's official modules. I don't understand why Rick doesn't adopt some of the best ones and make them official

A very long time ago Rick offered user created resources on e-Sword.net.
Unfortunately, he ran into a couple of issues that didn't endear him to publishers. However, that was a long time ago, and things have changed considerably.

The simplest/easiest way to select which resources get migrated to e-Sword.net, is to add the resources that average 1,000 downloads per month, over twelve to eighteen months. Those resources should be the best made, and conform to the theological outlook that Rick uses when selecting what content is suitable for conversion to e-Sword.

jonathon

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

I suspect you could add your own modules if you jailbroke the iPad.

The only way to do anything useful on an iPad, is to jailbreak it.

The modules will be sqlite, but they will not be RTF based. Instead, they are HTML based.

I wonder if that means that e-Sword 10.2.x, or higher will use HTML, either in parrallel with, or instead of RTF.

jonathon

#9 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 10 October 2012 - 08:54 PM

I am excited and most pleased. I just received the following pop-up on e-sword:

e-Sword HD for the iPad

Coming on October 15th!
Posted Image
e-Sword — the world's most popular Bible study software is now available on the world's most advanced mobile operating system! e-Sword HD is feature rich and user friendly. As your library grows you will appreciate the intuitive layout and synchronization of resources. e-Sword HD is so easy to use you may never need to tap on the Help button!
For more information visit e-Sword HD.

Had a look at the website, and the screenshots of it, and I gotta admit, its looks quite nice.

Next step... get one going for Android Tablets/Notes. YEAH!!! Woohoo!!!.

Blessings,
Autograph.png

Edited by APsit190, 10 October 2012 - 08:57 PM.

X (formerly Twitter)

#10 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:36 AM

The IPAD app looks good. Many will be blessed by this.

However, I suspect that a large percentage of the e sword user base do not own IPAD's. I could be wrong about that. This news may encourage some to buy IPAD's. A higher percentage probably own Iphone's.

For me personally, I need a software that allows user made content. The vast majority of content that I use in Bible study is made by other users or by myself. Josh, BH, and others have made this possible because of the tools they have developed.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users