Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

e-Sword on iPad

134 replies to this topic

#11 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:37 AM

Do most tablets and notes have enough memory and other resources to run e-Sword (especially with the module load many of us carry)? I have used pocket e-Sword.with my Palm Treo, but the speed tends towards clunk with some of the larger modules.

Does this also now mean that e-sword HD will run on all apple devices without work-a-rounds like Wine?

Edited by Baunllaw, 11 October 2012 - 10:39 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#12 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:41 AM

Do most tablets and notes have enough memory and other resources to run e-Sword (especially with the module load many of us carry)? I have used pocket e-Sword.with my Palm Treo, but the speed tends towards clunk with some of the larger modules.

Does this also now mean that e-sword HD will run on all apple devices without work-a-rounds like Wine?

I run MySword on android smart phones and tablets with 5-6 GB's of modules installed. MySword is very fast even with the largest of modules. I cannot imagine that e sword will have any issues with IPAD.

#13 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:24 PM

However, I suspect that a large percentage of the e sword user base do not own IPAD's.

Either Motorola or Samsung has filed a lawsuit with the ITC, to ban the import of virtually all iPhone and iPad devices, due to patent violations.

This news may encourage some to buy IPAD's.

In the Apple v Samsung court case in California, Apple all but said outright that the Samsung Galaxy Tab was better designed, more functional, and more useful for users, the the iPad.

For me personally, I need a software that allows user made content.

Then you want an OS, and applications, that are licenced under the GNU GPL 2.0, GNU GPL 3.0, or a license that is compatible with those licenses.

jonathon

#14 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

In the Apple v Samsung court case in California, Apple all but said outright that the Samsung Galaxy Tab was better designed, more functional, and more useful for users, the the iPad.

My tablet is a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab II and I love it. You can get so many really good tablets for around $200 now in the 7" size range.

I am not sure where the IPad mini is going to be priced or if e sword will run on the IPad mini?

This news is great for those who like Apple products in the few countries that have IPAD's. The IPAD does not have many good Bible study offerings, so this will be a good step in the right direction.

For those of us who like the flexibility of android and the price of the products, this news does not impact us much. You either love or hate Apple it seems :).

#15 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:53 PM

I wonder if that means that e-Sword 10.2.x, or higher will use HTML, either in parrallel with, or instead of RTF.

jonathon

Rick said he tried to stay with RTF but Apple's iPad lacked a sufficient RTF engine to display the RTF text. He found a way to render and parse RTF, but then the iPad was very slow. So he changed to HTML because he had a suitable parsing engine and the speed is blazing fast.

So I don't think he's changing e-Sword for the pc, since he only changed direction on the iPad because he could not implement RTF easily on that platform.

#16 BaptizedBeliever

BaptizedBeliever

Christian

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm sure this is good news for those who have iPads. However, until there is a way of adding third-party modules, I'm not going to get too excited. I have found that I use the "unofficial" modules WAY more than the official ones.

As far as converting current modules (rtf) to the iPad-e-Sword format (html), I'm sure it would take a bit of tweaking to get it just right, but doesn't MS Word save as html? So (correct me if I am wrong), couldn't we just open the source rtf file in MS Word, and save it as html and then convert it to the sqlite format?

-Brad (the "I can do it, but don't ask me to explain how it works" guy)

#17 Fireandsalt

Fireandsalt

e-Sword Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:19 PM

No. iPad apps are made using a different SDK, although the code being written in Objective-C could probably be converted with a little effort by Rick. e-Sword works pretty well using Wine though. Hope he makes an iPhone compatible version next.

I'm ok with having mySword on my Android device (Kindle Fire without the need of a specific e-Sword version).

#18 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:49 PM

So I don't think he's changing e-Sword for the pc, since he only changed direction on the iPad because he could not implement RTF easily on that platform.

However, changing to HTML for PC would solve various technical issues/bugs that RTF presents.

jonathon

#19 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 09:28 PM

A couple of other thoughts:

I am guessing that e sword will probably get new users from owners of IPads who do not use e sword on a computer, but who are looking for good Bible study apps for their IPad.

Also, I am also guessing that the vast majority of e sword users do not use anything but the official modules, so the user made module limitation will only be an issue for a small percentage of the e sword user population.

Peter

#20 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 12 October 2012 - 12:31 AM

Hi Pete,
There I agree with you, and I tend to think that this is something that will cause major problems because Apple only accepts stuff that goes through their store. Sites like this and similar will find it difficult to have resources to be able downloaded on an iPad.

And its here is where Android Tablets really hits it home. Although there is Google Play, its not so tight as the Apple Store is, and one is able to download even from here to their Android device, whether is a Cellphone of a Tablet for MySword.

Considering that Rick has gone to the extent of producing e-Sword for iPad, I'm really hoping that he will go that little extra, and have one going for an Android Tablet. This will give me the excuse to go and buy me the Samsung Galaxy Note 10. Wanna see what that baby can do. ;) :D

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users