Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

e-Sword on iPad

134 replies to this topic

#101 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

Are you downloads compatible with iPad without having to add any special software?

No, the downloads on this website work with e-Sword for the PC. You must download e-Sword HD resources through the internal e-Sword HD downloader. Modules not in the downloader are not yet available for the HD version.

#102 Alardiado

Alardiado

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

I dont mind all the commentaries not being available. The part I dont like is not being allowed to make and install my own modules. I should not have to ask Rick if I can study my Bible my way.

Mysword is still the only mobile solution. There should not be a gatekeeper to what modules I can study on MY computer or ipad or whatever.

#103 patchworkid

patchworkid

Resource Builder

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • LocationOld England

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

hi all,

Please understand It is not Rick who is restricting adding modules BUT it is Apple (iPad) And try to understand that before e-Sword HD for iPad there was not a good Bible software until e-Sword HD

Again if you want to add your own or more modules, you will have to go with Android (MySword)

thanks and be patient (Pray as David Psalms said)
Merismos the Scriptures with Patchworkid's Study Bible Set<p>http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/, MySword -http://www.biblesupp...tudy-bible-set/

#104 pfpeller

pfpeller

• Moderators
  • 1,112 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:49 PM

hi all,

Please understand It is not Rick who is restricting adding modules BUT it is Apple (iPad) And try to understand that before e-Sword HD for iPad there was not a good Bible software until e-Sword HD

Again if you want to add your own or more modules, you will have to go with Android (MySword)

thanks and be patient (Pray as David Psalms said)

This is a trade off. You cannot use your premium e sword modules with MySword. So it depends on what content you use the most.

I am not an apple fan, so it is an easy decision for me. However, for those who like e sword and apple this is a very good news even if it is limited.

Blessings,
Peter

#105 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Before anyone get's too bent out of shape, understand that there's not yet a module creation tool for e-Sword HD. Brent's working on that part as he has time. So without the ability to make modules, you can't install them anyway. :)

As for the Apple or Rick not letting you install modules--that's not really true. You are free to make your own HD modules and you can install them on your iPad. But Rick asked me not to publish (or let others publish) how to install the modules and not to publish how the modules are constructed. But, you don't need me--you are free to do it on your own (if you have the technical skills). Rick says he doesn't want the e-Sword HD user manually copying the modules into the iPad, out of fear the user will delete or "mess up" something.

Bottom line: if you have an Android device and want to make your own mobile modules, or convert modules on this website into a mobile format, MySword is the only mobile app that currently permits that kind of freedom. If that's not important to you and you have an iPad, e-Sword HD makes sense.

If you have an issue with e-Sword HD, taking it up with Rick directly is probably the best idea. I wish e-Sword HD were more open like MySword and I wish e-Sword HD were more community driven like e-Sword for the PC. But it's not right now so all you can do is use HD despite that or use MySword.

#106 APsit190

APsit190

e-Sword Tools Developer

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,868 posts
  • LocationLand of the Long White Cloud (AKA New Zealand)

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:48 PM

I agree, the closed format of e-Sword HD makes it unattractive for many of our users. A number of people have told me that privately, including my own moderators. I see their point and largely agree. After all, this website is about adding functionality to e-Sword. And e-Sword HD is intentionally closed to that, at least with the freedom that traditional e-Sword users have experienced. Most e-Sword users, though, only use what's available for download within e-Sword. And the closed format will work fine for them because they don't need anything more.

Hi Josh,
Strewth mate, that is some harsh stuff coming from your Mods, bro. Wooo, who would have thought of that happening?!

I remember you mentioning something about iPad having about 65% of the Tablet market and Android about 25% or something. Actually as far as Android verses iOS is concerned, they actually outstrip Apple by a long shot with regards to new Android users. I can't remember the figures, but I think (and I could be wrong) its something like in the vicinity of about 365,000 new Android users per month against Apple's 80 odd thousand new iOS users. This is combining both Smartphones and Tablets. Samsung being the world leaders in the Android market were they have well over 50% (just don't remember the stats) of the Android market, and the rest are divide up amongst the rest of the Android based products.

Actually, just on a side note, Samsung has invested heavily in the Linux technology field (which includes Android), and their Smart TVs runs a variation of Android/Linux.

So, when looking at these kind of things, mate, if I were in Rick's shoes, I'd be seriously looking at more alternatives other than just iOS. O, yeah! BTW, Sony is pretty much doing the same thing as well, but a lot less than Samsung.

Blessings,
Autograph.png
X (formerly Twitter)

#107 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:54 AM

I don't know that I've ever said Apple beats Android in activations or market share. :)

Android has 1.3 million new device activations per day. The sheer size of the Android user base is one reason MySword has such a large following, even though it lacks premium content. Apple has 515,000 activations per day.

It's the PC vs Mac desktop computer war all over again, in a sense.

My kids and wife use an iPad. I use a Samsung droid phone.

#108 Gilli

Gilli

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

If you look at pocketsword for iphone or ipad you see that there is no problem to develop an easy way with Wifi and browser to load your own modules. I think Rick will also choose this way when there is an easy tool available to convert modules

#109 Jeepster

Jeepster

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 06:57 AM

A quick note to say I have used nearly all of the available Bible apps on two different iPads (1 and 3). I was forced to use more than one to study properly as not one of the others offered everything in one package. I had somewhat settled on Olive Tree, but since their modules were very expensive, I only had a one commentary. So, the iPad had the Bible, but no other tool to study. There was a distinct feeling of inadequacy.

I gladly paid the $5 for e-SwordHD the day after it arrived. Since that time I have removed all the other apps and settled entirely on e-SwordHD. It is fast. The popups are clean and useful, and attractive with dropshadows that make it easy to read. The fact that I have currently 14 commentaries, including some I paid for years ago, make e-SwordHD as useful as the full-sized s-Sword. The formatting of comments and dictionary entries is finely polished, with bolded titles and tooltips that work fast.

I was a Pocket e-Sword user for years, and now e-SwordHD has replaced that as the travel companion for true Bible study.

It is all here: Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, Editor, Bible Reading Plans, Devotionals.Very smooth operation. No hestitations. No bugs found. Simple setup with multiple screen adjustments for any reading comfort. No hassles. No out of pocket budget-killing commentaries that are freely available in the desktop version. The modules that are available for cost are the same as the desktop, so when you buy one, you buy them for all.

Now, with the addition of the User Group modules, there is nothing else needed. Let the coding begin.

This is the Bible app the iPad was waiting for. My iPad just increased in value exponentially, for $5.

#110 Jim Nixon

Jim Nixon

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationFort Payne, Alabama

Posted 07 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

A quick note to say I have used nearly all of the available Bible apps on two different iPads (1 and 3). I was forced to use more than one to study properly as not one of the others offered everything in one package. I had somewhat settled on Olive Tree, but since their modules were very expensive, I only had a one commentary. So, the iPad had the Bible, but no other tool to study. There was a distinct feeling of inadequacy.

I gladly paid the $5 for e-SwordHD the day after it arrived. Since that time I have removed all the other apps and settled entirely on e-SwordHD. It is fast. The popups are clean and useful, and attractive with dropshadows that make it easy to read. The fact that I have currently 14 commentaries, including some I paid for years ago, make e-SwordHD as useful as the full-sized s-Sword. The formatting of comments and dictionary entries is finely polished, with bolded titles and tooltips that work fast.

I was a Pocket e-Sword user for years, and now e-SwordHD has replaced that as the travel companion for true Bible study.

It is all here: Bibles, Commentaries, Dictionaries, Editor, Bible Reading Plans, Devotionals.Very smooth operation. No hestitations. No bugs found. Simple setup with multiple screen adjustments for any reading comfort. No hassles. No out of pocket budget-killing commentaries that are freely available in the desktop version. The modules that are available for cost are the same as the desktop, so when you buy one, you buy them for all.

Now, with the addition of the User Group modules, there is nothing else needed. Let the coding begin.

This is the Bible app the iPad was waiting for. My iPad just increased in value exponentially, for $5.

I agree 100% with Jeepster.
I just cannot understand the complaints. Using eSword HD is like buying a car, if you want a Toyota buy one, if you want a Chevy buy one. But the buyer has no right to tell either manufacture how to build the car. Buy the one you want.

I repeat what I posted earlier. It is Rick's program, he can do with it as he pleases.
I love it. It is perfect for what I want.
Jos 24:15 And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users