Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Print verse text for references

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:11 PM

How would I pull in scriptures (text) if all I have are the references? When printing multiple references (dozens and sometimes over a hundred) that are in e-Sword I would like for others to have the text. If this is possible how would I also define the Bible version? I don't see a way to do this with ToolTip NT.

#2 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 05 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

I will continue to do this the "long" way with cut & paste. If I come up with a way to automate this I'll post it.

#3 sbs8331

sbs8331

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:25 AM

As one who has owned a Companion Bible for many years and has appreciated E. W. Bullinger's scholarship and love for the Word (though I don't subscribe to his brand of dispensationalism), I'm very grateful that the Companion Bible's appendices and notes have been made available via e-Sword. One portion of the notes that I would like to see incorporated into e-Sword is the outlines (structures) that Bullinger included in the margins. He believed, rightly or wrongly, that the arrangement of the text as shown in the structures were an evidence of its inspiration. From his forward: "<The structures> give, not a mere Analysis evolved from the Text by human ingenuity, but a Symmetrical Exhibition of the Word itself, which may be discerend by the humblest reader of the Sacred Text, and seen to be one of the most important evidences of the Divine Inspiration of its words." I would live to see this somehow included in e-Sword.

It would also be great to see Bullinger's outstanding and helpful Greek Lexicon made available via e-Sword as well, though this might be hindered by its not being tied to Strong's numbering system.

Thanks.

#4 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • LocationDes Moines Iowa

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:31 AM

How would I pull in scriptures (text) if all I have are the references? When printing multiple references (dozens and sometimes over a hundred) that are in e-Sword I would like for others to have the text. If this is possible how would I also define the Bible version? I don't see a way to do this with ToolTip NT.

For the first question it depends on what criteria you are using to select your references. For example if you are doing a word study of verses where the word love was used for in the Gospels but wanted to restrict it to the agape/agopao as opposed to Phileo it is relatively simple. Simply do the search in a translation that includes Strong's numbers, select the portion of scripture you want to search, hit the search icon and locate all instances of love that are not G25 or G26.

Make list of the references that are not G25 or G26, then select the copy search results icon from the tool bar (second to the left from the start search icon).

Now you need to switch to the translation you want at least most of the references printed in, and go to Bibles in the main window toolbar (not the icon to select the window you want to display) and select Verse list.

This will give you the verses from the search in the translation you selected hit copy search results, then paste it to the word processor of your choice. If there are any references you want to have in a different translation, you will need to do a cut and paste for those individually.

Probably not the most elegant way to do it but it has worked for me in the past.

Edited by Baunllaw, 06 August 2012 - 06:35 AM.

Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#5 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:46 AM

On the other hand if all you have is a list of references that aren't tied to a word study, select the translation you want the verses printed in, go to Bible Verse list hit add, name the list then hit the add icon to the right of the verses in list window (a green sphere with a plus sign in it) and enter the reference (it is finicky about format use the full reference name example 1 John 5:7 not 1 Jn 5:7), repeat as needed to get all verses into the list then hit print.
Thus says the LORD, "Let not a wise man boast of his wisdom, and let not the mighty man boast of his might, let not a rich man boast of his riches; but let him who boasts boast of this, that he understands and knows Me, (Jeremiah 9:23-24a)

"Defenders of the faith are inclined to be bitter until they learn to walk in the light of the Lord. When you have learned to walk in the light of the Lord, bitterness and contention are impossible." --Oswald Chambers, in Biblical Psychology from The Quotable Oswald Chambers.

#6 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 August 2012 - 08:08 AM

@Baunllaw
Thanks for the insight. This will work for the many of the verse references that I have. The Verse List feature does has the limitation of only allowing references that don't cross chapter boundaries. I shouldn't have to change tje format of any of the references as they are full references. Making the adjustment for chapter boundaries will be much quicker than copy & pasting which should suffice for now.

@sbs8331
Perhaps you have posted on the wrong topic.

Edited by mikecindi, 06 August 2012 - 08:10 AM.

#7 Tim Butterfield

Tim Butterfield

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 06 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

@Baunllaw
Thanks for the insight. This will work for the many of the verse references that I have. The Verse List feature does has the limitation of only allowing references that don't cross chapter boundaries. I shouldn't have to change tje format of any of the references as they are full references. Making the adjustment for chapter boundaries will be much quicker than copy & pasting which should suffice for now.

@sbs8331
Perhaps you have posted on the wrong topic.

I use Microsoft Word when I do my writing, there are macros available for that (as well as a few others though I can't find them nowadays) the paste verses macro allows references that cross chapter boundaries. Which led me to experiment and discover that the copy verses icon (under the Bibles (translations)) tabs in the main window, sixth from the left/third from the search icon) does allow copying references that cross chapter boundaries.

I learn such interesting things reading these questions. :D

Edited by Baunllaw, 06 August 2012 - 06:30 PM.

#8 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

This is easy to do with Tooltip Tool NT (T4) or with e-Sword Hotkey if you have the list of references. Both T4 and Hotkey require a version, any version, of e-Sword Macros to be installed. Once this is installed, via Hotkey, you just hightlight the references you want to lookup, press Ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, and hit the Macro hotkey. DONE! You can choose which version of the Bible from the ones you have installed in e-Sword you want to use for the lookup. In T4, just click the ESM menu (e-Sword macros), and select "Lookup". DONE! You can also select which version you want to use in T4.

Edited by BH., 06 August 2012 - 07:32 PM.

#9 mikecindi

mikecindi

e-Sword Supporter

• Veterans
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 06 August 2012 - 09:24 PM

This is easy to do with Tooltip Tool NT (T4) or with e-Sword Hotkey if you have the list of references. Both T4 and Hotkey require a version, any version, of e-Sword Macros to be installed. Once this is installed, via Hotkey, you just hightlight the references you want to lookup, press Ctrl+C to copy them to the clipboard, and hit the Macro hotkey. DONE! You can choose which version of the Bible from the ones you have installed in e-Sword you want to use for the lookup. In T4, just click the ESM menu (e-Sword macros), and select "Lookup". DONE! You can also select which version you want to use in T4.

Thank you for the tip. I did not have the macros installed since I don't use MS Office on all my machines (don't have the license for all of them). I will check this out tomorrow. It should save me a lot of time and "human error".

#10 BH.

BH.

Utility Developer

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

You do not need to have Word installed, in order to install the macros.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users