Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo
- - - - -

Windows and Linux

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 padeco

padeco

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

hi there,
i have installed the Alfred greek NT; however, the fonts do not show properly. using esword 10. also, does anyone have any idea if esword would ever be available for linux, without having to use a different module such as cross over or wine?
anyways, excellent stuff!
many thanks

#2 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 22 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

hi there,
i have installed the Alfred greek NT; however, the fonts do not show properly. using esword 10. also, does anyone have any idea if esword would ever be available for linux, without having to use a different module such as cross over or wine?
anyways, excellent stuff!
many thanks

I don't believe e-Sword will ever be natively available on Linux. As for Alford, I'm reworking that module now into verse by verse commentary divisions, with footnotes and proper Greek display.

#3 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

sad to hear that esword may not be available natively on linux. is that due to any complication in programing?

Yes, and no.

For all practical purposes, there is no re-usable code in the Windows program, when porting from Windows to Linux. Consequently one has to rewrite the Linux program from scratch.

However, if one ports from Linux to Windows, most of the code can be re-used.
Likewise, when porting from Linux to Mac OS X, most of the code can be reused, but porting from mac OS X to Linux requires throwing most of the source code away.

Writing Linux code is far more challenging than writing Windows code, which, in turn, is more challanging than writing Mac OS X code, because one has less knowledge of what will available in the system, from both a hardware and software perspective.
  • What Windows Manager (WM) is used? Both Windows and Mac OS X offer one WM. There are at least a dozen WMs for Ubuntu. Other Linux distros offer as many, if not more WMs;
  • What chip is used? Windows runs on 32 bit Intel chip architecture, with passing glances at 64 bit Intel chip archecture. Mac OS X runs on 64 bit Intel chip architecture. Linux is available for more than 50 different chips, which can be either 32 bit, 64 bit, or 128 bit architecture. These 50 chips are not Intel chip compatible.);
There is one programming language that comes close to write once, run anywhere, and that is Python. For commercial reasons, Rick can't rewrite e-Sword in Python.

jonathon

#4 padeco

padeco

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 05:34 AM

FYI...

Bible analyzer now will run native in Windows, Linux, and Mac.

Yes, and no.

For all practical purposes, there is no re-usable code in the Windows program, when porting from Windows to Linux. Consequently one has to rewrite the Linux program from scratch.
There is one programming language that comes close to write once, run anywhere, and that is Python. For commercial reasons, Rick can't rewrite e-Sword in Python.

jonathon

hi guys,
thanks for the updates!

#5 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:58 AM

It is possible to run eSword on Linux, but that 'possible' is more than uphill... it's a vertical climb while upside down...

http://ubuntuforums....830&postcount=1

I love Linux, and particularly Ubuntu. With Linux your PC is always running at its optimum, with no lag caused by the bloatiness of the operarting system. Sadly, at times it's complexity in configuration, and lack of vendor support, can let it down. Although windows gets trashed from time to time, and rightly so, because for all the super fast hardware you could have in your PC, it's the operating system that slows it down.This said, it's because of Windows and its accessibility that computers are now practically at everyone's fingertips. People who are thousands of miles away, are now only miliseconds away.

I'm going to look a little further into e-sword on Ubuntu, it's been a while, and a number of versions of it have since flowed under the bridge since I last tried. Opportunity and health are not in my favor, but it's going to be a nice little challenge. Yes, a nice little challenge. :)

#6 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:30 AM

it's because of Windows and its accessibility that computers are now practically at everyone's fingertips.

The ubiquity of desktop computers, and their peripherals has far more to do with IBM, and the hardware clone makers, than Microsoft.

Microsoft WIndows set back desktop computing by at least twenty years, and possibly thirty to forty years.

I'm going to look a little further into e-sword on Ubuntu,

Wait for Ubuntu Christian Edition 12.04, or whatever the distro creators decide to call it, to be released. (It has been ready for almost a month. Some legal issues related to its name need to be resolved,prior to being released.)

but it's going to be a nice little challenge.

Right now, CrossOver is the most reliable emulator with which to run e-Sword. This is a commercially distributed program, for which a coupon is available at eStudySource.com.

I haven't tried T3 and its brethern under either WINE or CrossOver. For them to work, Mono has to be installed. Whilst Microsoft hasn't yet started suing individuals for using Mono, their front organizations have started filing frivelous lawsuits based on violating non-patents that Microsoft had released under similar covenants to sue.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 08 August 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#7 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,890 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

The ubiquity of desktop computers, and their peripherals has far more to do with IBM, and the hardware clone makers, than Microsoft.

Microsoft WIndows set back desktop computing by at least twenty years, and possibly thirty to forty years.

Wait for Ubuntu Christian Edition 12.04, or whatever the distro creators decide to call it, to be released. (It has been ready for almost a month. Some legal issues related to its name need to be resolved,prior to being released.)

Right now, CrossOver is the most reliable emulator with which to run e-Sword. This is a commercially distributed program, for which a coupon is available at eStudySource.com.

I haven't tried T3 and its brethern under eitehr WINE or CrossOver. For them to work, Mono has to be installed. Whilst Microsoft hasn't yet started suing individuals for using Mono, their front organizations have started filing frivelous lawsuits based on violating non-patents that Microsoft had released under similar covenants to sue.

jonathon

I'll tell ya man, after reading the repeated "nightmareish" threads here (plus what I get in email) about running e-Sword on linux and Wine (do you need to drink wine to have more patience?, haha) and also on the Ubantu forum, it makes me to never even want to install linux if I also want to run e-Sword. That's just an outsider's perspective, who sees the search complaints, the font complaints, greek/hebrew complaints, etc. I've never tried it but to me, it's pretty obvious that an application really needs to run natively on a computer or your going to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and you may never get it to work exactly right. And each e-Sword version upgrade brings new complaints and troubleshooting and... ughhh.. :)

But my perspective is also different. I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, my pc runs it fast, and all my must-have apps run fine in Windows. So being content probably goes along way toward my avoidance of trying to emulate Windows on Linux.

#8 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

it makes me to never even want to install linux if I also want to run e-Sword.

That is part of the reason one should select the software, and then the OS that it runs on.

Xiphos is the only semi-decent Biblical software for Linux. It doesn't have the range of subject matter in resources, that e-Sword has. OTOH, it doesn't have the issues with potential copyvio that e-Sword has.

I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, my pc runs it fast, and all my must-have apps run fine in Windows.

Win7 trashed more of my data, at incredibly critical times, than I would have believed possible for any OS to do.

My housemate is stuck with Win7 on the laptop, even though it almost runs 70% of the time, completely fails to run properly 30% of the time, and never runs correctly. In the last year, more was spent on tech support (so much for the included tech support that came with the laptop), than for the laptop, and the software that is needed to run it. The usual tech-support fix is to either wipe the drive, and reset to factory settings, or else restore to an earlier point, where it didn't work, but at least didn't fail as badly as the current point.

jonathon

Edited by jonathon, 08 August 2012 - 09:39 AM.

#9 BigPaw

BigPaw

e-Sword Fanatic

• Veterans
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

That is part of the reason one should select the software, and then the OS that it runs on.

Xiphos is the only semi-decent Biblical software for Linux. It doesn't have the range of subject matter in resources, that e-Sword has. OTOH, it doesn't have the issues with potential copyvio that e-Sword has.

Win7 trashed more of my data, at incredibly critical times, than I would have believed possible for any OS to do.

My housemate is stuck with Win7 on the laptop, even though it almost runs 70% of the time, completely fails to run properly 30% of the time, and never runs correctly. In the last year, more was spent on tecfh support (so much for the included tech support that came with the laptop), than for the laptop, and the software that is needed to run it. The usual tech-support fix is to either wipe the drive, and reset to factory settings, or else restore to an earlier point, where it didn't work, but at least didn't fail as badly as the current point.

jonathon

Thousands of millions more people are using computers because of the accessibility Microsoft has given them than Unix/Linux has - and Unix has been around much longer. The amount of elderly people that are able to simply turn on a computer and use it for what they want to use it for, the diversity of software available for the education of our young ones, all thanks to the accessiblilty of Windows. You didn't mention any specific problems your friend was experiencing, but to have such intermittent faults over a long period of time, following reimaginng or reinstallation, points totally to a hardware fault and not the OS - I would be very happy and willing to offer advice on this if you would let me, please?

If Linux did everything I wanted it to, I would drop Windows in heartbeat. Your friend spent money and time getting hands-on support, but he/she should be thankful for that, because for Linux at present there is no such support unless you are prepared to venture into Linux forums and be barracked with "Read the manual", or "Read these 25 pages of instructions and type in every command exactly or you will have to start again..."

Anyway, I'm sorry if I have turned this helpful thread into a Window v Linux debate. People in the field of Linux are extremely knowledgeable and capable, and seeing eSword on Ubuntu will depend partly on the nod of Mr. Meyers, if that hasn't already happened, and partly with the interest of a Linux 'Guru' who has time and tolerance for Christian resources as this. These days my health only allows me to function for a few hours a day - which is always better than being dead. [Psalms 115:17-18]

eSword on Linux would be a good resource. :)

#10 jonathon

jonathon

e-Sword Fanatic

• Contributors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 753 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thousands of millions more people are using computers because of the accessibility Microsoft has given them than Unix/Linux has - and Unix has been around much longer.

Microsoft's dominance was gained through activity that was illegal, and for which it was convicted in courts, in half a dozen countries around the world.

You didn't mention any specific problems your friend was experiencing, but to have such intermittent faults over a long period of time, following reimaginng or reinstallation, points totally to a hardware fault and not the OS

The issue is clearly with the OS. (We've been told that by Microsoft Tech Support, HP Tech Support, GW Micro Tech Support, Freedom Scientific Tech Support, and the A11Y tech support we use. The faults are not intermittent. They are predictable, and unstoppable. Well, they are stoppable, but only if uses a computer that has a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. IOW, a computer that fails section 508 criteria.)

Your friend spent money and time getting hands-on support, but he/she should be thankful for that, because for Linux at present there is no such support

FWIW, 7/24/365 paid tech support for Linux is available. Paid level 1 tech support for Linux costs roughly the same as paid level 2 tech support for Windows. Paid level 2 tech support for Linux costs roughly the same as paid level 3 tech support for Windows.

For various reasons, the firms that provide paid tech support for Linux do not advertise that aspect of their business.

eSword on Linux would be a good resource. :)

e-Sword as a native program on *Nix would be great.

jonathon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users