Please read the Forum Rules before posting.

Photo

Commentaries - Alford, Henry - The Greek Testament (4 vols)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Josh Bond

Josh Bond

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationGallatin, TN

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:46 AM

File Name: Alford, Henry - The Greek Testament (4 vols)

File Submitter: Josh Bond

File Submitted: 30 Jul 2012

File Category: Commentaries

Author: Henry Alford
e-Sword Version: 9.x - 10.x

e-Sword Edition of The Greek Testament
This commentary has been specifically formatted for e-Sword.

• Comments are properly divided verse by verse instead of the previous version's bulky, chapter-by-chapter division.
  • Greek and Hebrew are properly rendered to avoid the Greek "box" font errors of the previous version.
  • The footnotes are included in this version.
  • The e-Sword font choices and sizes apply to the text
  • Implicit references converted to explicit - ToolTipped (clickable verse references)
  • 20 megabytes of commentary on nearly every Greek word in the New Testament!
  • Missing comments from the previous version restored — 7,075+ comments in this version.
e-Sword 10.1 is required for proper display. Earlier versions will show passage comments out of order.

The Greek Testament
This classic, time-tested reference is written in English on the Greek text of the New Testament.

Written from 1849-1861, Alford's Greek Testament became Henry Alford's lasting legacy. Alford provides grammatical, literary, lexical, and textual analysis on nearly every Greek word in the New Testament.

The commentary's scholarship is exemplary, as it emerged in a era when people were more disciplined and educated. It's a work of immense thought and study. When you consider the amount of information Alford had to filter, study, and analyze, all before the age of digital retrieval systems, photo copiers, and electric typewriters, the results are even more impressive.

Even today, Alford remains one of the most influential, authoritative Greek commentaries, often cited in books, dissertations, and blogs.

John Piper says The Greek Testament "comes closer more consistently than any other human commentator to asking my kinds of questions".

John MacArthur's Masters Seminary, who lists this resource with a must-have asterisk in: 850 Books for Biblical Expositors.

Charles Spurgeon says The Greek Testament "is an invaluable aid to the critical study of the text of the New Testament. You will find in it the ripened results of a matured scholarship ... generally highly impartial, always worthy of respect"

The volumes are:
  • Volume I
    • Part I: Matthew–Mark
    • Part II: Luke–John
  • Volume II
    • Acts–II Corinthians
  • Volume III
    • Galatians–Philemon
  • Volume IV
    • Part I: Hebrews
    • Part II: James–Revelation
Posted Image

Click here to download this file

#2 JoelPo

JoelPo

New to Bible Support

• Veterans
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:39 PM

I enjoy reading and using Alford, but on my computer with e-sword 10 running, the Greek words usually have what seems like Strong's numbers in them, i.e., part Greek letter with numbers following. Is there anything I can do to make the text display correctly? What font do I need to have loaded so that it will read as it should?

#3 Ebed Doulos

Ebed Doulos

e-Sword Fanatic

• Members (T)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

I use SBL Greek and SBL Hebrew. A free download can be had here:

http://www.sbl-site....licalfonts.aspx
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users